Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Column Lock: Finally the problem found

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Column Lock: Finally the problem found

I have done several of these recalls on the C5's. As many of you know the "fix" or "recall" is to remove the lock plate from the steering column, and install a relay between the BCM and the column lock motor. The lock plate is smaller in diameter and doesnt allow the lock motor pin to engage with the plate therfore not letting it lock, even if the pin is activated.

GM has been battling with the column lock since 1997. The recall was suppose to fix this...but several thousand Corvette owners still reported a "Service Column Lock" on the DIC, or "Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds" message. Some would even report that the car would start then die as you move the car (normal operation of the column lock system).

After having a 03 Z06 come in last week with the DIC displaying "Service Column Lock" and would die as soon as the PCM saw a VSS signal, I hooked up the Tech 2 and found ZERO codes in any of the modules. How can the DIC display the error message w/o throwing any codes?..weird. So I called tech-assist and they informed me that they have found the problem and have been receiving tons of calls lately on this situation. They instructed me to replace the column lock motor and REMOVE the relay that I had originally installed in this car under recall #04006. The lock plate STAYS in the column. So basically the car still thinks the steering wheels is locked, but mechanically it isnt.

This lock motor was covered under the recall and there was no charge to the customer even though the car was out of the 3/36 warranty.

Just a FYI for all you guys battling with this problem.

BTW if you are unaware if your car has or has not had this recall performed, give me the last 8 digits of your VIN and I can check for you.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:51 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

thanks for the info
Old 08-08-2006, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

good info thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joshp14

The recall was suppose to fix this...but several thousand Corvette owners still reported a "Service Column Lock" on the DIC, or "Pull Key and Wait 10 Seconds" message. Some would even report that the car would start then die as you move the car (normal operation of the column lock system).

Yep I get all that with the recall done. After the recall did not cure it, I put in a CLB and it still does it

Printing this and heading to the dealer
Old 08-08-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Resident

This is great info.

the mods should make a stickey of this one.

I owned a C5 before and am well aware of the headaches this can cause.

thanks for posting..

Old 08-08-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

No probs guys...I knew most of you probably wouldnt know as Tech assist told me GM had just figured this out recently. It's not even a service bulletin yet...
Old 02-24-2015, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Default column lock

if you have the computer tuned to turn the vats , pass key & fuel pump cut off (2 mph speed set higher ) why cant you just unplug the column lock when the switch is on, the the column is unlocked ??
Old 03-14-2015, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Josh, can you please check my VIN to see if the recall has been performed?
last 8 # Y5112219

thank you.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Still does it, and shuts car down...

My 1999 C5 has this problem, everything has been replace BCM however it was a Delco aftermarket, TCM, and ECM.. all major components from sitting up for several years. Car runs great but when put in drive and move 2 ft the "steering column lock" message appears, cars shuts done. I looked up recall, called about recall and they said electronic steering column was replaced in 2001 so the ended recall. Can a certified mechanic fix this? No codes, errors, nothing.. VIN# X5128697

Last edited by Mary Alday; 02-29-2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Including VIN
Old 03-01-2016, 12:41 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The thread you replied to was 10 years old. The column lock issue has been sorted out, and any dealership should be able to fix it. You can probably find the most recent fixes in here, or on Corvetteforum. Its been a long time since I looked into it, so I can't tell you off the top of my head what the current best practice is.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Rod
The thread you replied to was 10 years old. The column lock issue has been sorted out, and any dealership should be able to fix it. You can probably find the most recent fixes in here, or on Corvetteforum. Its been a long time since I looked into it, so I can't tell you off the top of my head what the current best practice is.

Holy thread revival.
Just look up: Column lock bypass. Install it...the end. I have done two in the last two months. Simple and easy.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:18 PM

can u check my vin #Y5127598
Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM

Default I have a 2002 Corvette column lock

Originally Posted by joshp14
i have done several of these recalls on the c5's. As many of you know the "fix" or "recall" is to remove the lock plate from the steering column, and install a relay between the bcm and the column lock motor. The lock plate is smaller in diameter and doesnt allow the lock motor pin to engage with the plate therfore not letting it lock, even if the pin is activated.

Gm has been battling with the column lock since 1997. The recall was suppose to fix this...but several thousand corvette owners still reported a "service column lock" on the dic, or "pull key and wait 10 seconds" message. Some would even report that the car would start then die as you move the car (normal operation of the column lock system).

After having a 03 z06 come in last week with the dic displaying "service column lock" and would die as soon as the pcm saw a vss signal, i hooked up the tech 2 and found zero codes in any of the modules. How can the dic display the error message w/o throwing any codes?..weird. So i called tech-assist and they informed me that they have found the problem and have been receiving tons of calls lately on this situation. They instructed me to replace the column lock motor and remove the relay that i had originally installed in this car under recall #04006. The lock plate stays in the column. So basically the car still thinks the steering wheels is locked, but mechanically it isnt.

This lock motor was covered under the recall and there was no charge to the customer even though the car was out of the 3/36 warranty.

Just a fyi for all you guys battling with this problem.

Btw if you are unaware if your car has or has not had this recall performed, give me the last 8 digits of your vin and i can check for you.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

can you check my vin?
last 8: X5105755

thanks
Old 09-18-2020, 12:06 PM

Default steering column lock message

Hi Josh

My battery died then the dreaded steering column lock message popped up. Everything works fine but I would like to reset the error message. The last 8 #'s of my VIN are: 15128764.
Thanks for your help in this matter.

Ed

BTW if you are unaware if your car has or has not had this recall performed, give me the last 8 digits of your VIN and I can check for you.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-20-2023, 01:54 PM

The last 8 on my 1999 X5123333. could you let me know if it was repaired.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

My column stays unlocked they had performed the tsb along time ago on my old 99 auto c5. However when i got it id get the security light and 2mph fuel cut over and over. I installed and lcm5 and it then started reading steering column locked and would cut off.

I finally just had the tuner change the column lock vss fuel cut to 200mph not 2 mph so could keep driving if this message pops up. This was given to by someone else but i worked with the dynotuner and showed and he found exactly where it was and said 2mph raised it to 200mph so i could keep driving if i ever got that message.

Quick Reply: Column Lock: Finally the problem found