Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Need Help Asap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Asap!!!!

I work at my fathers mechanic shop in o-town iowa and today a customer brought in his 2001 ZO6 vette. he wants us to change the oil pan from a two piece to a one piece. he brought us the new pan and everything.

How do u change that pan and still support the engine??? we have it on the lift and r tryin to figure out a way to do this??

ne help would be great??
Old 08-10-2006, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

on a Corvette, you would have to remove the engine to change the oil pan. On a Camaro/F-body, you could unbolt the engine mounts and remove the driveshart, and lift up the engine a few inches. On a Corvette, there is hardly any room as it is, and they have the funky wing-shaped pan. You would have to remove the entire rear axle, torque tube, tranny.... just to lift/tilt the engine any.

Summary: The engine needs to come out, or the entire front engine cradle and suspension needs to be dropped down with the engine supported somehow from above. Fun!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a nifty tool that allows you to remove the lower cradle and change the oil pan. OTC/SPX/Kent Moore makes this tool.

You could put the car in the air and use two screw jacks, one on the balancer and another on the torque tube/bellhousing. Drop the cradle down so far that the nuts are still fully threaded and move the jacks up to move the engine higher. Make sure that the hood is open and that you do not go to high to cause the back of the manifold to hurt the firewall. I have done this way a few times when having to clearance the windage tray for stroker cranks.

Chad

Quick Reply: Need Help Asap!!!!