Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My plans for 2008 Racing Season - bracket racers inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My plans for 2008 Racing Season - bracket racers inside

I got a few questions for you hardcore bracket racers.

I race 1/8th mile around here and most all bracket racing in my division is 1/8th mile. So that is what I am setting up for.

It will have mini tubs soon also a cage is waiting installation. I did a few hp mods this year and weight reduction. I don't know what it will wiegh but I am hoping for under 3k with driver(need to go on a diet over the next year) and if I can't do that 3k without driver. I am hoping to get in the 6's this year if possible.

I am planning on a Powerglide, tbrake, 2step, Delaybox, New Wheels(15x12) and tires(29x10.5w). I want to race super pro next year.
also want to get a new 90/90

I would like to be running around 6.50-6.70 with consistant numbers but if I don't get those numbers that can be taken care of later.
I also am thinking about uping compression and running E85 but I got to look into that because I am not sure of some things about it

Ok here goes.

-Does a higher compression engine run more consistant.
I have heard this before but have never understood if this is true or not.
That is one of the reasons besides power of running a higher octane gas like E85 That brings me to my next question

-Is E85 sim to running alcohol? as in race alcohol?

-I have never ran alcohol before. I hear that you have to rebuild the engine a lot more often and change the oil every week. Is this true? if so. Is the same true with E85?

opinions wanted
Old 03-06-2007, 12:07 AM
JUICED96Z

On the Alky, you have to replace the fuel system. Can't use the regular pump gas system.

Alky WILL make you engine run cooler BUT it has twice the burn rate.

So if your car burns say a gallon of gas each pass (just throwing a number out) then with alky it will burn two gallons.

Don't know why you would need to change the oil.... thats odd.....????

If you also post this thread up in the SBC/BBC area you will get a lot of responses there also. A few VERY smart guys up there and bracket racers. I know one of them, he is a local.

Good luck on being under 3k pounds Hope you make it.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

changing oil because of contamination I guess.
Does it contaminate the oil?

http://www.steveschmidtracing.com/ca...roduct-47.html

"A SAE 15W-50, petroleum version of our original formula race oil, MicroZol XP4 offers lower cost protection for dirt and alcohol fueled engines that change oil after every race to prevent dirt and/or alcohol contamination. Designed for short duration races where engine load and dirt and fuel contamination is high, MicroZol XP4 uses unique anti-wear additives and emulsifiers to fight engine wear and to trap dirt particles. Compatible with methanol and high octane race fuels. Recommended applications: Big block dirt late model V-8s, Sprint and Midget engines, and other race engines with main and rod bearing clearances over .0030. Viscosity typical of a SAE 15W-50."

Maybe a vacuum pump could help keep it from getting by.

Last edited by brandonppr; 03-06-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:38 AM
JUICED96Z

Hmmm never heard anything about that.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:09 AM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the alcohol, I know from racers around me using it that there is a lot more upkeep with it versus regular pump or race gas. Flushing the system after each race, complete fuel system replacement (b/c alcohol eats rubber and o-rings), and hard starting with cold temps are a few things I've heard. It does also use 1-1/2 to 2 times the fuel versus regular gas. It does run cooler, but enough to offset the PITA upkeep? No thanks!

From my experience, higher compression doesn't affect consistency. How the car is set-up and your consistency on temp, shifting and such always helps. I've run 9.5:1 to 11:1 pump gas motors that both ran consistent, so I don't believe there will be a difference.

Derek
Old 03-06-2007, 07:28 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the only thing thats harder to beat than a 4.50 dragster in bracket racing is a 7.50 or a 7.99 car depending on what the bottom of the bracket is in you super pro series....

the worst place to try and run i think is around a 5.9-6.50

if you are running super pro youll find a majority of the people run dragsters that run 5.0 and faster..... the only thing that makes it hard on them to nose you out at the end is a car thats at the very bottom of the bracket... its hard to judge a car thats running 85mph when they are running 145....

i say dont waste money on HP if you are just wanting to bracket race... get a solid head and cam setup and hit the bottom of your bracket...
Old 03-06-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies.
I am just investigating into the whole higer compression thing.
If it doesn't help consistiantsy I don't care for it I can keep using 93.
and there is no way I am going to regular alcohol. The only way I was going to go that way is if E85 didn't have the same effects as regular alcohol.

your right about dragsters. thats about what most of them run here.
the bottom limit at one of the tracks a race at is 7.50 and one track there is no limit.
very few door cars here run slower than 6.9 with the most of them running 6.5-6.9 and a few -6.5
Old 03-06-2007, 10:07 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
the only thing thats harder to beat than a 4.50 dragster in bracket racing is a 7.50 or a 7.99 car depending on what the bottom of the bracket is in you super pro series....

the worst place to try and run i think is around a 5.9-6.50

if you are running super pro youll find a majority of the people run dragsters that run 5.0 and faster..... the only thing that makes it hard on them to nose you out at the end is a car thats at the very bottom of the bracket... its hard to judge a car thats running 85mph when they are running 145....

i say dont waste money on HP if you are just wanting to bracket race... get a solid head and cam setup and hit the bottom of your bracket...

