Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Drivetrain issue - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain issue - HELP

Why does my shifter vibrate and the car shakes very bad when I rev it up in Neutral? Also whenever I somewhat lay into it, around 2.5k rpms, the shifter started shaking and vibrating violently. The only thing I can think of it being is a warped clutch. Any other opinions?

Also the car shifts normal, there are no weird noises coming from the shifter area when idling or driving, and there are no weird noises coming from the shifter area when the clutch pedal is pressed in or depressed.

Last edited by c5_ls1_6spd; 08-05-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Going up a hill and you get on the gas, does the clutch slip or do the same outcome? If so then I'd say clutch. Vibrating in nuetral is normal for most of the cars I've seen with aftermarket shifters.

When you say you lay into it at 2.5krpms is the car in nuetral also. If so worst case would be torque tube bushings. Most likely I would think its just the lack of rotational mass to dampen any vibration under te rapid throttle acceleration.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
Going up a hill and you get on the gas, does the clutch slip or do the same outcome? If so then I'd say clutch. Vibrating in nuetral is normal for most of the cars I've seen with aftermarket shifters.

When you say you lay into it at 2.5krpms is the car in nuetral also. If so worst case would be torque tube bushings. Most likely I would think its just the lack of rotational mass to dampen any vibration under te rapid throttle acceleration.

The car never vibrated until I had the aluminum flywheel and spec 3+ installed. when I say lay into, I'm speaking about the car being under load. Going up a hill or on a level surafce, the clutch does not slip at. The vibrations due however go away at high rpm. It seems as though it vibrates from about 2k to 5k and then it's smoothes out again. Between 2k and 5k, the shifter shakes violently and when I grab the shifter it feels like my arm is about to be shook loose. Also if I put the car in neutral while rolling or stopped and depress the clutch and rev it up, the shifter and car vibrates. I'm thinking I have a warped flywheel or clutch, but I'd like you alls opinions too.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5

werd.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by c5_ls1_6spd
The car never vibrated until I had the aluminum flywheel and spec 3+ installed. when I say lay into, I'm speaking about the car being under load. Going up a hill or on a level surafce, the clutch does not slip at. The vibrations due however go away at high rpm. It seems as though it vibrates from about 2k to 5k and then it's smoothes out again. Between 2k and 5k, the shifter shakes violently and when I grab the shifter it feels like my arm is about to be shook loose. Also if I put the car in neutral while rolling or stopped and depress the clutch and rev it up, the shifter and car vibrates. I'm thinking I have a warped flywheel or clutch, but I'd like you alls opinions too.
SPEC sucks ***. I'd be real careful. Alot of people had chatter,..then total failure. Soo,..careful
Old 08-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

what do you mean by failure?
Old 08-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c5_ls1_6spd
Why does my shifter vibrate and the car shakes very bad when I rev it up in Neutral? Also whenever I somewhat lay into it, around 2.5k rpms, the shifter started shaking and vibrating violently. The only thing I can think of it being is a warped clutch. Any other opinions?

Also the car shifts normal, there are no weird noises coming from the shifter area when idling or driving, and there are no weird noises coming from the shifter area when the clutch pedal is pressed in or depressed.
The ls1 is externally balanced. Do you still have your old flywheel? If so look for lead plugs that may be installed on the outer edge of the old one. Maybe the current flywheel is out of balance.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain issue - HELP