Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Who has gone from an F-Body to a C6 Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it, I promise you won't regret it.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my 1998 Z28 in Nov of 1997 and have over 321,000 miles on it but I always wanted a Corvette so i bought a 2008 Z51 and it is my DD now. I still have the Z but the wife drives it now. I must say the Z28 has a more comfortable ride. I replaced the shocks in the vette with Bilstein HD's and they made it a bit more smooth, next I will get rid of the run flats.
Attached Thumbnails Who has gone from an F-Body to a C6 Vette?-12-797d906b-2543414-800.jpg   Who has gone from an F-Body to a C6 Vette?-imag0038.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Larry
Now to this?
The thought has definitely crossed my mind, but between purchase price and modifications, I've already spent over $90k on this car. Not ready to reset and start all over. Besides, I am already running ~650HP Naturally Aspirated. Now that the engine has all forged internals, if I get a wild hair I could bolt on a Procharger and call it a day.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CySevans
The thought has definitely crossed my mind, but between purchase price and modifications, I've already spent over $90k on this car. Not ready to reset and start all over. Besides, I am already running ~650HP Naturally Aspirated. Now that the engine has all forged internals, if I get a wild hair I could bolt on a Procharger and call it a day.
Almost the same situation here. I don't have all the mods you do but if I added a cam I feel I would be right there with the new C7Z06. And my 2012 only has 13K miles. Hard to justify a new car when what I have is like new. And for me I really don't need all the new gismos the new cars have. My 2012 has more than I need. Sure would be nice to have that new 8 speed auto though!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Teching In

I just traded my f150 in on a 2009 C6 z51 with 6MT today. Worth it, yes. There's no direct comparison, they are different cars. The C6 does not have the same road feel the camaro does, just as easy to drive though with a lot more grip available. Brakes are in a different solar system, best braking car I've ever been in. Thats comparing to recent cars like Jaguar XKR, Aston Martin Rapide, and Shelby GT500. The initial bite is a little weak but keep pressing and the brakes stop very very well.

The NPP exhaust I think is perfect, quiet while cruising and freakin loud when you get on it. I'm not going to consider exhaust at this point. Maybe headers and cats but not cat back.

My first mods will be Mcgard wheel locks and driver mod. I'm comfortable in the car but will need some experience to get the most out of it. I started from a stop twice in 3rd gear today lol. Car does not like that! It's got a short shifter on it and will take some getting used to.

It doesn't feel as fast as the GT500 was stock but probably is, power delivery is very different. I don't get excited much when driving but this is a good car. Get one.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I don't how people say the F-body is a more comfortable ride, I can even compare them. I have a 2005 Z51 and its night and day from any other car I've had and the best overall car too.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by X R8TED
I don't how people say the F-body is a more comfortable ride, I can even compare them. I have a 2005 Z51 and its night and day from any other car I've had and the best overall car too.
I think the vette is much stiffer but deals with bumps and imperfections much better. Maybe the stiffness is what they are talking about? It doesn't bother me at all, mine is also a Z51, I just confirmed on my glovebox door. Duno why the dealer didn't mention it.

My only nod so far to the fbody is you feel more connected to the road but you don't miss that in the vette so i duno if it's a plus or not.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Almost, bought two new 69 Z28'S (Not at one Time) before them a 64 Split Window FI, A 63 Roadster, 67 Big Block Roadster. A 63 409 Impala 400 HP I think, can't remember but wasn't a 340HP or 425. Then the first really nice car that put that grin on your face when you slid in behind the wheel, a 67 Impala SS 427 4-speed with a 4:11 gear. Then a couple of real lows but they looked great and were fun to drive. A new 81 Z28 and before that a yellow 76 Corvette. Maybe one of the best handling and performing car I had owned until I special ordered (And you could do it ) a 1993 Z28, the a new 98 Z28. Both were red and friends that didn't know cars did not know I had traded. Then I bought my first real performer and handler a black 98 C5. It was far above anything I had owned before. Then something I had more enjoyment in than anything before a black 2003 SS Silverado which I still have but now it has 500 BHP and has 55,000 miles just barely and looks like new. It is for sale right now along with my 95 Competition Yellow C4 Corvette. The C4 is or was my Dailey driver. My Parkinson's has gotten more advanced and my Rheumatoid Arthritis has invaded every joint in my body including my low back. With the 12" high threshold in the 95 I have to almost crawl out of it unless someone is around and I pick one leg at a time up and over the ledge the hold my breath the. Plant my walking stick and lunge out trying not to show my pain. I can get in and out of the 98 C5 without much problem but it has 21,000 miles on it and my youngest of two Daughters has asked could she buy it when I can no longer drive. My plan is to buy a good base car when the truck and the 95 Corvette sell then I want to build the by far the fastest car both in the 1/4 mile and on the top end.
I change my mind everynight as to what it will be, I want something that will be really fast because I am going to run it on the dragstrip and on 1/2 mile time trials on airport runway but also want it to handle for autocross and at open track events.
My 98 C5 has 390 RWHP and is pretty bad, I have found a red very low mile and reasonably priced 03 Z06 but it is sale only and I want to work with the money generated by the cars and truck I own now. Also looking at a very low mile 04 C5, a low mile 05 GTO and a super nice 1970 SS Chevelle but it would take more to get it as fast and to handle as good as the other candidates.
Who says you can't go back, remember the red 93 and 98 Z28'S? I have found a red 2002 27,000 mile Z28!
It is between the Z06 and the Z28 but for the money saved on the Camaro I could put two turbos or a supercharger on it.
Long answer but comparing the LS1 Camaro and the Z06 there is no comparison, the Z06 hands down for stock to stock.
Oh, I didn't tell you about the two 62 Vettes, many 55 through 57 Chevys a few not so special street rods. I tried to count and there has been over fifty signicant cars not counting any of the traders.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would do it in a heartbeat and I have only been for a ride in a base H/C C5 and H/CI C5Z at autocross.

