Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Youngens with C6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Youngens with C6?

alright, all you "young" guys out there with C6's....especially if anybody has the C6 Z06...how the hell did you afford it?

I'd like to go into the "savings" process to try and get one of these babies sometime...I just don't know how its possible without waiting 10 years!

I'd like to have a Z06, while their still newish, probably add a blower to make one hell of a mean car.

I have the big lopey car right now, and its just getting to be a PITA for a street car

I figured the C6 Z06, with a blower would offer some amazing smooth power

any advice for us younger guys wanting such a beautiful car?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

I remember back in the day when you where wondering how you could get into a WS6....

I can't offer any advice this time around... you never said thanks (or even acknowledged me afterwards) for the countless pm's and posts I typed over a several week period you kept asking me questions.

Good luck.

* I also told you not to go too radical with the cam, you'd end up hating it. Remember?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

sorry about that josh! i'll be honest, I wouldn't have remembered it was you unless you said something. I am horrible at remembering names... let alone screen names!

my appologies

the reason I am asking this question, is that I paid off the WS6, have all the mods I want, and now I am looking for a new future toy.

nothing soon, but preplanning i guess. Where as the WS6 was a "i need it right now!"

plus I'm just about done with my BSME degree, and my income is about to make a big jump.

Things to buy:
1) House
2) Vette lol

sorry again!
Old 07-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

I was just being a dick.....

Say, if you really wanna C6 I can get you one very close to cost (I'm a sales/finance manager at a national 'Vette only dealership)

If an '05 is satisfactory then you can get 'em in the mid 30's... extend out the financing an extra year (at the same lower interest rate of the lesser term options)....

and voila!

Hell, sell the WS6 and use a portion of the equity towards the Corvette which is fully capable of being a cost-effective daily driver.

I wouldn't get a C6 Zo6 right now, the brakes (6 pads per rotor) all the other model-specific stuff, it can add up to some serious $$$$ in maintenance..

Get a base C6 with the Z/51 package that gives you the shorter transmission gearing of the previous C5 Zo6 (massive difference in aggression) and add a used Magnacharger to it....
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

no harm done!

but when the time comes, I will have to get ahold of you about that Vette. I might be switching jobs here in the near future, so that will determine how soon until I get it.

I'll probably keep the WS6...I have a bad habit of keeping my cars! lol

Would the smarter idea be to get a base Z/51 vette, and use the money I saved (from not getting the Z06) to modd it with a cam, Magnacharger, exhaust?

would it beat a lightly modded Z? I honestly don't know much about the new vettes. but I agree that the maintance on things like 6 pad brakes are goina be insane

Don't want a C5, too many of those around right now
Old 07-27-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

PM the prices on the new base C6 if ya don't mind. I have GM employee discount, but i don't think anybody uses those on the vettes right now lol
Old 07-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
PM the prices on the new base C6 if ya don't mind. I have GM employee discount, but i don't think anybody uses those on the vettes right now lol
Can't personally sell new ones, I specialize in the classics (big money).. the c4's c5's ande c6's barely pay anything. (not worth the effort, with all the tire kickers and bad credit people floating around like turds.)

I'll cut straight to the bottom line (I'll tell you that I'm going to make $1,000 over my cost and show you) if you can deal with it, I'll settle the details.

The market is flooded with C5's and C6's and there's no money left once you pay for the work done on purchase, the advertising over a 3 month period you'll have it, and the interest charges on the $4 million in inventory, factor in the overhead... screw selling newer ones....

If you really want a new one, I can put you in touch with a personal friend that is a senior citizen at a Mega Chevy dealership.... he can get you a steal on new stuff..

If you add forced induction to a base c6 you will humiliate a mildly modded C6Z.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

sure, shoot me a PM

i honestly haven't checked the prices on these things...i wouldn't even know how much to put down for the 20%

Z/51, black M6
Old 07-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
sure, shoot me a PM

i honestly haven't checked the prices on these things...i wouldn't even know how much to put down for the 20%

Z/51, black M6
Depending on credit, you can put nothing down if you choose. Damn, you can finance the sales tax.

Compared to the 0% down banks, the banks that charge 15% might save 1/2 to 2 points of interest rate.... but an extra 1% interest on a typical C5 loan would only be $9 higher in monthly payment.. peanuts.

Tons of options out there.... different choices for different scenarios.

Too much to type in pm's.. when you want my phone number track me down.
later.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really depends on your credit income. i went to get a new C6 and took a ride in a 8400 mile C5Z06, well the Z06 handed the C6 it's azz in every catagory, so I went home with the Z06. Later i went to get a C6Z06, and had the finacing approved and keys in hand, and told bring your's down when you get a chance. I declined, too much moola, imo. So now I have a C5Z06 that's a C6Z06 killer for less $$ (408 and spray). It's all in what you value, the newest and best, or older and as good? Here's the day I turned it down.

and here's what I traded in on the C5Z06, so work your way up may be the best way if ya really want the C6Z06.

Robert
Old 07-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Not to throw stones... if this is how it will be regarded, but I have a six figure income at the age of 31. Still consider myself a young vette owner in relation to the mass majority. I don't have the C6Z, but I did purchase a new 07' C6 in October. Over two or three months I saved $14,000 for my down payment. Now it's the end of July and I'm on track to having the car paid off by the end of October - almost one year to the day. Paying on it for one year is longer than I wanted, but with a mortgage and other financial responsibilites I had no other choice. I consider myself fortunate to be in a position to buy a brand new vette and pay it off quickly as many others don't. Then again, there are many others who can afford far more than I.

