Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you guys running your positive cables from the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default How are you guys running your positive cables from the rear?

Are you running the cables under the car, or through the inside? im looking for a clean way to do it.

Thanks,
Austin
Old 02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever you do, don't run them where a jack or lift can pinch them. Or where they can be crushed by a speed bump or curb. Be sure to read up on the problems others are experiencing before you decide to move the battery.

Al 95 Z28
Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Big Al
What ever you do, don't run them where a jack or lift can pinch them. Or where they can be crushed by a speed bump or curb. Be sure to read up on the problems others are experiencing before you decide to move the battery.

Al 95 Z28
This is why I ran them in the car the whole way up my Nova, and through the Firewall.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definatly keep them inside!!!!! Anyone who runs them outside is just foolish in my opinion. Event on a track only car I would not run them outside. If you have interior that would be nice and easy, if you are gutted then you need to just keep it tight and tidy.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Al 95 Z28
Funny you should say that.. I originally had them under the car..it fell off the jack stand and the stand tore the coating and flattened the wire. Luckily it didnt break them and I covered it with heat shrink.

Ill run it inside the car, its just with all the bundle of nitrous line, bottle opener/heater wiring there's a bunch of crap running along the passenger side now lol ill make it work!

Thanks for the input guys
Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 129 Likes on 116 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I ran mine up the side of the sub-frame connectors with metal clamps that are rubber coated. I also used a Ford solenoid so the line is only hot when starting.

How are you guys running your positive cables from the rear?-everything-049.jpg

How are you guys running your positive cables from the rear?-wirediaghram.jpg

Old 02-14-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

i run mine up the pass side and i zip tid it to the rest of my wires. and then goes threw the firewall it looks really clean
Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, def run em inside the car, Mine goes from a dist power block on my passenger side front rail, There the wire goes between the engine an rail over to under my ecm, through a hole under the carpet about 8 inches away from side trim to the back passenger side of the hatch spare tire where my battery is. Make sure your seat brackets dont pinch or crush it either
Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

^this.

I ran mine inside and it was nice to do without the carpet and seats in
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 AM
TECH Addict

Is it better/easier to run the cables following the trans tunnel? I know I already have a few cables going down each rocker panel under the carpet/plastic trim and things are tight already.

Anyone have any pics of routes they chose?
Old 02-15-2012, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

Not to Hijack but what size wire is everyone using? I have seen the diagrams on how to split the line off, are you using the same size line there or is it different?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

0 guage to the starter, 2 or 4 from the starter to the distribution box. 2 guage from the alternator to the battery.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 355z28
0 guage to the starter, 2 or 4 from the starter to the distribution box. 2 guage from the alternator to the battery.
Just like this^^^
Old 02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Doug G
I ran mine up the side of the sub-frame connectors with metal clamps that are rubber coated. I also used a Ford solenoid so the line is only hot when starting.

Attachment 340212

Attachment 340213

God help me! Not trying to be an *******, but: The Ford solenoid does not help anything in this case. It's a waste of time and money. Your wiring diagram is not legal in NHRA drag racing. Read the rule book.

If you want to discuss this civilly, start a new thread as this one is to help him, not to confuse the issue of how to run wires. And it's going to take some discussing to help.

Al 95 Z28
Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 AM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

God help me! Not trying to be an *******, but: The Ford solenoid does not help anything in this case. It's a waste of time and money. Your wiring diagram is not legal in NHRA drag racing. Read the rule book.

If you want to discuss this civilly, start a new thread as this one is to help him, not to confuse the issue of how to run wires. And it's going to take some discussing to help.

Al 95 Z28
Yes, the 1st diagram would not pass NHRA Tech but works.

The 2nd diagram does and will pass NHRA Tech...and the Ford 'noid makes it so the battery cable to the front of the car is dead except during cranking/starting. I like the fact that I have only 1 (fused) line,hot all the time) while the car sits in garage.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, the 1st diagram would not pass NHRA Tech but works.

The 2nd diagram does and will pass NHRA Tech...and the Ford 'noid makes it so the battery cable to the front of the car is dead except during cranking/starting. I like the fact that I have only 1 (fused) line,hot all the time) while the car sits in garage.
Section 8.4 in the general regulations says no.

Al 95 Z28
Old 02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

This does work, and kills power to the entire car...I can promise you this.
It's the diagram I followed to a tee. The only hot line is the one from the alternator to the battery (fused) and the 12"-14" from the battery to the disconnect.
How are you guys running your positive cables from the rear?-wirediaghram.jpg

8.4 MASTER CUTOFF

Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The external control switch for this cutoff switch will be clearly indicated by a red flash inside a white-edged blue triangle with a base of at least 12 cm (see drawing 25). The positions must be clearly indicated with the word "OFF". If switch is "push/pull" type, push must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, pull to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear engine dragsters
Old 02-16-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by White.Lightning
Is it better/easier to run the cables following the trans tunnel? I know I already have a few cables going down each rocker panel under the carpet/plastic trim and things are tight already.

Anyone have any pics of routes they chose?
I don't have any pics but I ran mine down the trans tunnel when the trans was out...worked well for me and it's out the way.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

This does work, and kills power to the entire car...I can promise you this.
It's the diagram I followed to a tee. The only hot line is the one from the alternator to the battery (fused) and the 12"-14" from the battery to the disconnect.
Attachment 340511
Was hoping someone else would chime in about this. As far as I know, and that's all I'm going by, the kill switch has to kill everything. If it was OK to have a hot wire to the alternator, why not to the starter? Or the whole car except for the PCM? If you killed the PCM the engine would have no spark or injector power. That would certainly kill the engine. But I don't think that's what they want.

Maybe someone will add something here.

Think I replied to the wrong thread.. You guys will figure it out

Al 95 Z28 with the battery under the hood. All my other race cars have them relocated. The bulkhead requirement stopped me from moving it.

Quick Reply: How are you guys running your positive cables from the rear?