Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Finally found vibration problem: BMR Torque Arm

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally found vibration problem: BMR Torque Arm

OK this has been a SOB to find and I finally noticed it.

Normally I have my car on the lift so the suspension is not loaded. Well, in trying to find the source of my vibration problem, I backed the car onto some ramps and got under there on my back.

I searched and searched and finally noticed the problem. Where the BMR Adjustable torque arm mounts onto the rear end, I have it in the 'outside' holes of the torque arm.

Say the torque arm plate holes look like this:
------
|O O |
|
|O O |
------

Well, where the torque arm mounts it is hitting the chassis while the suspension is loaded. So, in reality, my car has no 'spring' to it whatsoever. As soon as the back end of the car is pushed down 1/8", it bottoms out on the torque arm. I am amazed that it wasnt more noticable!!!

MY QUESTION:
The torque arm has to mount this way (outside holes) to fit the Moser rear end. The only way I see around it is to take off the torque arm and cut the torque arm mounting plate in half so that only the inside holes will remain, and use those.

Is this what I should do? I am surprised BMR does not mention this in instructions! I am mad at them!

btw, the vibration problem only occured above 55mph and got worse with higher speed.

Quick Reply: Finally found vibration problem: BMR Torque Arm