Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

13.0 Procharged C5 6 spd. ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 13.0 Procharged C5 6 spd. ???

What do you 6 spd. guys do to hook. I know Im missing a few things, but just curious of any other secrets. Its a 1998 Convertible w/ a P1SC and a cat-back exhaust. Also has a Mcleod clutch and a hardened axle. Bone stock it's been 13.0 at 110 at Rt.66 in Joliet, IL. Put a Procharger on it a few years back, the older one with the air filter box thats about an inch wide behind the radiator. Since putting that on, its only been 13.0 at 117 w/ a 2.22 60 ft. and wheel hopping every gear (tires are some Michelin run flats) including 4th right at the finish line... at Orlando Speedworld which doesn't really do track prep. We just updated the intake on the P1SC to the newer design that moves the radiator and actually lets it breath. Putting NGK plugs in a step colder and gapped at .035.

So I know I need some better tires, maybe Nitto drag radials or even ET Streets in the back. What else can, or should, I do to get a better time outta this? Still using the tune that came w/ the Procharger, anything better out there. Not sure what this should run, but I was hoping for somewhere near the 11's at least. Thanks and any info would be great.

Todd
Old 11-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Get your car tuned.

Now.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 PM
Staging Lane

Get a tune
M/T drag radials
remove front sway bar
headers
Then You should be able to run low 11's easy
Old 11-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Whats a good tuner to get? I've heard of ls1edit. Is there anything else?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need to go and have the car dyno tuned at a performance shop. They use ls1edit as a program to tune your car, usually around $450.

before hand get a set of headers and x-pipe. Also get a DTE trans brace for the rear. Wheel hop is your worst enemy, eliminate it or it will eliminate your rear end. Also get a hardened output shaft too.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

yea i agree go ahead and do the mods that you want to do before then get that thing tuned for sure being F/I your leaving alot on the table with no dyno tune M/Ts and a brace for wheel hop but diff a tune imo
Old 11-26-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssrbolt
What do you 6 spd. guys do to hook. I know Im missing a few things, but just curious of any other secrets. Its a 1998 Convertible w/ a P1SC and a cat-back exhaust. Also has a Mcleod clutch and a hardened axle. Bone stock it's been 13.0 at 110 at Rt.66 in Joliet, IL. Put a Procharger on it a few years back, the older one with the air filter box thats about an inch wide behind the radiator. Since putting that on, its only been 13.0 at 117 w/ a 2.22 60 ft. and wheel hopping every gear (tires are some Michelin run flats) including 4th right at the finish line... at Orlando Speedworld which doesn't really do track prep. We just updated the intake on the P1SC to the newer design that moves the radiator and actually lets it breath. Putting NGK plugs in a step colder and gapped at .035.

So I know I need some better tires, maybe Nitto drag radials or even ET Streets in the back. What else can, or should, I do to get a better time outta this? Still using the tune that came w/ the Procharger, anything better out there. Not sure what this should run, but I was hoping for somewhere near the 11's at least. Thanks and any info would be great.

Todd
You say you already have the clutch and hardened shaft. I agree..DTE Brace, ET Streets and a tune, you will kick some butt. Wheel hop will disappear with tires. A good Dyno tune will get you going good, then take a good Tuner with you to the track. Sometime you can squeeze a little more out of them. My son got both of our vehicles .2 lower in the 1/4 after logging 3-4 runs and re-adjusting and they were both fresh off the dyno. Read Rangers post on launching...he is very helpful as well as Ernie and RobZ and several more. Get that thing going and people will chime in and help you..Pit
Old 11-26-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badzo
yea i agree go ahead and do the mods that you want to do before then get that thing tuned for sure being F/I your leaving alot on the table with no dyno tune M/Ts and a brace for wheel hop but diff a tune imo
Old 11-26-2007, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

yea i agree if you can get your tuner to do a few shake down passes you can 9 out of10 get a little more out of it all else fails put a drag pack or bogarts on it with some sidewall and they look nasty with d10s imo
Old 11-26-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

how much boost are you running and have you done a boost leak test?
have you been back to the track since you updated the intake?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

My first though was a boost leak. Get it dyno tuned and see how much power its putting down. Then get some tires, you cant do much at all with the factory run craps
Old 11-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Teching In

DTE brace. That looks good. Thanks!

Haven't had it back to the track since updating the intake. Actually, the blower hasn't even run since then. Procharger forgot a couple of bends in the box that I needed, so right now its N/A. The bends should be here soon so I can finish it up.

