Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 vs. LS1 front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 01:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 vs. LS1 front brakes

I'm about to finally put the entire front suspension together and was wondering which brakes i should go with. I tried to search and see if someone had asked this before but i couldnt find anything. I have a few sets of both LT1 and LS1 brakes sitting here. Since the car will see street miles, i really dont want to go with a light weight drag only set up. Would it be better to go with the LS1s to save a little weight with the alum calipers? thanks for the help.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

The LT1 rotors are smaller, so I guess the rotors probably weigh less, but when I picked up a stock LT1 rotor and LS1 rotor the LS1 rotor actually felt to be about the same weight. The rotor is rotational weight so I figured the LT1 setup would be better for drag racing but there is something different about (at least the oem) rotor construction for the two. I doubt there would be a huge difference and I would probably go with the LS1 setup for safely stopping if anything.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with LS1s, LT1 brakes were great when they came out in 1993, but the LS1 brakes are a lot better
Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 PM
FormerVendor

alright thanks for the input
Old 03-13-2006, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

you have the right idea though, the smaller diameter rotor would probably give a little help w/ rotational wieght, but the calipers are steel on LT1 and wiegh more, I haven't had a scale on either so I can't claim any wieghts. I would stick with the LS1's the twin piston, and the larger rotor looks better too. Oh, and I'm pritty sure the only rotor lighter than stock, is the eradspeed rotors by baer, but kinda pricey, stay away from the heavy powerslots.

Good luck, I just mounted my front and rear areospace and strange drag brakes. And man are those calipers light

Quick Reply: LT1 vs. LS1 front brakes