Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aerospace brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aerospace brakes

Alright, i searched and have been reading for about 45 minutes now. Alot of people seem to say you can run the drag front brakes on the street with no problem. Some people say it stops better than stock, some say it is worse. Just trying to figure out which is right. Also, i could not find anywhere that stated the weight difference between the street and drag only brakes. Any know? Would it be wise to go with a manual master cyl. with the aerospace brakes?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:28 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have a lot of street miles on my aerospace fronts and cant believe I havent warped the rotors yet. They stop well but a couple long, fast haul downs and they start to go away. With the stock rears they work OK for street driving. I recently did Strange rears and the short term stopping power is incredible like any drag brake - but they go away quick. For 50mph stoplight to stoplight on a hot day I think you are better off with stock stuff. Highway cruising and ocassional city driving would be fine, my car is fairly light though. I dont know about putting them on a 4000lb car with kids in the back and cruising around though..
Old 08-03-2005, 11:34 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kp
Well, I have a lot of street miles on my aerospace fronts and cant believe I havent warped the rotors yet. They stop well but a couple long, fast haul downs and they start to go away. With the stock rears they work OK for street driving. I recently did Strange rears and the short term stopping power is incredible like any drag brake - but they go away quick. For 50mph stoplight to stoplight on a hot day I think you are better off with stock stuff. Highway cruising and ocassional city driving would be fine, my car is fairly light though. I dont know about putting them on a 4000lb car with kids in the back and cruising around though..
This pretty much mirrors the results a buddy of mine has with his aerospace brakes on his 71 Nova. They dropped 30 lbs over the stock drums (he is still running stock drums in the rear) and the car stops much quicker than before. The techs at aerospace/A.R.T. said to keep street driving light and under 50 miles with a cooling period between to allow the brake rotors to not warp as they are unvented. He also runs a manual master cylinder.

Derek
Old 08-04-2005, 08:18 PM
FormerVendor

how much weight difference is there between the aerospace drag and a ls1 set up?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I avoid the Aerospace products. I have had numerous problems due to caliper freezing etc.

225-343-9029
Old 08-04-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MADMAN
I avoid the Aerospace products. I have had numerous problems due to caliper freezing etc.

Ya I have a guy around here that used to swear by them but he said since they have become a "big" company their quality has gone down. Just spend the money and go Strange
Old 08-05-2005, 03:32 AM
FormerVendor

What do you use madman?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:19 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange and Mark Williams

225-343-9029
Old 08-05-2005, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

OK. Sounds good. Glad i posted before buying any. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: aerospace brakes