VERY good advice there. I ran S/Pro year before last in a 6.00 door car. Very tough to compete with dragsters. Running on gas is also less consistent than alky. The tune up can change from day to night, weather, etc. Alky isn't nearly as affected by changes in temp/weather/etc. By buring more alky than gas, more gets by the rings contaminating the oil. Alky doesn't lubricate bearings well so if the oil gets washed down too bad you'll spin bearings. Also very hard on all rubber fuel system components.

As Ty said, try to SLOW your car down some and just work on your reaction consistency. S/Pro is a tough class!

Craig
Old 03-06-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure abuot how close E85 is to alcohol. I run alcohol, at first I had to change oil a lot because my filters were getting destroyed by the alcohol (it's corrosive). However I bought a Wix racing filter and went 40+ runs without changing, I run rotella as well, people on alcohol run some weird oil. Given how the amount of E85 used (as far as I know) isn't different than regular fuel I doubt it being like alcohol. I also don't empty my fuel lines after the race, I just run up the temp so that the water (it's a product after the fuel is used) evaporates out the valve covers. I know plenty of guys that go the entire year on alcohol without changing oil. Also the lower the compression you run if you were on alcohol the more you pick up by switching.

I'm running 5.90's and I can judge dragsters fine, especially if I'm in the right lane because it's like you're right by them. I can take the stripe by less than .01 on a 4 second dragster there. The left lane is harder though because you have the blind spot your car creates and you have to make your decision late. Still, it can be done as a slower car... You just have to dial all out if you can't judge the dragsters and drill them on the tree.

S/P is tough, if you're consistant on the bulb you can pull it off. I've found that being nervous is the best way, my 3rd weekend in a racecar I got down to 4 and the 7th weekend I won... After that though I got too comfortable in the car so my lights jumped around, I did get better at driving the other end. The benefit to being the fast car is for me it's easier to sandbag, I'll usually dial .03 or so above what I think it'll run.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the opinions. good info.
I think where you are in terms of et depends on your driving style to where you perform best. Very good points though.

I thought ethenol was alcohol.
from what I understand typical race alky is METHANOL which is more corrosive than ethenol.
I believe e85 is 85% alcohol 15% petro and E100 is 100% alcohol.
I have heard that some people are running E85 in brackets this year as opposed to methanol.
I know E85 is new to the scene of bracket racing so there is probley not much info on it just yet.
I was thinking maybe it could have the benifits of methanol without as many down sides.

here is an example:

http://www.moparmax.com/tech/ii_1-engine-2.html

"We will work towards making this Project 541/E85 Engine a model for a strong street engine as well. Our goal is to build a 10.5:1 engine that can make 700 horsepower on E85fuel, be competitive in brackets, Super Comp and be mild enough to find a home in your wicked street machine as well."

I am not worried about building a street car but a consistant car.
I don't want to run methonal. If E85 is not an alternative to methenol I will stick with gas.

Last edited by brandonppr; 03-07-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Off the subject a little, but where are you located and where do you race in TN? I am in Jackson, TN
Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
7 Second Club

i race at gleason, clarksville, sikeston and I-57 and bowling green... the 69 camaro is a bracket car, the 02 z28 is a street/heads up car..
Old 03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mostley race at Music City Raceway but last year I went to Clarksville a few times toward the end of the year. I have been to bowling green a few times, last time was for the Fbody reunion I drove it up there and ran it a few times but was having a trans tuning problem on the shifts. I have been to Hunstville a few times. I raced at Atlanta once for a division final.
I have been running footbrake in Pro Sportsman and Street legal classes. I have been running about 3 times a week but plan to not run quite as much this year and just consitrate on getting it together for Delay Class for next year. My goal is to get it where I want it and run a big buck weekend race once or twice a month instead of racing 3 times per week.

Last edited by brandonppr; 03-07-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Staging Lane

The flushing you fuel system with alcohol is an old myth. It does not need to be done. Mine sits with alcohol in it all winter. You will need to change you oil more often but not after every race. I change mine about every 50 runs. The advice given about judgeing the stripe is very true. There is no car harder for me to close up then the slow cars. When the speed difference is fifty miles per hour it is a crap shoot for both drivers. This helps to take away some of the faster cars advantage. I have never seen a higher compression engine proven to be more consistent.
Sorry for all the rambling just wanted to touch on some of the points I read.