Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

A/c Won't Kick In!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c Won't Kick In!

I have had my Vette 3 months now and the A/C won't kick in. The orange light flashes a few times and then goes out. The outside temp is above 40f and sometimes 50f here.

The day I picked up the car the guy was fitting a brand new duel climate control display at a cost to him of £300($570) he said the old one had lost it's display.

I found then that I had no heater blower fan, until I replaced the c/c control module with a used one I got on Ebay.com.

When I set the temp to 60f it blows fairly cold but not ice cold! I have tried all different settings and the A/C light will flash a few times then go out.

I posted this on another forum and I was told if my refrigerant was low this would stop the compressor from working.

Is the right as if I put my car into the A/C shop they will put the car on vacuum and refill the refrigerant but they charge £80 ($150) for this.

I have checked the fuses and swapped over the relay with another one in the fuse box.

Anyone else had the same thing?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its true that if the refrigerant is low that the compressor wont kick on or will cut on and off if the refrigerant is at just the right level.

Just go to AutoZone or Advanced and grab a bottle or two of R134a and do it yourself. No reason to pay to have it done. Its idiot proof and even the dumbest of women can do it. The fitting on bottle will only fit one fitting under the hood of the car. You crank up the car, turn the AC on full blast and then connect the bottle to the line. Just watch the gauge on the bottle and when it is in the green, you are fully serviced. If the system is really low, you may need two bottles.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Hi thanks for the reply, I am in the UK and I don't think anyone sells the cans or kits to refill your A/C yourself here. So it looks like a trip to the A/C shop. I am not throwing any HVAC codes.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Automotive A/C systems have low pressure switches to sense a lack of refrigerant. In a few cases, I have seen the switches go bad or get disconnected. If you can find a pressure gauge, it will tell you if your pressure is good and indicate the possibility of the pressure switch being defective. A simple test to see if the pressure switch has shut off the compressor, you can unplug the 2 wire connector from the pressure switch which is the only electrical thing that you will find connected to your A/C lines or possibly your dryer and short the 2 wires together with the A/C on at the control panel. If when you do this, your A/C clutch engages, then it is either low refrigerant or your switch. If the compressor does not come on, then check for electrical continuity between the A/C pressure switch wires and the compressor clutch. Start by making sure they're both plugged in. I have occasionally seen the plugs off at either end. If you have proven continuity all the way to the compressor, the next thing is to check for voltage across the 2 clutch wires at the compressor. I haven't worked on my Vette's A/C system, but on the older GM's the clutch wires are green and black. If there is voltage at the compressor and it's not engaging then you can start looking into replacing the compressor clutch or the entire compressor.
Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for that excellent info I will check what youv'e said before I go for a refill. I don't have anyway of checking pressure though so I will have to leave that.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Automotive A/C systems have low pressure switches to sense a lack of refrigerant. In a few cases, I have seen the switches go bad or get disconnected. If you can find a pressure gauge, it will tell you if your pressure is good and indicate the possibility of the pressure switch being defective. A simple test to see if the pressure switch has shut off the compressor, you can unplug the 2 wire connector from the pressure switch which is the only electrical thing that you will find connected to your A/C lines or possibly your dryer and short the 2 wires together with the A/C on at the control panel. If when you do this, your A/C clutch engages, then it is either low refrigerant or your switch. If the compressor does not come on, then check for electrical continuity between the A/C pressure switch wires and the compressor clutch. Start by making sure they're both plugged in. I have occasionally seen the plugs off at either end. If you have proven continuity all the way to the compressor, the next thing is to check for voltage across the 2 clutch wires at the compressor. I haven't worked on my Vette's A/C system, but on the older GM's the clutch wires are green and black. If there is voltage at the compressor and it's not engaging then you can start looking into replacing the compressor clutch or the entire compressor.
Good Luck!
I just went and looked for the pressure switch, I found it on one of the A/C lines but when I unplugged it it has 3 wires and pins?

which two do I bridge. there is from memory a black wire a white/red and another I think it was green.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

I looked on Ebay.co.uk and found a few kits for refiiling the A/C but they were almost as expensive as having it filled by the A/C shop. The kit was £65 ($123) and a proffessional regas was £70.50 ($134)

So I took it along and they put there machine on and checked the pressure sucked out any oxygen and moisture with the vacuum pump and then refilled with R134.

It works a treat the compressor kicks in when it's needed and it blows ice cold.

Thanks to all that tried to help.

Cheers Andy
Old 04-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

Well that didn't last long turns out my compressor is leaking. I got a new one on Ebay for $255 plus an oricifice tube and accumulator drier.

Has anyone fitted a A/C compressor as the A/C shop is electrical work only and couldn't fit the compressor as they thought the front engine cover would have to come off.

It does look a bit tight in there does anything else need to be remove to get it out?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Luckily haven't had to replace my compressor yet, so I am not aware of what it takes to swap it. I recommend starting a new thread. You can buy a service manual on line. The Haynes and Chiltons are never as good as the factory manuals as far as the details go, but usually enough to get the job done. If you want the factory manual, I think Helm publications is still publishing them for GM

Quick Reply: A/c Won't Kick In!