Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet install help with 8 point.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carpet install help with 8 point.

Plan on getting this 8 point weld in bar installed this weekend. I am going to use the stock carpet as of right now. It looks like the easiest method for putting the carpet back in is going to be cutting it into 3 sections rather than leave it as 1 piece from the firewall to the rear. Any suggestions on the best way of doing this so that it looks as clean as possible?

I am thinking of cutting the first section right under the front seats and then the second section maybe behind the rear seats. There is no way this thing is going back in as 1 piece with 8 bars welded to the floor LOL. Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Plan on getting this 8 point weld in bar installed this weekend. I am going to use the stock carpet as of right now. It looks like the easiest method for putting the carpet back in is going to be cutting it into 3 sections rather than leave it as 1 piece from the firewall to the rear. Any suggestions on the best way of doing this so that it looks as clean as possible?

I am thinking of cutting the first section right under the front seats and then the second section maybe behind the rear seats. There is no way this thing is going back in as 1 piece with 8 bars welded to the floor LOL. Thanks
I think you could get away with doing one piece. But, if you're looking for a quick and dirty way, just cut it between the main hoop and angled bars so there is a front/rear section of the carpet. For the rear bars you'll nee to cut slits from the bar to the wheel wells. For the front bars, just trim around the bars.

Mike
Old 03-18-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

you could do 1 piece..where each bar is you must cut a x in that exact spot..dont make it to big at first,seeing you could always trim alittle more to get it to sit flush...then the shortest distance to the edge of the carpet make a straight line...so it would look like this ( ----X ) then once the bar is in the x and sitting flush just run a piece of tape along the line part and stick the carpet back together right there..now on the bar you will have 4 triangles of carpet sticking up..cut the bottoms of them of so its flush and bam your done...
Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Leave it 1 piece, just pull the interior (that takes about an hour) and whamo the carpet comes right out.

less then 100 bucks you can get the ozite and put that in too..I'd do that while it's out. easy way to remove 1/2 the weight of the bars you're adding
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Complete interior is out and I would really like to get it put back in as one piece. Thougth about the lightweight stuff. Just rather not right now. Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was it just me or did everyone have a problem with the rear seat area... what a pain!!! everything else came out fine.. i used to peices one in front and one behind the main hoop of the cage..
Old 03-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If ya put the stock carpet back in, just rip the insulation stuff off the back. That will save a few lbs anyway.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. May even get the wife to help out as I am sure patience will run out on this project.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put mine in the car in one piece but its not the factory carpet plus i rolled a little bit of around the bottom to clean it up a bit. had to run a small piece in the very back but i have the t-top holder so it might be different
hope this helps a bit
Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Well we got it installed and carpet back in one piece. Let me tell you this has to be one of the hardest things I have ever done to the car, not physically but mentally. Harder than I thought to cut and grind and weld on my car like that and install a permanent fixture. It is starting to grow on me and yes it looks good but still it was pretty hard to do. I will try to get some pics up. Thanks for the help guys.