Can the rear handle a launch w/ ET Streets with the Mcleod clutch, hardened shaft and if I get that DTE brace? I've launched Mustangs w/ slicks at 6500... but those are solid rears. I was worried about the IRS in these cars.

Not sure how much boost?!? Haven't had a boost gauge in there yet. I was thinking the same too, kinda. I was actually thinking it might've been blowing out the spark on the stock plugs. I was running the stock plugs before.... so now the 1 step colders and a correct gap setting should help. Also, when I took out the old intake tubes and all, the one that attached to the blower was all contorted, so it may've been leaking out there.

Thanks for all the info guys! Can't wait to get back out on the track after updating / upgrading all this.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Teching In

OK, I just ordered the DTE brace. They are on a 2 week backorder, but whatever.

Any word on if the Diablosport Predator tuner is any good for these cars? We used one on a Procharged 06 Mustang and it was pretty nice.

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Haven't had it back to the track since updating the intake. Actually, the blower hasn't even run since then. Procharger forgot a couple of bends in the box that I needed, so right now its N/A. The bends should be here soon so I can finish it up.

Can the rear handle a launch w/ ET Streets with the Mcleod clutch, hardened shaft and if I get that DTE brace? I've launched Mustangs w/ slicks at 6500... but those are solid rears. I was worried about the IRS in these cars.

Not sure how much boost?!? Haven't had a boost gauge in there yet. I was thinking the same too, kinda. I was actually thinking it might've been blowing out the spark on the stock plugs. I was running the stock plugs before.... so now the 1 step colders and a correct gap setting should help. Also, when I took out the old intake tubes and all, the one that attached to the blower was all contorted, so it may've been leaking out there.

Thanks for all the info guys! Can't wait to get back out on the track after updating / upgrading all this.
With the brace and hardened shafts I am launching between 6500-6800 on ET Streets. No problems so far.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would first get that thing tuned. I know of a couple good shops in Fl, so PM for the names. After that a couple of ET Streets and you should be good.

Keith
Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Pittman, what rims / ET Street size are you using? Will the 26 x 11.5 x 17 ET Streets fit on a set of C5 front 17" rims?

Or what does anyone else use?

6800 launch... nice!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Default rims\tires

Yes sir SS, that is exactly what I am running. Found an extra set of Zo6 rims for $500 and am using the front 17" rims for my ET Streets on the rear ! Keep me posted on that Bad Boy when you get it going.
We are meeting @ Gainesville Raceway on Dec 08th if you can make it ?? Gates open at 10 am...probably a 2 hour drive for you. We are about an hour-15 min away.

Here is a pic of my car launching (look how the tires give, keeps from snaping things) and a vid of my new 390 gear from last week. Little faster now....ran 11.53..(hit the brakes hard) @ 91 mph. Wish I had run all the way thru now ! The picture was my worst sixty foot of the day, 1.657 & the vid below was a best, 1.489 sixty foot, launching around 6500 rpm. Pit-man

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...e/DSC_2921.jpg

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...=115391mph.flv

Last edited by pittman; 11-27-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: info
Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Pittman,

Won't be able to make Dec. 8th. The PRI show is going on in Orlando so Ill be there checking it out. Thanks for the tip on the Z06 rims. Im trying to find a set of 17 x 9.5 ones right now.

Also, that DTE brace is on a 2 week backorder, so it'll be at least that long till I can get it back onto the track.

Last edited by ssrbolt; 11-29-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

some people have broken their rears with LESS power and more drivetrain mods launching these cars while some people with MORE power and less mods have gotten many trouble free passes with low 60's. I think it comes down to the technique more then anything else. If you shock the drivetrain on the launch and the tires dead hook something has got to give, usually its the weakest link in the drivetrain, whatever that is for your setup.

Having a tire with a taller soft sidewall to absorb the initial shock helps a lot. I have a McLeod twin, DTE output shaft & brace. I lauch around 4000 RPM (ish) and have cut multipal 1.4x 60's w/o a single driveline issue on 26x11.5x16" MT ET Streets. I would not try that on an 18" DR, it would be asking for trouble.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like they have pretty much answered your question, but here is my recipe for hooking and we are probably close on power levels. I have done 1.6 60's on this, with no tire spin.

DTE rear with hardened shafts
DTE rear/tranny brace
Tex clutch
CCW drag pkg, 26" ET streets @ 15psi