Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious question about BMR TQ arm and Moser 12-bolt (cutting maybe involved)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Serious question about BMR TQ arm and Moser 12-bolt (cutting maybe involved)

No its not about the TQ arm to differential bolts

Well not directly.

More to the point. On BMR's Adjustable TQ arm, there is a upper and lower tab on to which mounts it to the rear. On each of these tabs there are 2 SETS of holes next to one another.

I was told one is for the factory 7.5" 10 bolt rears and the other are for 12 bolt rears, like a Moser or Strange.

I did no cutting or grinding, I picked the set of holes that best fit the rear. I looked to see if I could get the TQ arm closer but the TAB would hit the lip on the diff, so I picked the other set.

Now speaking with a few local guys with BMR stuff, they said I had to CUT the 1st set of holes, and attach it via the 2nd set, being that the 1st was for the 10 bolt and the other is for the 12 bolt.

So this basically means I will be permantly Damaging my tq arm, so that it will only fit on 12 bolt rear.

Has ANYONE heard about this, or done it themselves. If they have, how did they do it and can you give anytips.

By the way, on next tuesday I will be going to East Side Perf. in Wallingford, CT and they are doing relocation brackets for the rear and getting her set up and dialed in. But when I get there I want to be able to ask some questions and have a good Idea when I get the answers.

But here is the set up

383 LT1
4L60e 2000 rpm conerter
3" Denny Steel n2o ready DS
Moser 12 bolt
BMR Adjustable TQ arm
BMR Adjustable Pan hard rod
BMR Rear LCA's (non adjustable)
Stock springs and shocks (soon to be upgrading)
Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy and I put a Moser 12 bolt in his 94 and installed a BMR t/a at the same time and we didnt have any problems with it. Can remember but I think there were only one set of holes on teh t/a but Im not for sure.
Old 06-21-2005, 04:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, thats true. You need to cut it to move it over enough to use the other holes. Otherwise, I think it'll hit the side of the tunnel. Maybe not if your car's not lowered. Last time I talked to Frank at BMR he said they were going to be making a 12 bolt specific bracket for their torque arms. That was probably a year ago and I haven't seen one yet. You might call BMR and see what they say.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Internet Mechanic

ok, thanks I appreciate the comments. The TQ was rubbing up on the Seat belt bolt on the driver side. I took it out since I dont have rear seats. But on Tuesday I will have it fixed right.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:09 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you have the car on teh lift.. you should be able to see if it's strait, it would be crooked if the arm is mounted in the wrong holes I'd think in relativity to the driveshaft... maybe I'm wrong...
Old 06-24-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

You have to cut the wholes. I Have had both BMR and now a SPHON. had to cut on both of them to make it fit the 12 bolt.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Just out of curiosity, what holes are you guys talking about? Cuz I have a BMR adjustable T/A and I didn't do anything, it fit perfect? Is this for a full length one, or a trak pak/extreme duty one?
Old 06-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Internet Mechanic

It is hard to explain, but if you look at your upper and lower tabs on a BMR adjustable tq arm. Normally you need on each tab, 2 holds. (2 on top, 2 on the bottom) Either you use a straight through bolt or on a moser its 4 bolts since it doesnt go through all the way.

Long story short on the upper and lower tabs, there are 2 SETS of hole directly next to each other. I use the 1st set, but the torque arm is not as close as it could be to the rear. By cutting the tab and holes you can bring the tq arm closer toward the rear.

This may be 1 of many reasons why my rear unloads under launch.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
It is hard to explain, but if you look at your upper and lower tabs on a BMR adjustable tq arm. Normally you need on each tab, 2 holds. (2 on top, 2 on the bottom) Either you use a straight through bolt or on a moser its 4 bolts since it doesnt go through all the way.

Long story short on the upper and lower tabs, there are 2 SETS of hole directly next to each other. I use the 1st set, but the torque arm is not as close as it could be to the rear. By cutting the tab and holes you can bring the tq arm closer toward the rear.

