Sponsored by:

Lt1 Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 PM
n2o
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lt1 Brakes

Would running an Lt1 brake setup on the front of an 98+ car save any weight? I believe that the rotors are smaller (dia.) aren't they? Also are there any issues/drawbacks associated with this? It's about time to replace pads for me and probably rotors. If there can be a gain or weight loss I will go this route.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally, I think the LT1 brakes suck, the single piston calipers are horrible, and I immediately upgraded them to the LS1 brakes on my LT1 car. In my opinion, even if there is a weight difference, the difference would be miniscule, and you'd be taking away performance from your braking, which ultimately will be responsible for the handling, and slowing of your car. I advise not to do it, and if you want to remove weight from the front of your car, look at lightweight control arms/kmember/relocating the battery.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 AM
TECH Resident

LT1 calipers weigh more but the rotor (rotating weight) can be lighter. There is a difference in weight from GM rotors and aftermarket ones you get at the part store.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

LT1 calipers are steel while the LS1s are alum. also. Last time I asked on here, everyone seemed to feel there wasn't a noticable weight difference in the two set ups.