Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fabbed door panel pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 05:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fabbed door panel pics.

Finally got the door panels back from the upholstery shop after being matched to my carpet color.... So here they are.... For anyone that hasn't followed the story the stock door panels would not clear the cage so I had a friend (with my help) fab up some door panels from very lightweight aluminum. I mocked them up, trimmed where necessary to clear the door then dropped them off at the shop to be carpeted (to get me around some racing classes that state "all interior must be carpeted" to avoid the guys with sheetmetal dashes trying to compete)..... So hope you enjoy....

FWIW, I'm not too sure my buddy can make another set only cause he did it at his job using their materials... might not be a good idea to try churning out door panels on company time and money.... but PM me if you want to find out how we made em.....

enjoy...

Old 09-02-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care how, who, what... I want a set for my camaro! They look freaking awesome!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

very nice.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

We make a set for the F-Body. We have them ready to ship.
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=784

Dan
Old 09-02-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

They look awsome and i am not trying to hijack, but with power windows how would you still make this work? How much of a pain is it to close the door without the arm rest? My arm rest comes right up against the cage and its tight.. I have considered the idea of doing this but not ready to gut the door and loose the power windows and locks..

Again not trying to Hijack.. just trying to hear your side on this..
Old 09-02-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Dan / Wolfe Race Craft
We make a set for the F-Body. We have them ready to ship.
http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=784

Dan

there you go big mike.. get those(which we can get for you) cover them with some cloth and your good to go... they look good in the top pic with the material on them, i'm not a fan of aluminum door panels but those look nice..

jay
Old 09-02-2006, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

thanks for the compliments guys.... i think they turned out pretty good... I did look at the wolfe racecraft ones which I based these on... when looking at them on the website my buddy who fabricates for a living on airplanes said "I can make those easily"... So i let him.... he mocked up the shape using a clear plastic template using a marker to mark where I wanted the holes to be for the window crank/door handle, etc.... then he used a metal brake on sheets of aluminum to make the angle where the window is... got a basic shape and then trimmed it to follow the contour of the door... done deal.. Each one weighs about 3 lbs.... way lighter than the stock panels...

the upholstry is just your standard speaker enclosure carpet color matched to my interior.... any stereo shop can do the job....

With power windows i'm not sure how you could pull it off... however you could just remove the stock panels removing the electronics and then relocate the switch into the sheetmetal panel.... it's not hard closing the door without the armrest.. if you look at the pics i left the hole there where the two mounting bolts are.. i'm going to fab up a handle using steel with a rubber sleeve to keep my hand safe...
Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 PM
9 Second Club

Vey nice. good job!!

Quick Reply: fabbed door panel pics.