Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mounting battery box by the books.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default mounting battery box by the books.....

To my understanding, the box has to be mounted to the frame rail, correct?

Is there any way to mount it to the rear floor/ttop well and pass tech? I thought I remember reading that you can run a plate under the box that attaches to the frame. Anyone know the specifics on that?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is in the T-Top well- no issues with tech anywhere I've been as far as mounting & I agonized over this issue before installation after reading the rule book. It's bolted down with big fender washers. I have a Taylor vented box, got a comment from the tech guy at Capitol in Bowie, MD that it needed to have a "firewall" blocking it from the rest of the car but he let me run. Unless the rules have changed in 2009 I'm pretty sure he was wrong.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:48 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless your battery has a vent tube (some race batteries do) that go outside the passenger compartment, he is correct. My batteries are mounted in the T-top well also, using large washers. No box, but a "firewall" that is a sheet of aluminium that covers the well. A winged Dzus fastener on each end. Has passed NHRA & IHRA Super Stock tech at divisional and national events all over the southwest. I have also seen firewalls like Wolf Race Craft sells passing tech also.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok so the well should be alright. thanks!

I have the moroso blue box so it has a vent tube that you pass through the box and through the floor, think that will be ok?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Vent the box,and you don't need a firewall.

I have a moroso box, that is mounted on 2 pieces of round bar that was welded to the front of the t top well, and the back of the trunk, probably 6 to 8 inches off the bottom of the t-top well, ran the vent tube right out the side of the box thru the bottom of the t top well, easily visable to a tech guy. They have looked it over at several tracks and noone has ever had anything bad to say about it.

No "firewall" or any of that, and it's fine.

Now if I put a fuel cell next to it, absolutely it will need a firewall/bulkhead. But... that's why the fuel cell goes in the engine bay No need for the bulkhead
Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fdfdfd

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Vent the box,and you don't need a firewall.

I have a moroso box, that is mounted on 2 pieces of round bar that was welded to the front of the t top well, and the back of the trunk, probably 6 to 8 inches off the bottom of the t-top well, ran the vent tube right out the side of the box thru the bottom of the t top well, easily visable to a tech guy. They have looked it over at several tracks and noone has ever had anything bad to say about it.

No "firewall" or any of that, and it's fine.

Now if I put a fuel cell next to it, absolutely it will need a firewall/bulkhead. But... that's why the fuel cell goes in the engine bay No need for the bulkhead

run a diesel. you'll be ok mixing the vapor w/ spark.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Race your car!

Well that's not a concern, but thanks for the input
Old 12-03-2009, 03:35 PM
9-Second Club

My fuel cell in in there too. 3 gallon aluminium custom made piece. That and two batteries, my well is full.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Race your car!

I take you don't run an ALT in your car Ed.

I've considered that... but I dunno, it's enough work changing every plug, flowing fuel systems, tires, fueling, etc between rounds.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I take you don't run an ALT in your car Ed.

I've considered that... but I dunno, it's enough work changing every plug, flowing fuel systems, tires, fueling, etc between rounds.
I do, it runs about 1/2 MPH faster with it working. I need the two to make weight. I'm only allowed 100 lbs for the ballast box and it's contents. I have to weigh 3235, usually run it about 3240 to 3245.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Race your car!

Aah. At least it's useful weight then.

Surprised it runs faster with the ALT hooked up then with 2 batt's.

Are you running 12 or 16 volt? If they're 12 volt I can understand, if they're 16 I'm a little surprised to hear that. Unless there's a rule stating that you can only run 12 volt, not sure what the rules you have to abide by are, I know there's alot of small things like that, all of which make it a good bit harder to go fast when they're all put together.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 PM
9-Second Club

It runs no faster with 16 volts. With 16 volt batterys and no alternator my data loggers shows the same voltage going down the track, but in later rounds we don't always have time to recharge the batteries. Guys have had problems with water pumps, cooling fans, fuel pumps, etc, running 16 volts with a 16 volt alternator, and I have not had one any long between charges than 12 volts. Fewer problems long term with 12 volts and an alternator. All it does faster with 16 volt batteries is run the power windows up and down and spin the starter faster.

Quick Reply: mounting battery box by the books.....