This may be 1 of many reasons why my rear unloads under launch.
Ah ****, I just went and looked under my car to try and see if there's other holes, cuz I could've sworn there was only 2, but it does look like there is 2 others, and I have mine in the first set, not the second. I had no idea, so what do you do, cut that first set off with a sawzall and use the second set? I was wondering why my damn T/A rests on the floorboard!!! Just really didn't think anything of it, could it affect my launches, cuz I was having major issues with initially hooking and then unloading and blowin the tires off!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah, so after I made my other post, I went out and pulled the bitch off and then went to the gym, gonna cut it when I get a chance. Anyone have any pics of where you cut it? It has very little space between the two holes, is it ok if some of the first hole is left on there?

I still can't believe i've had it on there for two years and am just finding this out now!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok, talked with BMR today and I got a very different story, they said the first set of bolt holes is for the 10-bolt and 12-bolt, and the second set is for the 9 inch, so they said there is no cutting needed. They said just to massage my tranny tunnel a little so it's not sitting on it.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same problem, BMR says it is a problem with Moser, Moser said it was a problem with BMR. Its not a 9" vs 12 bolt thing either, with my 9" the bracket wouldnt even line up with one set of holes, and one the other set, the tq arm would hit the bottom of the car. Hopefully I will get this straightened out tomorrow over at RX, or even at BMR.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:35 PM
Internet Mechanic

Well I just brought the car down to the shop today. They are going to cut it and also to weld in relocation brackets as well as weld in SFC's
Old 06-30-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS666
I have the same problem, BMR says it is a problem with Moser, Moser said it was a problem with BMR. Its not a 9" vs 12 bolt thing either, with my 9" the bracket wouldnt even line up with one set of holes, and one the other set, the tq arm would hit the bottom of the car. Hopefully I will get this straightened out tomorrow over at RX, or even at BMR.
I've got it out already, so i'm just gonna take a 3 pound sledge and bang in the area on the tranny tunnel where it was rubbing before I put it back in this weekend.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn I was just under there messing with that while changing out my tranny and only saw 2 holes on the top and bottom all of which had bolts in it, tq arm is not rubbing on anythign and it looks straight,, Ill have to go investigate this.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been having a bad highway (55+mph) vibration/shaking in the car and it has been the worst troubleshooting problem ever! Well, long story short, I just noticed what I am almost 100% sure is the problem. My car is lowered and I have it set in the outside holes since it wouldnt fit the inside holes. Now that I noticed it, it is SO close to the tunnel that when you push weight down onto the back of the car, it doesnt squat at all.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...54#post3540754

SO I guess I will be cutting that bastard off tomorrow!

I have done so many things to try to fix the prob. If I only would have know it was that.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem and called them about a year ago also. They said they were going to make a moser bracket.
I ended up cutting the bracket off pretty much down the center of the first set of holes. You may also want to look at the fitment of the bracket to the mount. Mine had a slight gap (I believe this is why bmrs seem to loosen with mosers) and would not go away no matter how tight I got it. I ended up making a thin shim for the top and bottom and have never had my rear TA bolts come loose again
Old 09-25-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
I had the same problem and called them about a year ago also. They said they were going to make a moser bracket.
I ended up cutting the bracket off pretty much down the center of the first set of holes. You may also want to look at the fitment of the bracket to the mount. Mine had a slight gap (I believe this is why bmrs seem to loosen with mosers) and would not go away no matter how tight I got it. I ended up making a thin shim for the top and bottom and have never had my rear TA bolts come loose again
Yeah I was also thinking of welding the holes closed and re-drilling a smaller hole.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

damn, great post. I just had noticed my bolts on my X-treme duty BMR were loose. I'll have to investigate this also. I know mine is in the 1st set of holes. I also have a moser 12-bolt.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

ok, after a quick check if you put it in the 1st set, it is definitely not straight with a 12-bolt. guess I'll take it out and grind it down.
I had not had problems with launching with this tq arm and my last setup. cut consistant mid 1.4X 60's. now I switched to all solid stuff and I can't get it to hook for ****, mid 1.5X's. maybe this is part of the problem.

Quick Reply: Serious question about BMR TQ arm and Moser 12-bolt (cutting maybe involved)