Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Made first passes at a track last night

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made first passes at a track last night

So I picked up my Z a few weeks ago and have been wanting to go to the track ever since. Well my local track (GLD) has half price Wednesdays so I decided to head out last night. I ran a bunch of times trying all sorts of different things while trying not to destroy my nice tread street tires completely.

I ran from 7pm-9pm, the temperature was around 90 then dropped to maybe 85 by the time we left. It was very humid and the air was thick. I know that this is terrible conditions for a cars performance, but it was half price and dry out and I really wanted to run so I said why not.

So out of 10 runs total trying all different techniques, stalling, not stalling, burn-out, no burn-out, pedal to the metal on green, slowly let into it..

My best time was a 13.655 @ 104.10 with a 2.137 60'. For that run I did a good burn out in the water box, then stalled it to about 1100 and went about half throttle out of the hole then WOT soon after.

Now the track doesn't have the best reputation for track prep and the weather wasn't near cool enough for maximum performance.

I was on street tires and did spin a decent amount but then when I caught traction and went WOT I got going.

I don't know exactly what it is, but cars with similar mods are running high 12's (LT's, exhaust, LS6 IM, P&P TB, Lid and FRA, free mods). Hell, stock f-bodys apparently can run 13.6's.. So, is the weather maybe just that much of a deterrent? I did do some searching last night and read some guys do lose .5 and 2-3mph on hot days like this as opposed to much cooler nights.. I hope my times were due to the weather.

I mean, a procharged C5 Z06 best run was 12.8... they run that stock. Procharged I would imagine it to be a high 11 second car, no? It seemed like everyone was running slower than what they should be.. autos and manuals.

Now I do have true-duals without a crossover pipe (custom set-up, when I get more $$$ going to have a crossover pipe installed to be a H pipe). I have heard this robs about 10-15 hp..

Anyways, it was fun and I can't wait to go back. I do feel bad for my tires though, but I guess eventually that sorrow will turn to my wallet. I'm too scared to get DR's because of the stock 10-bolt however. Maybe look into some cheap street tires that I can burn up at the track.. We'll see. On second thought, I read that a "smaller" DR is not too risky with an auto, so I'll keep my eye out for a set of DRs.

Any ideas on my times? Besides my best I was 13.7-13.8 all night with 2.2 60's. I am really hoping it was the weather. Because of this, the next time I go out I will wait for a cooler day and wait to go until about 8pm and stay until 10 when they close so it is as cool as it can be.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Not to bad. Corrected for good weather you ran 13.0@107 car would go faster with a -DA
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...ect+ET+and+MPH
Old 06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang, I thought that was about right until I saw you entered 13.455... I ran a 13.655.

So corrected it would be 13.263 @ 107.246 MPH

Which is still a slower time than I should be running. The previous owner had a mail order tune done after the mods. Maybe the tune is off and I should take it to a shop? I will still wait to run a cooler night before I go looking for a dyno tune, but if anyone else has any input I would be interested in hearing it.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Opps sorry!
Still lots of LS1s are in that range. Just sit at the track and watch all of them go. Yes there are fast ones but also alot of cars running mid 13s with similar mods to yours.. Some DRs will help a ton and you should be fine with the 10bolt with a a4
Old 06-25-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea that's true. I guess I was just hoping mine was one of the "faster" ones lol. I am keeping an eye out for some DR's. Probably ET streets that I'll just use to drive to and from the track on then put my street wheels back on when I get home.

If I can lower that 60' in some cooler weather, I'll try my best to pull a low 13/high 12.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Every .10 in the 60ft is .20 on the big end. Maybe just throw on some Nitto DRs they will hook at your power level especially with no stall and an A4 and they are great on the street even in the rain.
My old 00 Formula was one of the fast ones same mods as you but I had stock manifolds and cats, on Nittos went 12.7 @ 108 on a high 1.9 60ft. !!
My 96 Formula in my sig (LT1) with Nittos and a B&B cat back went 13.32@103+ when the motor was bone stock !!
Old 06-25-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice times! Do you know of a good place to purchase the Nittos? And would you recommend a 16" or 17" drag tire?

I know my 60' is hurting me a lot, but I was a little scared to go to a DR until I did some searching and found the a4 and stock stall to be rather "easy" on the rear. Now I'm waiting to find a good deal on some DR's and hit up the track again!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:41 PM
7 Second Club

Sticky tires and a good custom tune would be the first areas to attack IMHO. You should be faster, but with seat time and traction the times should drop.

BTW, the lack of an x-pipe or h-pipe doesn't rob 10-15 hp. More like 5 hp/5 tq depending on the engine's power production.

