2005 PUMP Gas Drags

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 06:02 PM
I ruin the end of films...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 PUMP Gas Drags

That was the second coolest race I've ever been to in my life! Not sure if anything will beat the World Street Finals last year in Huntsville.

The two LS-powered cars had problems most of the weekend.

Doc Otis lost an alternator belt on the cruise and was DQ'd (you can't pull over, stop, get out, or turn the car off during the cruise). He went 9.7s Thursday on shithole prep.

Hinson's TT LSx RX7 made the cruise, but never ran. I know he had some serious cooling problems Friday @ tech, so not sure if it was related. On Thursday, he went 9.44 on his last pass of the night. He did made a pass after the event was over and went 9.5, but lost it on the big end and went into the wall (both actually). He's OK, but I'm sure the car's not in good shape.

A buddy of mine brought his '95 TA to run. It's a Dart motor/88mm combo (not Brady). He went 9.1x the weekend before @ Memphis, but had some internal problems Thursday night, then broke a $2 fitting off his transmission which got him DQ'd at the line.

Now, some of the highlights. The winner was a '34 Coupe w/ an aluminum Donovan and no side windows that had an average in the 8.8s. A couple people bitched about the car, but in all honesty, you could've built two of those for the price of the Viper (more on that later). Besides, it made the 30-mile cruise from Comp to the track, so technically, it was legal to run. There was a protest after the race results were tallied b/c on his last run, the coupe did his burnout, died, then coasted through the beams. Everyone thought that should've been a DQ (he restarted soon after w/o popping the hood and made his run). Second place went to a guy from AZ (something Romero I think). It was a '71 TA w/ a true Poncho motor under the hood. The car ran it's *** off, but was definitely a twenty footer. The owners were really cool and he said that it was on a small shot this weekend because they only had it together for 2 weeks. He said it went high 9s on motor alone.

The single coolest car there was an old black 4-door Rambler..powered by a single turbo SBC. In T/T Thursday it went 8.9x, one of only 2 PGD cars to do so that night. He backed it up by going 8.75 and 8.8x (or maybe 8.9x) and had it all but won. On the last pass, HE RAN OUT OF GAS at the 1/8 and coasted to a 10.26 or so and finished in 7th.

One of the other badass cars was an early 80's Caprice Classic. Yes, the big *** hooptie car. This 4400# yacht had a 572ci BBC w/ an F2 or F3R blower on it. Still had the bench seat in the front, full interior and a working stereo. I almost fell off the tower when it went 9.26 Thursday night.

Then there was the Viper. The car wasn't there Thursday night, so everyone was kinda wondering what happened. Friday morning though, there he was @ Comp. There were some rumors that the car had been going 8.4s earlier in the week on pump gas. His times for the event, 9.0x, 9.24 & 8.62. The guy driving it SUCKS! First run, he forgot to turn the boost controller on and the second pass he took off in 2nd. :applause: He won 4 jackets (fastest pass, most legit 8-second street car, 3rd place finisher and something else), so I figure each jacket's worth about $80K apiece.

Now, some of the drama. Tech-in Friday morning was entertaining. First, there was a roots-blown VW Bug that left his nitrous bottle sitting in the back windshield. Needless to say, 90+ temps and no shade = the blow-off popping off and scaring the **** out of everyone. But there was even more drama w/ the bug. Supposedly, a Hot Rod staffer went over to shut the fuel supply off the car later on and saw another switch under the car. When he asked the owner, he said "ehh, that's nothing" After turning the switch and powering the fuel pump, 10-12 gallons of fuel came out of the hidden valve. Oops. Also, Brian Hinson had his '95 LSx powered RX7 there. I never got a good look at it, but it looked like he had Matt Harlan's old twin turbo setup on it that went 8.27 in a 3400# Firehawk. I say had because on the only pass he made, he went 9.5x @ 130 or so and proceeded to smack both walls after the beam. They drug the car to the trailer, loaded up and were gone before the race was over.

I've got a shitload of pictures that I'll try to put up tonight or tomorrow. Congrats to everyone that made it and especially to the Top 10. I think the bump was a high 9.3 this year. I can't wait for next year's event!
Old 05-14-2005, 06:30 PM
8 Second Club

Sounds like ya had a good time

How did Brady do?
Old 05-14-2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by FastBlackTA
Sounds like ya had a good time

How did Brady do?
He didn't run. He thought he had the car sold to some guy from Sweden, but the guy was dicking him around so he didn't sell it. Of course, this was AFTER he withdrew from the event.