I don't have the coin right now especially since we are looking to buy our first house.

IMO, I would just accept that you won't get back what you have into the Camaro...maybe not even HALF. Fbody's are dirt cheap and have no where near the resale value of a Vette.

I think my dream car (that is actually attainable and DD-able) would be a HCI with Corsa exhaust Targa Top C5 in either White, Black or Pewter with tinted windows and lowered....yes I have been thinking and eyeballing vets HARD for the last year or so LOL.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

...And for all the future readers: Ive owned a 1999 Firehawk for exactly 9 years to the month i sold it. Amazing car! I did almost every suspension bolt on available and other bolt ons, kept it like new.. Then bought a 08 z51 c6 (few years ago).
I loved the hawk, miss it, but the vette is nicer to drive. Its more refined, quieter, smoother, variable power assist steering, softer ride with lighter feeling wheels over the bumps and in all transitions. All round lighter more delicate nimble feeling car. More "sports car not muscle car" . Vette has Good brakes and very light pedal, the shifter similar to firehawk but more 'clicky', same clutch but lighter pedal. The gas pedal is very light to press and i don't like it because its wireless and you feel disconnected in comparison and just don't get the same feel as the firehawk had! The Vette doesn't feel that much more powerful to drive with it floored, but I'm over a second quicker in the 1/4mile.
The Z51 package also gives a short 'autocross' gear ratio' that makes shifting happen a lot sooner and more often which i think feels more peppy.
Compared to the hawk around corners my vette tends to be balanced towards a little more understeer because of the rearward weight bias, however easily controlled with throttle in and/or out... The vette is maybe slightly more like you are pivoting on a ball more than a flat board, but still nimble.
The Firehawk did feel VERY secure to drive hard and corner, it felt solid and planted.

For slow speed fun, I don't like how swinging the *** out sideways around a corner is a lot more difficult in the vette as it seems to try to avoid it by unlocking the rear diff, and if you force it it will snap around on you much quicker than the firehawk!
The Firehawk was much easier to drift sideways and around bends, i miss that!
I would have loved to put a blower on the hawk and even taken it to circuits with sticky tires, i was very confident driving it. I think to myself I would have kept the Firehawk if i had the room for it and our other vehicles...

The vette is noticeably more slippery through the air at high speeds, noticeably more than any car I've driven, it has no wind resistance it seems, and i have also taken it up to nearly 300km/hr, its stable. (Note the flat panel aerodynamic underbody with recessed shafts and exhaust, with integrated brake ducts for the callipers).

The interior is slightly nicer in the 08+ models with the glossy carbon-look console, my dash and a-pillars feel like they have a nice textured soft vinyl VS hard plastic dash, also like the NPP exh.valve system is neat (and tuneable), and i really love the proximity no-key fob auto entry/lock/unlock/keyless electric doors, auto dimming mirrors, window indexing, telescopic steering wheel, competition mode etc... Closing the trunk, hood and doors all have a softer sound when shutting too.

Keep both.
Attached Thumbnails Who has gone from an F-Body to a C6 Vette?-pb291246.jpg   Who has gone from an F-Body to a C6 Vette?-img_20150616_212727.jpg  
Old 08-26-2015, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X R8TED
I concur.night and day difference IMO.I love them both.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I haven't gotten rid of the F-bodies, I did add a stablemate:

Name:  81B333CA-E092-4889-A9D7-2D2AE0041CFF_zpsx7olxdp4.png
Views: 145
Size:  714.1 KB

Basically everything everyone has already said, a completely different level of refinement. Oh yea, it's pretty quick too
Old 10-03-2015, 02:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved my ws6 but its tough to beat the 08+ vettes. My 09 c6 is better in every way. It might even be as fast as my old h/c ls1.

Quick Reply: Who has gone from an F-Body to a C6 Vette?