Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of Battery Box, Kill Switch Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:53 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Couple of Battery Box, Kill Switch Q's...

Did a search but it didn't answer everything.

1--I have my optima in the drivers side rear, bolted to the floor there next to the t tops in that space under the plastic..I want to keep it there, not go to the spare tire well..will that be a tall order to get a sealed box in there LEGALLY? I just want to make sure it'll pass tech however I do it.

2--You do need a sealed box to be legal with one of our cars due to not having a firewall to put it behind back there, yes?

3-- I see several options for kill switches on summit/jegs. The flaming river one is alot more money than say the moroso one..is this because of the T handle? I assume that is needed to go to the outside of the car or has anyone had any luck with making the cheaper one work and still have the required outside shutoff??

4--Anything else I'm missing/need to know about getting it all legal to pass tech...??

thanks!
Old 05-10-2004, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do NOT need a sealed box, just needs to be secure.
I have the flaming river switch,nice piece.
I have to change my wiring because the car will still run above 2k RPMs
because it feeds off the alternator.

BTW- you have a RACE CAR.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Motorboater

just needs to be secure? so i don't even need a box? I was thinking of having a couple of metal straps fabbed up that would criss cross the top of it and bolt down to the car on either side, think that would pass tech as secure?

shaddup biatch, we all know you're the RACE CAR driver
Old 05-10-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

I have no box, it's just stuffed in the passenger side behind the wheelwell,
with a hold down.
Passed tech @ 66 no problem.
Optima's don't need to be vented, I don't know if this applies with other batteries, though.

RACE CAR DRIVER
Old 05-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Motorboater

i would assume other batteries need to be. but a stock battery isn't legal anyway i don't think because its not dry cell like the optima. not worried about that, i have the red top already.

sweet, i'll prolly get my hands on a kill switch then and work on a solid mounting device
Old 05-10-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Red Top??!!!!!

I Need Spots!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2004, 05:38 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In order to fully pass NHRA tech all batteries, sealed or not are required to be in a sealed box. Some tracks allow it to be secured. But if you go by the rules, a sealed box is required.

The Flaming River switch is a great piece. The angle bracket and bar make it way cheaper then a Moroso where you have to buy all of that stuff separate. It makes it very easy to mount and extend beyond the bumper. Other options is to mount the toggle of the Moroso directly to the rear facia, but it takes some work as there are only a certain few places where it will work.

The wiring needs to be done so that the alternator and the battery are on the same side of the switch. The fuse box and starter need to be on the disconnect side of the switch. If you do a search here you'll get plenty of posts regarding this topic.

Let us know if you have any more questions!
Old 05-10-2004, 06:05 PM
Motorboater

01 Z always beggin for spots nothing ever changes

Derty, my intention is to get legal for the north vs south event at 41, which is IHRA..and as usual i'm on a tight budget, if i can avoid spending 120 bucks on a sealed box i would like to. what's your opinion on that given my goal?

i ran across your own good explanation of the wiring when i did my search, a belated thanks for that

I have ordered the Moroso "standard" switch that Speed Inc carries..Tom told me its the one they used on his car, the turbo z28.

It looks to be complete with the T bar handle and everything..I don't understand what I'll have to buy extra? looks like the flaming river but 30 bucks less..
Old 05-10-2004, 06:16 PM
The Bull

Depends on what Moroso switch you get. Sometimes they only package it with the switch and no push/pull handle.

If you want to get away with a cheap alternative that will help contain it a little, move it to the spare tire well and leave the cover over it. You can either get the BMR bracket or a different setup. That will leave the T-top area completely useable instead of useless when you are done. Then you have to deal with the rare event that you might not be allowed to race at some tracks versus others.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:46 PM
Motorboater

my t top area is usable the way i have it now..the battery is just under the plastic on the drivers side..on the ledge next to the t top holder.

i hear ya though..tracks around here never check that kinda thing..i'm really just worried about how strict it'll be at north vs south
Old 05-10-2004, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you DO need a vented box, these are NHRA regulations. Unless you have an approved thickness firewall that seals to the rear hatch, you will need one, NO MATTER WHAT BATTERY YOU HAVE.

Here's a couple pix of my setup. I have the working cutoff switch (I have no bumper support) and the battery is secured using an approved tie down and bolts. The only thing I lack is a box as I have to find one that fits. (I will be doing a complete writeup for my homepage soon). I'll include a quickie diagram I made too.
Attached Thumbnails Couple of Battery Box, Kill Switch Q's...-battery01.jpg   Couple of Battery Box, Kill Switch Q's...-battery03.jpg   Couple of Battery Box, Kill Switch Q's...-battery04.jpg   Couple of Battery Box, Kill Switch Q's...-battery021.jpg   Couple of Battery Box, Kill Switch Q's...-battery_relocation_zed2.jpg  

Last edited by buffhomer; 05-11-2004 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Motorboater

nice looking setup there, thanks for the pics and diagram.

soooo...now i hear vented? so what do you need..a sealed one or vented or what? getting a bit confused here..all i saw on summit and jegs was either cheap plastic ones or nice "sealed" metal ones..
Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 AM
The Bull

All sealed boxes come with a vent tube that goes through a grommet outside the car. That's there to vent the gasses out incase it explodes. Otherwise it will be under pressure and that would be worse then just having it in the car. Provided it doesn't splash on you!

The Summit metal box is sealed and vented.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Motorboater

ok, gotcha..thanks Derty
Old 05-11-2004, 04:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

I have a sealed plastic box in the trunk area. My cutoff works.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:24 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I have a sealed plastic box in the trunk area. My cutoff works.
Would you like a cookie?

FWIW, I use the Summit aluminum battery box in the spare tire well, it fits nice.

Last edited by Brady; 05-11-2004 at 08:38 PM. Reason: decided to add a little value
Old 05-12-2004, 07:13 AM
The Bull

Originally Posted by Brady
Would you like a cookie?

FWIW, I use the Summit aluminum battery box in the spare tire well, it fits nice.
on both accounts.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:04 AM
Motorboater

i didn't think i saw a sealed plastic box??

like i said, on a budget and trying not to have to spend a bunch of money for an aluminum one if i can avoid it...

i thought the only plastic ones i saw were not sealed/vented??
Old 05-12-2004, 10:08 AM
The Bull

Moroso makes it. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...rt=MOR%2D74050

It's a bit larger then the aluminum ones. It's pretty close to the same money though.
Old 05-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Motorboater

thanks. i think the extra coin for an aluminum one is prolly worth it for appearance, especially since mine is not hidden in the spare tire well.

i can just get a plain aluminum one and polish it myself since i know how to polish aluminum.

one more q..we have the group 24 battery right..is that the size and optima would be?
not at home, can't go measure the damn thing

Quick Reply: Couple of Battery Box, Kill Switch Q's...