Would've been interesting if he could've made it. I think if he made the cruise, he could've had a shot at winning it as long as he didn't do like the Rambler and the one turbo Mustang and run out of gas on the last pass.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:06 PM
9 Second Club

Yep, suck for us. But it was still a good time
Old 05-14-2005, 09:51 PM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=mongse]Not sure if anything will beat the World Street Finals last year in Huntsville. QUOTE]

Come to the World Street Nationals in Orlando . Was that the Heffners Performance Viper?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

That would have been a great event to watch. Hurry up with the photos!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:20 AM

[QUOTE=NumberOneSled]
Originally Posted by mongse
Not sure if anything will beat the World Street Finals last year in Huntsville. QUOTE]

Come to the World Street Nationals in Orlando . Was that the Heffners Performance Viper?
I'd like to someday. The Huntsville race last November was unbelievable. I skipped Thunder to go to it and loved it.

Yeah, that's Heffner's Viper. They talked up a good game, but you can't run 8.4s when you launch in 2nd and don't turn the boost controller on. Oh well...cool looking car.

****, pictures....
http://www.quarter-mile.net/images/2005PGD/

That's a temp folder until I can get everything sorted Monday morning.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Do you know you put the wrong link up for your own pictures ?

http://www.quarter-mile.net/images/PGD2005/
Old 05-15-2005, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by redaddiction
Do you know you put the wrong link up for your own pictures ?

http://www.quarter-mile.net/images/PGD2005/
Yeah, oops. At 1:20am, nothing comes out right.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pics are awesome. sounds like a great event. hope to go some time.

just incredible the amount of power these guys can make on 92 octane when a 427" sprayed ls1 is grossly underpowered.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing the pictures with the rest of us, looked like a helluva good time. Maybe they'll bring an event like this to FL one day.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice pics!!

What motor is in this thing??

Old 05-15-2005, 06:53 PM

i think its a supra motor
Old 05-15-2005, 08:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

nah, that's an inline six out of a new trailblazer or something.. It's GM for sure. Cool car, cool motor. lots of cheerleaders said it was a given to run mid 8's and win PGD's, but performance was so-so IMHO.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:13 PM
7 Second Club

The 34 coupe was the #2 finisher last year and could have won it if not for a huge wheelstand on a pass that dropped him to a 9.8X after 9.20 runs. Looks like there was a wide variety of cars picked, but some looks like they'd never see much REAL street action, but then again, who am I to judge??

Derek
Old 05-15-2005, 11:18 PM
11 Second Club

what did the guy who won last year run?

i saw him go 8.98 @ 156 at cecil a few fridays back...bad *** car
Old 05-16-2005, 12:34 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
pics are awesome. sounds like a great event. hope to go some time.

just incredible the amount of power these guys can make on 92 octane when a 427" sprayed ls1 is grossly underpowered.

Well it's understandable when you look at some of these guys setups, 101mm turbo's, 500-600 ci Donovan blocks, and more importantly just endless bankrolls. Don't get me wrong ther were a handful of small block n2o cars than ran extremely well that probally weren't to crazy to build, but the other handful of cars I looked at made me feel like I had a 346 in my car still

Next year might be a little different story though. Some of these guys might be wondering why I'm still at their door
Old 05-16-2005, 05:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOTFAST
what did the guy who won last year run?

i saw him go 8.98 @ 156 at cecil a few fridays back...bad *** car
Schmidt's white 67 Chevelle ran an 8.98, 8.99, and a mid nine second pass-blew the tires off. Pretty impressive considering it was spinning pretty hard on every pass. That car is beautiful; full factory interior/guages-the long shifter for the g-force trans looks as if it came factory (still has the factory center console).
Old 05-16-2005, 09:39 AM
SSU Moderator

Brady's right, its Cunningham's straight 6 with a big ol turbo. NA it made 500+ hp I think.

I just love that C3 Vette.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,102 Likes on 723 Posts

So John Cunningham had two cars entered? He has the nice 70 Nova with white vinyl top.