Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input for summer plans...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Input for summer plans...

Hey guys, looking for a little info regarding my plans for the car in the summer. Right now my 98 t/a has the following in terms of go-fast mods:

Lid
Cutout
Nittos (16")
Subframes
4.10s (m6 car)
Ripper shifter
Home ported throttle body
Free Ram Air
Spec stage III x-pad clutch
Updated hydraulics

!spare/jack is the only weight reduction currently. I'm assuming I run somewhere roughly in the mid to upper 12's range right now, but I have no idea since I haven't been able to get the car to the track. This sound correct to everyone? Launch around 2500-3000 to help preserve the 10-bolt as long as possible on this gear/tire/clutch combo.

I'm thinking of doing a set of pacesetters (race version probably since illinois only tests for codes) with ORY, removing air/egr, a fiberglass hood (possibly pin-on for weight savings and because I like the look) from somewhere like vfn, lcas and possibly a tuning suite since I plan on a cam eventually. I'm also considering removing the rear seat, and making my own lightweight carpet as one of the members around here suggested (only weighs in around 5 or 6 pounds). Also, i'm a little over 57k miles so I think the stock decarbons have seen better days...i'll probably go with bilstein hd's and a set of dms springs while i'm doing the shocks to help the car corner a bit better providing I can scrape together the cash.

Assuming the car is a fully optioned t/a with leather, t-tops and monsoon plus 16" chrome 5 spokes, the car probably weighs around 3650 lbs or so minus spare/jack plus subframes...I could be wrong though, so input would be great. Driver is 160.

I'm thinking after everything the car would drop about 100 more pounds or so (hood ~20, carpet ~30, rear seat ~20, cats ~15, air/egr ~10) and pick up 25-35 horses depending on if I tune or not.

Anyway, the whole point of this post is i'm wondering what kind of times I could pull with these mods, and if my money is spent better elsewhere for now as far as bang for buck goes. Car is mostly for street with a little strip time now and then. Ideally i'm setting this thing up to just drive to the track and let 'er rip without changing anything from my normal 'street trim.' Eventual plans would be something like a tr224 114lsa and a dry 100-125 shot on top of the rest depending on how much more fuel my 98 can throw at it . Any input on what to change/tweak etc. would be appreciated and sorry for the long post!
Old 03-23-2004, 09:22 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get a 12 bolt rear end(very big cost) 1st. If you can't get one now I would get headers and a cam.

Coach
Old 03-23-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be getting a 12-bolt eventually i'm sure, but since the car has only seen the track once in the 2 years i've owned it and will probably only see minimal track time in the future, i'm trying to hang on to the 10-bolt as long as possible for now. Being on a college budget is a small influencing factor too .
Old 03-23-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I am hoping Z06 wheels and lowering springs.