Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jounce spacers, can i remove em completely????

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default jounce spacers, can i remove em completely????

I took one side of these off the other day and got to wondering.... without them can the axle tube on the rearend smash into the frame if the suspension compresses enough????? I remember awhile back when I could see clean spots on the axle tubes where the jounce spacers had touched the axle tubes so i know they've met before... i just want to make sure i can remove them without bad things happening.....

car is drag raced 90% and driven on street 10% if that....
Old 02-18-2007, 07:10 PM
9 Second Club

anybody??? someone musta pulled these things completely off at least to clear huge tires....
Old 02-18-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm confused by the "jounced" wordage. Are you talking about the bump stops -- a piece of rubber attached to the frame just above the axle? If so, I haven't run my bump stops for the last 2 years without any problems. My SS is basically drag, with very very limited street use. There is NO bounce left in the SS and will soon get worse with stiffer springs.

David
Old 02-18-2007, 11:01 PM
9 Second Club

yeah i think the official name is jounce spacers... but yeah they are rubber bump stops to make sure the axles don't tag the frame.....

cool then i'll lose em....

what are your QA1's set to???
Old 02-19-2007, 07:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OutlawZ
yeah i think the official name is jounce spacers... but yeah they are rubber bump stops to make sure the axles don't tag the frame.....

cool then i'll lose em....

what are your QA1's set to???

3 front; 6 rear - to start. Really don't adjust them much. I have played 0 rear to 10 rear. Always go back to 3/6.

David
Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take them out. I've completely torched them out on MANY pure street cars to keep 17X11" wheels from hanging on them or 15X10" drag wheels from rubbing with large slicks. I never had a problem with bottoming out the suspension in 5 years of street driving my car with various wheel and tire combos. Now I can't say that you will never do this, if you load the car fully with 4 people I guess it would be possible... I'm sure GM didn't put them there for nothing!

Shane