Current Mods to date:
MTI Stage 2E Heads
MTI X1 Cam
MTI CAI
Fast 90
Kooks 1-7/8 LT headers w/ hi-flo cats
Corsa Sports (quad tip)
ASP U/D pulley
160 Thermostat
B&M Ripper

Old 07-28-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

My advice is to be content with your WS6. If you don't like the big cam then swap it out with something more street friendly. I wouldn't really even be thinking about sinking C6Z kinda of dollars until long after you are settled in your career and a home.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not really stuck on the idea of a C6Z in no means...to mean its just a badge right now....Like my WS6, I HAD to have a WS6...but then 6 months later I had upgraded everything that made the "Ws6" that model!

Robert brought up a good point, I assumed that a used C6 base + mods would be greater than C6Z. But he feels a C5Z>C6 (well, with mods)

I would say I am probably 1 year away from kickin tires and seeing what I think.

trying to get some feedback, incase I run across a steal before then

because my goal is to have a boosted Vette, that just owns everything I'll run across. I'm not shooting for "oh I want 1000hp" blah blah blah, no I just want a FI car because I love the feel, and I'm not goina buy a mustang

So I could go Roberts way with the C5Z with a 408 + blower
or C6 + blower cam + blower

Robert, please chime back in, as I've been following your build along the way. I had no idea you almost had a C6Z!
Old 07-28-2007, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's like mdhmi, says:
My advice is to be content with your WS6. If you don't like the big cam then swap it out with something more street friendly. I wouldn't really even be thinking about sinking C6Z kinda of dollars until long after you are settled in your career and a home.
This has been my motto. It's only in the past half dozen years that I have been in a position to have some disposable income ie: kids/schooling done, no mortgage and divorced. Nice 401k for later, so now I do my passion cars/racing.

I would like to think that I am very frugal with my money, as I am not rich by any standards. Eventhough I could have gotten the C6 Z06, it would be a strain on my $$ and other interests. I do plan on getting one though, but will wait until the used market opens up for them and save some big $$.

So, I would say, if your in a position to get an upgrade, go for it. Just don't comprimise your family or your future. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Conkrete21, very good. That's really the smart $$ thing to do, get the car paid off as soon as possible. That's great your allready stable in your life with a nice income. Most of us weren't at that age, I was still struggling. Looks as though you also have a C6Z killer on your hands.
Robert

Yea, my new build is running and going on the dyno Monday. I am excited
Old 07-28-2007, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

not sure what you mean by youngens. i'm 37, and i got a C6Z. i still feel kinda young. i'm not the smartest person to ask about money tho. i have an 07 C6Z with 15k into it, 07 E550 MB (DD), 06 Malibu VLX, 06 Gix 1k (just sold it), 03 Gix 600 (track bike, soon to be for sale), 06 Mountaineer (gf's car that i bought her).
but how did i do it? lots of schooling. stayed in school and training till i was 33, then salary jumped to 275k and it's almost double that now. good luck with your desicion!!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeenis
not sure what you mean by youngens. i'm 37, and i got a C6Z. i still feel kinda young. i'm not the smartest person to ask about money tho. i have an 07 C6Z with 15k into it, 07 E550 MB (DD), 06 Malibu VLX, 06 Gix 1k (just sold it), 03 Gix 600 (track bike, soon to be for sale), 06 Mountaineer (gf's car that i bought her).
but how did i do it? lots of schooling. stayed in school and training till i was 33, then salary jumped to 275k and it's almost double that now. good luck with your desicion!!
Can I ask what field your in? That's a nice salary for sure. I also did mucho schooling, but earn no where near your $$, but doing ok. I am looking to put some $$ into duplexes and have been at the credit union 3 days in a row, so not all my money is wasted on my hobbies, but enough.
Robert
Old 07-28-2007, 02:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Can I ask what field your in? That's a nice salary for sure. I also did mucho schooling, but earn no where near your $$, but doing ok. I am looking to put some $$ into duplexes and have been at the credit union 3 days in a row, so not all my money is wasted on my hobbies, but enough.
Robert
anesthesiologist. good salary true. but too many of those years i was poor and studying and zero life. i'm catching up now tho
Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeenis
anesthesiologist. good salary true. but too many of those years i was poor and studying and zero life. i'm catching up now tho

So you are a Nitrous Junkie just like Robert, myself , and others!

In all seriousness, medical field is where its at it seems. Playing with nos all day
Old 07-28-2007, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

I saved $20,000 for the down payment, sold my Camaro for $$$ and got a 2004 Outlander in the deal too which I'm going to use as a trade in for ~$10,000. Soo $30,000 down and new 2008 Vette here I come!!! Well as soon as I get home in a few months.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Robert56
Conkrete21, very good. That's really the smart $$ thing to do, get the car paid off as soon as possible. That's great your allready stable in your life with a nice income. Most of us weren't at that age, I was still struggling. Looks as though you also have a C6Z killer on your hands.
Robert

Yea, my new build is running and going on the dyno Monday. I am excited
I wouldn't say it's a "C6Z Killer" as the dyno sheet has a layover from a Z06 as a comparison. Even though I make more power than a "Z" the power and torque are almost identical - differences are marginal with myself having the upperhand. Chances are, it would be a very close run edging out front ever so slightly. If I'm not mistake, I have a pretty conservative tune on the car. Either way, I have a blast with it. A little dope is in my future... just need assistance getting the right kit for my needs. Too many options, choices and variables.