Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Slammed c6 issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Slammed c6 issues

Anybody else on here have a slammed to the ground c6...I slammed my c6 a while back and while i love the look i just cant take it anywhere...I have to park it at the clubhouse where i live b/c it wont make it over the speed bump...I can barely get on on a lift using boards just to get my oil changed..The biggest concern is if i have to get if towed ..Is there anyway to tow a car this low (i mean getting my z06 on a rollback is choir) What should i do maybe get a set of coilovers and raise it up a little bit or what...I just see it being a big problem going to the track,breaking something (which im good at), and being screwed...I mean i really dont see anyway to get this car home if i need a tow.....Please chime in on opinions and if anyone has ran into a problem having to tow your slammed vette...thanks
matt
Old 12-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First- If your talking about a drag racing track, slamming a vette isn't the best.
Second- If you would need a tow, tell the tow service what you have and if they can't tow it without damaging it not to bother.
I've seen some flat bed tow trucks carry ramps to decrease the angle of the bed.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:22 AM
TECH Regular

If it's too low just raise it up a little...coilovers are nice but quite pricey
Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
If it's too low just raise it up a little...coilovers are nice but quite pricey
Yeah but i really want a set of coilovers anyways...Maybe a pfadt or lgm set...I am just wondering the benefits of a set of coilovers and if it is really worth it..It is going to see a lot of track time. And the car is realllllly low up front so i think it is definately going to need to come up some.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your car is that low, a flatbed tow truck will not be able to tow it. I lowered, at the time, my C5Z on stock bolts. No way in hell it would be able to get pulled up onto a flatbed tow truck. Unless you know somebody with a car trailer, enclosed being the best since when the door come's down in the back and it has a slight incline.

My family has a open trailer with pull down ramps. For the vette and my bro's WS6 we had to fab up some 6 foot long ramps to make the incline less. The trailer is a dove tail. Our trailer cost us about $2200. It's a steel 18'. There was a extra $200 for 4 wheel electric brakes, came standard with 2 wheel electric brakes. A little heavy but it pulls great, never a problem.

If and when I got a C6Z coilovers will be one of the first mods, heard nothing but great things about them over the shock/leaf spring setup. My buddy on here said Pfadt had a sale on coilovers for $1350, not sure they were that low. Also seen LG coilovers for $1650 shipped a week back.

If you are going to track the car alot, then instead of almost $2k for coilovers and a alignment, buy yourself a nice trailer and a good set of tie downs. It is always nice to have a backup plan. I have seen too many idiot tow drivers and dyno shops tie a car down by the rims!
Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scramblerman
If your car is that low, a flatbed tow truck will not be able to tow it. I lowered, at the time, my C5Z on stock bolts. No way in hell it would be able to get pulled up onto a flatbed tow truck. Unless you know somebody with a car trailer, enclosed being the best since when the door come's down in the back and it has a slight incline.

My family has a open trailer with pull down ramps. For the vette and my bro's WS6 we had to fab up some 6 foot long ramps to make the incline less. The trailer is a dove tail. Our trailer cost us about $2200. It's a steel 18'. There was a extra $200 for 4 wheel electric brakes, came standard with 2 wheel electric brakes. A little heavy but it pulls great, never a problem.

If and when I got a C6Z coilovers will be one of the first mods, heard nothing but great things about them over the shock/leaf spring setup. My buddy on here said Pfadt had a sale on coilovers for $1350, not sure they were that low. Also seen LG coilovers for $1650 shipped a week back.

If you are going to track the car alot, then instead of almost $2k for coilovers and a alignment, buy yourself a nice trailer and a good set of tie downs. It is always nice to have a backup plan. I have seen too many idiot tow drivers and dyno shops tie a car down by the rims!
see you know exactly what im talking about....I have a good wrecker guy that does all of my towing a i trust him completely. But there is absolutely noway to get that bitch on a flatbed....My c6 z06 is stock height and it barely gets on a flatbad with ramps safely and i will never ever lower that thing..So when i break something i really dont mind getting towed right now thats not really a big issue...Im starting to really want a truck and trailer but knowing the kind of person i am i will want a nice truck and things will really get out of hand and now is not the time haha... Coilovers: will they help me in a straight line? Help my 60ft times?Prevent spinning..Really about all i know about them is you can adjust your ride height..Tell me what you know or have heard!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dunno, i think a good tow truck driver should be able to lift anything,..given the proper tools(wood ramps-multiple)...and patience. My car is 5/8ths off the ground where my front deflector is. I also can't, and do not take the car to certain places,...you just can't, unless you wanna scrape up your rockers. Were i live, i have speed bumps to, and it does blow but, approached at the right angle, its doable.