Derek
Old 06-25-2009, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I wouldnt say it robs power rather its not gained HP.
Speedinc has 17" Nittos or MT ET Street raidials in stock, I was there yesterday and saw them. They price match also.
Contact Larry.
Smaller rim with bigger Tire/ sidewall is the way I would go.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,228 Likes on 783 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Last time I was at GLD I ran my TBSS and could not 60 better than 2.15 on street tires (13.7@101 CAI and tune), their weeknight, track would have hooked better if there had been more slicked up cars running down the track.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea there are a lot of people running street tires there. I can't complain since I do too, though. Some DR's will help me a lot.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
So I picked up my Z a few weeks ago and have been wanting to go to the track ever since. Well my local track (GLD) has half price Wednesdays so I decided to head out last night. I ran a bunch of times trying all sorts of different things while trying not to destroy my nice tread street tires completely.

I ran from 7pm-9pm, the temperature was around 90 then dropped to maybe 85 by the time we left. It was very humid and the air was thick. I know that this is terrible conditions for a cars performance, but it was half price and dry out and I really wanted to run so I said why not.

So out of 10 runs total trying all different techniques, stalling, not stalling, burn-out, no burn-out, pedal to the metal on green, slowly let into it..

My best time was a 13.655 @ 104.10 with a 2.137 60'. For that run I did a good burn out in the water box, then stalled it to about 1100 and went about half throttle out of the hole then WOT soon after.

Now the track doesn't have the best reputation for track prep and the weather wasn't near cool enough for maximum performance.

I was on street tires and did spin a decent amount but then when I caught traction and went WOT I got going.

I don't know exactly what it is, but cars with similar mods are running high 12's (LT's, exhaust, LS6 IM, P&P TB, Lid and FRA, free mods). Hell, stock f-bodys apparently can run 13.6's.. So, is the weather maybe just that much of a deterrent? I did do some searching last night and read some guys do lose .5 and 2-3mph on hot days like this as opposed to much cooler nights.. I hope my times were due to the weather.

I mean, a procharged C5 Z06 best run was 12.8... they run that stock. Procharged I would imagine it to be a high 11 second car, no? It seemed like everyone was running slower than what they should be.. autos and manuals.

Now I do have true-duals without a crossover pipe (custom set-up, when I get more $$$ going to have a crossover pipe installed to be a H pipe). I have heard this robs about 10-15 hp..

Anyways, it was fun and I can't wait to go back. I do feel bad for my tires though, but I guess eventually that sorrow will turn to my wallet. I'm too scared to get DR's because of the stock 10-bolt however. Maybe look into some cheap street tires that I can burn up at the track.. We'll see. On second thought, I read that a "smaller" DR is not too risky with an auto, so I'll keep my eye out for a set of DRs.

Any ideas on my times? Besides my best I was 13.7-13.8 all night with 2.2 60's. I am really hoping it was the weather. Because of this, the next time I go out I will wait for a cooler day and wait to go until about 8pm and stay until 10 when they close so it is as cool as it can be.
Too bad man, I woulda sold you those mickey's I had. I ended up selling them to a guy for $300 mounted on the rims. That car wasn't going hard out of the hole with them on tho. It was in desperate need of a stall (however u will need the trans rebuilt if and when u get one, cause a stall on that old 4l60e will blast the clutches within a couple launches). Oh btw, was the trans slipping in the top end on any of your runs?
Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrnorm_hemicide
Too bad man, I woulda sold you those mickey's I had. I ended up selling them to a guy for $300 mounted on the rims. That car wasn't going hard out of the hole with them on tho. It was in desperate need of a stall (however u will need the trans rebuilt if and when u get one, cause a stall on that old 4l60e will blast the clutches within a couple launches). Oh btw, was the trans slipping in the top end on any of your runs?
Yea they woulda been nice but I still don't have cash for DR's. Gonna have to wait until next summer.

But I didn't have any slippage on any of my runs. I forget which shift, either 1-2 or 2-3 it just wasn't as "firm" or "crisp" as the other shifts.. it wasn't slipping, just shifted softer than the other shifts.

I will be looking into a built trans for the next performance mod.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
Yea they woulda been nice but I still don't have cash for DR's. Gonna have to wait until next summer.

But I didn't have any slippage on any of my runs. I forget which shift, either 1-2 or 2-3 it just wasn't as "firm" or "crisp" as the other shifts.. it wasn't slipping, just shifted softer than the other shifts.

I will be looking into a built trans for the next performance mod.
Yeah I would definetly build that trans when you throw a stall in it. Your 60-ft times will be slightly better with the street tires, but it will pale in comparison to what you'll see with a stall and dr's or dot tires.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so I made it out again and pulled a 2.076 60' for a 13.552 @ 104.82

On that run I went up against a TA with damn near similar mods and he went as follows:

2.280 60' for a 13.613 @ 107.00

He's M6, I'm obviously A4.. I don't get it. However I think it must be the transmission. It isn't slipping, but when it shifts into 3rd gear, it shifts very softly, and doesn't really push the car faster, but almost feels like the car slows down right at the point it shifts...

I do need drag radials bad to lower my 60', but after comparing that run to the TA... There's something more to the lower trap speed and lower ETs than a car with these mods should be running.

The weather was still not the best, but about 70-75* or so.

I might be done until next summer, definitely going to keep my eye out for a set of DR's. It will be awhile before I can afford a built transmission.