my 1st drag race was horrible

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1st drag race was horrible

i have a '00 t/a ws-6 that is basically stock. i've put an mti high flow air box lid on it as well as removed the rear seats, spare tire and jack and the sound system w/ ecception of wires(pulling it out later). i have tsp true duals but i haven't put them on yet because i wanted to see what my car can do stock. the problem is that the car did what it was supposed to do but i couldn't get off the line for crap. it's a manual transmission and this is the first time i've raced my car at a track. i spun my tires to heat them up at first and i tried to get into first from a 2.5k rpm rev. the first run was the worst. i spun my tires too much off the line(using tcs), missed second, and went into 6th instead of fourth after third. the second and third weren't as bad, i think it's because my nerves were calmed down a little. all my shifts were good but both of these times i bogged my engine down because i screwed up getting into first again. does anyone have any techniques i could use to get off the line or is it just a "practice makes perfect" kind of thing? my 2nd and 3rd times were 14.7 sec and 14.4 sec. this is pretty much at sea level in the central valley of california so it's dry and pretty warm. thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:18 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, def work on your driving skills. that thing should go bottom 13s
Old 04-19-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

With the M6 you can NOT race it with the TCS on. If you give it a tad too much throttle and spin the tires youll get no throttle at all.

Turn off TCS. If you are on street tires youve just got to learn how to launch them. You have to slip out the clutch pretty fast but not to fast to blow off the tires.

If you have the stock shifter, its even more of a chore to drive it. A good shifter should be on your list next. Ive got a MGW and love it. Search for my review thread I started.

All in all, youve just got to practice.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

What tires do you have on it? Put a drag radial (nitto or BFG) on it and don't look back.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DO NOT dump the clutch or you are walking

It just takes practice
Old 04-19-2009, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

again it takes a lot of seat time period ! practice over and over and then some more lol.... and yes always turn off the tc !
Old 04-19-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

What was your MPH?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

i have a bone stock '00 WS6 i took to the track a few weeks ago. I just rev to 2500rpm let the clutch out until its just in the contact region. light turns green push the gas down like there is a egg under it and let the clutch out the same way (once the clutch is out roll into the gas quicker).

I didn't heat the tires, launched it very soft, and no power shifting, full weight and tire PSI, did 13.50 @ 106mph. keep trying and you'll get it.

If you just take off normal like on the street and lay into it once your moving your guaranteed to get 13.80s. thats what i did my first time down the track, but went into second a little too hard and started spinning the tires. i stayed in it hoping to grab but that didn't happen so i had to get off then back on. after that i shifted a lot slower. I'm sure they would be fine if i warmed the tires but i don't want to kill my new tires heating them up(or the rear).

Last edited by disc0monkey; 04-20-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: my 1st drag race was horrible