Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailor Queen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailor Queen?

Well i dont drive my car every day but i do get out once in awile and go to a car show or cruise in. The more things i do to this car for the track, it takes away from the street. Plus i feel like on the street something is always getting torn up..

My question is legaly and safely at what point do most of you completley give up on the street and trailor the car everywhere it needs to go? I already trailor it to the track. Its the rest i think im in denial with, just looking for opinions on this..
Old 06-25-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um, once you hit the point where its more trouble than fun to swap it back and forth from street trim to race trim, i reached that point for a while but what i do now is race in the winter and drive in the summer. i only trailer the car when i think it could break and id be stuck out of the local area like to a dyno or the track, i still love driving mine eventho its hot as a sombeech with no a/c at 2pm
Old 06-25-2006, 10:45 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I just pulled the plug on street driving for the most part. The roll cage was the deal breaker. Roll bar was no big deal but roll cage, window net, kirky seat mounted the floor, obnoxiously loud exhaust, rattling rod ends on the front/rear suspension, getting tired of swapping wheels/tires and fuel all added up to it.

Going from a fast street car to a slow race car kinda sucks though, I'm going to have to step it up a little
Old 06-25-2006, 11:11 PM
7 Second Club

Both KP and Smokin summed up my feelings. My car isn't fast enough to make it a race-only ride, and I still enjoy cruising the streets with her. Yeah no A/C kinda sucks but I'm used to it after 14 years.
Something about spanking a trailered car with a ride you drove to the track in and out again is a bitchin feeling!

Derek
Old 06-25-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

My car has a 10pt cage, no A/C, no Heat, Full Tubular Suspension, QA1's, etc etc.. It will see the street quite often on the weekends and a trip to work and back from time to time as well.. I'm not worried about rattles and squeaks or exhaust fumes.. lol I just wanna turn some heads and stir up some **** around town..
Old 06-26-2006, 12:20 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
My car has a 10pt cage, no A/C, no Heat, Full Tubular Suspension, QA1's, etc etc.. It will see the street quite often on the weekends and a trip to work and back from time to time as well.. I'm not worried about rattles and squeaks or exhaust fumes.. lol I just wanna turn some heads and stir up some **** around town..
I CAN drive it, it has a stock cam, power steering, brakes etc. But I really dont ENJOY driving it anymore, I've driven around a lot more radical stuff then this but what do you do with a mid 9 second car really? Race soccer moms in minivans when they try to pull around you at a stoplight lol.

Main reason I dont drive it is I'm afraid if I get in an accident someone is going to start screaming 'he was street racing' and decides they want to sue me. I have too much to lose if someone decides they want to sue me and my insurance company turns tail and runs when they see I what I was driving
Old 06-26-2006, 04:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ApacheDrill
Well i dont drive my car every day but i do get out once in awile and go to a car show or cruise in. The more things i do to this car for the track, it takes away from the street. Plus i feel like on the street something is always getting torn up..

My question is legaly and safely at what point do most of you completley give up on the street and trailor the car everywhere it needs to go? I already trailor it to the track. Its the rest i think im in denial with, just looking for opinions on this..

Jim, I think the day you took the windsheild wipers off the car pretty much made it a trailor *****.. unless you got a LONG left arm and a squeegie..
Old 06-26-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Chris.. i knew you would be all over that..

I agree with KP, its not that i cant drive the car on the street, its just a pain in the *** and with the amount of money we have into these cars, its alot of risk. I had a friend that had a wreck and just becuase he had a cage, they almost didnt cover his car when he totaled it, because they felt it was a race car.. My air bags are long gone along with a bunch of other weight reduction, so safety on the street, if there was a accident isnt there..

I really enjoy driving to and from the track handing plenty of full tubbed slicked out cars there ***'s, but my car really changed directions after i was required to add a cage to stay NHRA legal.. Thats when the rules changed
Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 AM
10 Second Club

I can say mine has turned into a trailer queen. We take it to the track twice a week and sometimes every blue moon drive to the lake to show it off. (10 minutes away) I put a HUGE stall in mine so temp is not good if you drive it too long. At one point you have to decide do you want it to be a street car or a drag car.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
I can say mine has turned into a trailer queen. We take it to the track twice a week and sometimes every blue moon drive to the lake to show it off. (10 minutes away) I put a HUGE stall in mine so temp is not good if you drive it too long. At one point you have to decide do you want it to be a street car or a drag car.
how huge is "HUGE" i daily drove on a 4K stall with no problems.

ps. I used to live in Grand Prairie before i joined the army... AGES AGO!! lived out past traders village
Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by kp
I CAN drive it, it has a stock cam, power steering, brakes etc. But I really dont ENJOY driving it anymore, I've driven around a lot more radical stuff then this but what do you do with a mid 9 second car really? Race soccer moms in minivans when they try to pull around you at a stoplight lol.

Main reason I dont drive it is I'm afraid if I get in an accident someone is going to start screaming 'he was street racing' and decides they want to sue me. I have too much to lose if someone decides they want to sue me and my insurance company turns tail and runs when they see I what I was driving
That's starting to bother me a little as well.

BTW, check out KCIR.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

I drive mine only on the weekends sometimes but whenever I go to the track it's trailered. It's not fast but being it's 63 miles one way from my house to the track it's cheaper than getting it towed home. Plus I'm tired of swapping tires at the track. With the trailer I just drive it off and it's ready. That and I'm also still using the stock tranny which is on borrowed time.

So I guess it depends on what safety features in has that directly relates to what is needed for the street (i.e. bumper supports, air bags, etc). As far as from a legal standpoint I would say the noise level and tires are probably the biggest factors.
-Mark
Old 06-26-2006, 08:36 AM
I ruin the end of films...

I'm not big on driving a car with overhead bars on the street. If there's any sort of wreck and you smack your head off the bars, game over.

Otherwise, my definition of a street car is pretty vague. If it drives on the street, it's a street car.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:42 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by mongse
I'm not big on driving a car with overhead bars on the street. If there's any sort of wreck and you smack your head off the bars, game over.

Otherwise, my definition of a street car is pretty vague. If it drives on the street, it's a street car.
Thats pretty much it for me with the 10pt, I just dont like that bar right next to my head. I have the seat dropped down so far to be under it w/o a helmet now I can barely see over the dash and I'm 6'4" Its no problem at the track but sitting that low in the car and being strapped in tight I feel like a 5' tall woman driving a 79 cadillac

I agree though, if you drive it on the street and it has plates/insurance its a street car..