Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance and racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Insurance and racing

Did a search and most of the insurance questions were for speeding tickets...

I called my insurance company and asked about coverage while at the track, they replied that they would drop coverage if they discovered I was racing at a track.

If your racing at a track, does the track have coverage, is there an insurance company that permits coverage of a daily driver at a track?

TAI
Beer
Old 03-14-2006, 11:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AAA told me they won't even tow or help a vehicle in the parking lot.....just incase they were racing.

I was pissed to say the least.

I assume insurance companys have the same deal.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any track I've ever been to will make you sign a release form before they allow you to go down the track. The form excludes them from any liability. As far as insurance companies go, I've heard of people getting thier car pulled out of the lot on to a local road and then calling the insurance company for a tow. I of course have never done that since it's insurance fraud, but I have heard of it...Wink Wink
Old 03-15-2006, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

No insurance company will cover us, "we play, we pay"!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:58 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
AAA told me they won't even tow or help a vehicle in the parking lot.....just incase they were racing.

I was pissed to say the least.

I assume insurance companys have the same deal.
Not true in Indiana. My battery died while sitting in the staging lanes at Indianapolis Raceway Park about four years ago. I called AAA, and they came right up to the lanes and towed me out. No questions asked. The guy even got the dolly down so the car could be towed by the nose and not have the rear wheels on the ground.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Not true in Indiana. My battery died while sitting in the staging lanes at Indianapolis Raceway Park about four years ago. I called AAA, and they came right up to the lanes and towed me out. No questions asked. The guy even got the dolly down so the car could be towed by the nose and not have the rear wheels on the ground.
You got lucky. AAA is a national comapny and they have universal policies. Maybe that happened before they made this rule
Old 03-15-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

You seriously think some company is going to cover someone drag racing?
And you then ask if the track, of all places, will give out insurance???

Heh I think not my friend. Just be careful
Old 03-15-2006, 04:51 PM
12 Second Club

If your a NHRA member, and racing at NHRA track. I think you are covered in some way, but maybe it's just medical and not for your car.

edit:

Straight from the site.

Last edited by NastyNate; 03-15-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I know alot of guys that use AAA since their cars are not trailer queens. I even signed up for my own membership just in case my POS breaks. They where still towing from the track as of last fall. I'm sure the tow truck drivers really don't give a **** where they pick up the car, as long as AAA pays them. No need to tell AAA "I need a ride home from the dragstrip".

If your really woried about being covered you might want to look into race car insurance. I've never looked into it, but they must have something to cover the weekend warrior street/strip guys.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got towed from steele dragstrip in october. Lady asked for the address...i didnt know so i told her to look up Alabama International Dragstrip
Old 03-16-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

The trick is to have a friend with a trailer....did i say that out loud?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

not too long ago (2005, or 2004), some insurance companies were actually going to the track with camera's and photographing cars that had policies with them and shortly after, the owner of the vehicle would get a notice in the mail saying that they were being dropped. Needless to say people started covering up their license plates with duct and electrical tape.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just take your plates off...... you can find out alot of info about someone by just there plate.....
Old 03-16-2006, 08:34 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Yeah, I know alot of guys that use AAA since their cars are not trailer queens. I even signed up for my own membership just in case my POS breaks. They where still towing from the track as of last fall. I'm sure the tow truck drivers really don't give a **** where they pick up the car, as long as AAA pays them. No need to tell AAA "I need a ride home from the dragstrip".
The tow truck driver was more interested in my car than anything else. It was a private towing operation that was under contract with AAA, and he could have cared less what I was doing. He got his money regardless. When I called AAA for the tow, I actually told them I was at Indianapolis Raceway Park right behind the tower As others have said, maybe the policy has changed (since June 2002).

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Just take your plates off...... you can find out alot of info about someone by just there plate.....
You have to run your license plate at the IRP Street Legal drags. I've seen people turned away in the tech line for not having a plate on their car.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

You have to run your license plate at the IRP Street Legal drags. I've seen people turned away in the tech line for not having a plate on their car.

Some have to remove it so the Chute mount can go there.......

Maybe ill just cut a hole in the plate.... or is that illegal??
Old 03-16-2006, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

when you sign the waiver. a bad scerio but gets the point across. if say someone was to cross the track and a car hit them and killed them, the driver would never be charged for veh manslaughter. its a high risk area, where anything can happen and no one is liable to to the risk factor.

if you break at the track, best advise would be to have someone help you get your car down the road from the track and park on the side of the road then call a tow truck or what not.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

insurance is nothing but a scam! we pay for a just in case,but they never give all our money back do they. if you make a claim,they raise your payment,nothing but a scam and we're all suckers.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:29 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

be careful what you say to the insurance people. I just got insurance on my mustang 2 months ago. i asked them for and special insurance that could cover cars with less than 500 mile put on them a year... trying to be cheap. i was totally honest with them and told them i was going to drive it to and from the track only. 40 days later i got a letter in the mail saying they were canceling not only the mustang, but my entire families policy. My wife and i both have flawless records, but they said i was high risk for having "racing equipment installed". Go figure.
so i called them back and tried to get knsurance on just my family cars... they pretty much told me to go F$#K myself.
Just a warning to anyone using Travelers. Now my allstate agent asked how fast the car was
Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 AM
12 Second Club

Quote from someones sig on another board

"After talking with my insurance agent, it has come to my attention that all my racing will take place on the streets, since my coverage does not extend onto a race track...."
Old 03-17-2006, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even my race car insurance policy does not cover me once I enter the staging lanes. I would think that any tow truck will come and get you from the race track. Just don't ask the insurance company to pay the bill! The IHRA/NHRA coverage is for personnal injury.

Daren