Went to the track.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow Went to the track.

Nothing Earth Shattering to say the least but this is my 1st time back in nearly a year from Cancer surgury and I have spent alot of time trying to re learn this new set up.

Going from a M/T ET Street radial, back to a Nitto wasn't what I had liked to do but thats life, and after today I maybe going to a Bias-ply.

The car makes about 380-390 and I will be redynoing soon and having the tune checked.

List of mods in the sig....

Best run was a 13.1 @ 108.8 w/ a 2.089 60' (mind you the car w/ LESS mods did a HIGH 12's)

Cool weather, I venture to say in the high 70's so air wasnt a issue like it normally is, and I drove fine, no misses.

The car pops HARD at the line, then drops and bogs bad.

I was doing 4.5k launch, it popped up a tire a lil bit but soon as the clutch was out, it drop, then cut a 2.XXX 60' and drive fine the rest of the way.

Also weighed the car, with me its 3,950 lbs. I am a big dude, but compared to a 02 z28 thats modded almost exactly the same, car for car, im about 120 lbs more car for car. I also have no extra stereo equipment.

At least I learned that this car needs a GTO trans, my ws.9 hood, and actually a set of welds w/ skinnes up front and 26" bias ply slick on the back. coupled with a set of adjustible shocks, maybe R series QA1 in the front and single adj, in the back I should be able to knock 1.6X with ease.

I do have a video and I didnt see it until later, my send run, where it popped me hard but then bogged. On the vid, It seems like the tire lifted ever so slightly, prob not enough to clear 3 Air Head candy bars stacked on top of each other but enough to see the shadow bounce as the front end came down.

So at least w/ a Nitto cutting a 2.268 60' I managed to ever so slightly lift a tire.

Oh and I did attempt 1- 5,500 rpm dump and the tires just blew off. So at least I know I have some practicing to do. I certainly got spoiled with my stalled 4L60e in my old LT1.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats a very heavy car. Nittos should be able to hook 400rwhp fairly easily, MT DRs should be the most tire that you need. I think practice will help the most though. What suspension stuff do you have?

Where are you located? DA?

Jon
Old 08-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Thats a very heavy car. Nittos should be able to hook 400rwhp fairly easily, MT DRs should be the most tire that you need. I think practice will help the most though. What suspension stuff do you have?

Where are you located? DA?

Jon
The nittos hooked @ 4,500 rpm Luanch, the issue was the car bogged after the inital hit. I let the clutch out too fast, my 5th was going to be a good slip but they had a bad break down and I couldnt go back.

I did a higher rpm launch and Nittos like most Radial tires have NO side wall flex/forgiveness, and it was a little too much power and it broke the tires loose for the 1st 60 and it recovered enough to finish the run. The spinning of the tires yeilded a similar 60 foot as the bog did.

Before I finished last year, I had a set that was pretty burned up but with making 326 rwhp and a off the limiter hit, it pulled solid, around 1.8 60 but now with a cam, its a whole different beast. Given the frequency of going to the track is now less, due to alot of factors. I love my 98-01 WS.6 rims and the nittos are certainly a street tire and works fine for that purpous. I am going to get a track only rim I am thinking Weld Skinny either with a Moroso DS2 or a DOT tire if I drive it up and a bias ply in the back. It will allow me to take a hit like a 5.5k clutch dump and do what its supposed to do, launch good. We have a car that is running a 26" sick cutting in the 1.6's with the same work I have done.

As for suspension mods....

BMR adjustible TQ arm, set @ -2 deg
BMR LCA's w/ Lower control arm Bracket on the rear, set to the lowest hole
BMR adj Pan Hard rod (not that it matters here lol)

Everything is still stock up front, and stock shocks/springs

As for Track....

Lebenon Valley Dragway

http://www.dragway.com

A rather crappy track considering you have ATCO, E-town, and Epping with in the same range, a little farther and alot more traffic, always a head wind, and general VERY hot, weather was fine yesterday, I am not sure of the DA but it was prob 1100, on a bad day its around 3000-4000.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you don't want to go to a ds2, the car's way too heavy for them. The issue is, that with a heavy car if you had to make an evasive maneuver on the track, the tire can roll over, and that's when the troble will really start.

If you get a set of weld's for the car I have a set of et streets and a set of sportsman fronts that you can have, just come pick them up.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
you don't want to go to a ds2, the car's way too heavy for them. The issue is, that with a heavy car if you had to make an evasive maneuver on the track, the tire can roll over, and that's when the troble will really start.

If you get a set of weld's for the car I have a set of et streets and a set of sportsman fronts that you can have, just come pick them up.

Def, Id take them. I'll be pricing rims soon. Not sure what size though.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Race your car!

If you go with convo's like chef has, 15x3.4 1.75 backspacing. Rears 15x8 fit no grinding, 15x10 will work better (wider footprint on the tire) but I don't know if they will fit.

You can run a 26x9 or a 28x9 and have zero clearnace issues and that will be plenty of tire for what you're doing.

Personally, I say a set of the 28x9 et drags and a set of 4.56 gears, and watch a solid second come off the timeslip
Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Personally, I say a set of the 28x9 et drags and a set of 4.56 gears, and watch a solid second come off the timeslip
Well these are a track only set up, but as you know its primairly a street car, I do not want the rear ratio, more then 4.10's, when I do get a GTO trans, Six Speeds Inc. already confirmed I can keep the same 5th adn 6th gear ratio. 1st thru 4th will be upgraded (really only 1-3 are a changed ratio), I think the 1st gear should be a 4.30 or so overall ratio. So A 26 or even 27 should be more than enough and a 28 may knock down the ratio too much. Also taken into consideration tire growth.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Race your car!

26 for you then. My thoughts are the thinking of more gear+more tire=lower ET.

A 26 I'm 99% sure will be enough without shocks on the car, a 28x9 (which is really 27 inches tall and still a full slick, and clears with no issues) will 100% work.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Well these are a track only set up, but as you know its primairly a street car, I do not want the rear ratio, more then 4.10's, when I do get a GTO trans, Six Speeds Inc. already confirmed I can keep the same 5th adn 6th gear ratio. 1st thru 4th will be upgraded (really only 1-3 are a changed ratio), I think the 1st gear should be a 4.30 or so overall ratio. So A 26 or even 27 should be more than enough and a 28 may knock down the ratio too much. Also taken into consideration tire growth.
When I was running 4.10's with 26" MT ET streets I had stock front and rear shocks and the same BMR stuff that you have. With the 4.10 and 26" inch slicks I would launch around 6500 rpm . The nitto's are ok for the street or a car that is automatic but for a stick car you need a tire that is going to hook. I was cutting 1.5 60ft's You need to launch way higher to avoid the bog. You didn't mention if your front sway bar is stil on . You will notice a huge gain once you take that off. I know every car is different, I figure I would share my set up from back then. With just bolt on's, and gears with the stock tune the car went 12.2 @ island dragway . If everything was the same and the track was atco that would have been a 12.0 , add a tune and your in the 11's. I have had good luck with this car from the start. You can make what you have work for you by changing your tires and your launch rpm rather than change your tranny. The GTO tranny is better no dought. But you can better your times just changing some things up a bit. I will be running at LVD in a couple of weeks. I still have my 26" ET drags and ET street. I wouldn't mind letting you bolt them up and giveing some tips.