I've been on so many flatbeads,...i plan on adding a $40 tow hook on the front of the car so a hook could easily grab it, without having to run chains underneath the car,...cause that's were the problem lyes. The amount of clearence from the bottom spoiler to the bed will have little or no clearence. If you had a classy tow hook on, you wouldn't have to worry about that aspect, anymore.

Another mod, every slammed vette needs, is the front skid plate wheels that get attached to the bottom radiator support. These help a lot, i have them on my vette, and installed them several times. Great idea, a must have.

As far as coil overs,....by far, one of the best mods I've done to any car. I've installed them on several different makes, and lemme tell you, they transform the cars into handling beasts. you thought your Z handles good now,....nah,...lol, do the coilovers,....it'll be one of the best things you could do. I run a set of doug rippies, and love em.

Keep it low but useable.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy some rocker guards and front wheels or shileds for the lower radiator frame cradle.

LG coil overs are nicer than the Pfadts because you don't have to drill holes through your rear floor boards, so that you can adjust the shocks.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
Buy some rocker guards and front wheels or shileds for the lower radiator frame cradle.

LG coil overs are nicer than the Pfadts because you don't have to drill holes through your rear floor boards, so that you can adjust the shocks.
Thats pretty much what i have narrowed down to..Only question is do i go with the lg gt2 (i believe thats what they are called) or do i go with the lg adjustables(Im assuming you would have to drill through the floorboard on any adjustable shock like that) Really i need two sets...One for my c6 z06 which i plan on being mainly a track car only driving on the street when i really just feel like it. I also need a set for the 09 c6 mentioned above that i want to raise up a little bit..If i go with the non adjustable lg coilovers how much will they effect the ride height on both cars..Will it lower my z06 (which i really dont wanna do) and will it raise my c6 up at all...Thanks for the help guys...When i get closer to pulling the trigger i will probably give lou a call to get his input..One more thing, is there any other place that i can get lg coilovers from besides lgm bc i have had some terrible experiences with them in the past...Any sponsors on here maybe
Old 12-16-2010, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redcorvette2000
Thats pretty much what i have narrowed down to..Only question is do i go with the lg gt2 (i believe thats what they are called) or do i go with the lg adjustables(Im assuming you would have to drill through the floorboard on any adjustable shock like that) Really i need two sets...One for my c6 z06 which i plan on being mainly a track car only driving on the street when i really just feel like it. I also need a set for the 09 c6 mentioned above that i want to raise up a little bit..If i go with the non adjustable lg coilovers how much will they effect the ride height on both cars..Will it lower my z06 (which i really dont wanna do) and will it raise my c6 up at all...Thanks for the help guys...When i get closer to pulling the trigger i will probably give lou a call to get his input..One more thing, is there any other place that i can get lg coilovers from besides lgm bc i have had some terrible experiences with them in the past...Any sponsors on here maybe
I would go with the LG Adjustables for both cars. You "Do Not" have to drill holes in the floor of your car to use the adjustments on the LG Adjustables.

You can buy them from EastCoast Supercharging.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001
I would go with the LG Adjustables for both cars. You "Do Not" have to drill holes in the floor of your car to use the adjustments on the LG Adjustables.

You can buy them from EastCoast Supercharging.
Thanks guys i appreciate it
Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 AM
c6r
On The Tree

My c6 is dropped an I've had it towed several times....? They have to know what the hell there doing an you have to be there to make sure it's done correctly
Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by c6r
My c6 is dropped an I've had it towed several times....? They have to know what the hell there doing an you have to be there to make sure it's done correctly
Your car is just as low as mine too...Looks pretty badass
Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 PM

How low is your car now without coilovers? I'm curious cuz I has aftermarket lowering bolts on mine n it's still too high for me. What u did to yours? If it's slammed in another way without buying coilovers then ill do that
Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Disboitee
How low is your car now without coilovers? I'm curious cuz I has aftermarket lowering bolts on mine n it's still too high for me. What u did to yours? If it's slammed in another way without buying coilovers then ill do that
I just bought the lowering bolt kit(corvette guys) Especially up front i just dont see anyways it could get any lower...It looks like a magazine car but is just absolutely hazardous to drive on the street....My front spoiler is almost toast from rubbing against minor things...

Quick Reply: Slammed c6 issues