Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight reduction....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight reduction....

How far have YOU gone? and what kind of driving do you do with your car?
I.E., daily driver, weekend driver, occasional street driver(1-3 times per month), all-out track car? Do you still have a/c, passenger seats, door panels,. power steering, sound deadener/carpet? What's it weigh?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine is a weekend driver. I just removed the spare,jack and might be getting a oddesy battery.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Banned

The only thing I've taken off is the front sway bar. I really don't want to take off much else. I'm keeping mine a street car/weekend car no matter how tempting it may get to take some junk out. I just don't want a gutted out race car.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:16 AM
9 Second Club

Almost to the max. I drive to the shop and a little on the weekends. No a/c, heater, p/b, p/s, radio, airbags, light weight carpet and no sound deadener (its loud as hell inside car). If I can do without it, it comes off! Around 2960lbs. with no driver.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:22 AM
11 Second Club

Daily driver here.
Full leather interior, A/C, P/S, etc ... nothing removed on the street.
I've been considering doing a tubular Kmember and a arms. Maybe next year.

When I hit the track, I remove the front swaybar (35mm Spohn, heavy), spare tire/jack and slap on the DRs and Skinnies.

Maybe I'm getting old, but sweating my *** off in a gutted car with sheetmetal
seats and interior and praying for light traffic so I don't overheat is just not
my idea of fun anymore LOL
(And you would be surprised how many people I see DDing cars like that)

Last edited by James Montigny; 03-17-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Until recently It was full weight and NHRA legal. cracked 136 a few times and on the verge of running nines.(10.0x@136+ w/3,650Lbs) Now putting front half of cage in. We will see what stays and what goes
Old 03-17-2007, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Pretty much everything here too. A/C, heat, radio, P/S, seats, lightweight carpet, fiberglass hood, anything that looks like it could be removed, bunch of plastic, cruise, windshield washer, 1 wiper, stock coolant resivoir, can't remember it all. Don't know what she weighs, but probably around 3K. Car only gets drove to town or to the track 1-2 times a week.

Chris
Old 03-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Launching!

mines a weekend driver i have removed ALOT the full stereo including all the wiring amp speakers antenna, heater core and all heat and a/c parts are gone, center console is removed, door bars are removed, spare tire and jack are gone, alot of the interior brackets for the rear seats and stuff were drilled out, removed the passenger side airbag, switched to kirkey pro street drag seats, removed the front and rear bumper supports, full tubular suspension, i actually pulled apart the engine bay harness and removed the wiring for the rear o2's egr, air pump removerd abs and traction control, swithced to a pin on sunoco hood. im sure theres more im forgeting i can never remember everything at once lol
Old 03-17-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

mine is pretty gutted. Pulled dash and gutted everything behind it. No air bags. Nothing on motor, no heat/ac, no carpet sway bars, abs, exhaust. Pretty much everything. Havent weighed it yet but im sure its lighter then stock, lol.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Mine is a weekend driver. ABS/TCS/AC are gone, rear seats, front swaybar, washer fluid, some heat shields, dumped ypipe. Thats about as far as im going to go with weight reduction though.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:00 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

im getting started.

last year it weighed 3545 with me in it with my nitrous **** and half tank of gas.

putting a chromoley 6 point in, but im going lightweight carpet, no more back seat, front swaybar, front bumper support, lighter battery, no a/c. eventually some drag wheels and a tubular k-member with a-arms.

im just scared on how loud its going to be with no sound deadener with the lightweight carpet
Old 03-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2001 SS is a weekend driver, I've removed the ABS, A/C, front sway bar, upper panhard bar support, sound deadener, some heat shields, and air pump. I'm thinking about removing the spare tire/jack, front bumper support and rear seats next.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:23 PM
JUICED96Z

Car is a nice Saturday driver/racer. 1000ish miles a year.

I have just got started and pulled the following:

Front sway bar and brackets
HVAC
Carpet (just had a Wolfe Molly 10 point put in so I may leave it out)
AIR pump
Rear seats
Optima red top (old battery took a dump on the way home from getting the cage put in...)

Goig in/out soon:
Race seats with aluminum brackets
Rear seat and rear seat belt brackets
Spare and jack/battery to the back
HVAC wiring and controls
Emmisions
Pro Stars.

Down the road:
Sheetmetal floor
Fiberglass hood
Molly Tubular suspension/chassis
ect ect ect

Car still has factory dash minus the dash bad (last one broke and don't want to spend $100+ for another and just have it break so I am going to put carpet there for now)
Still has pretty much full interior plastic and radio.

As the car sits now it should still be lighter with the cage then what it was when it was stock.

Not a fan of pulling the bumper supports for a street car.... would be bad in a wreck.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Weekend car.

NO...front sway bar, front bumper, rear bumper, spare, jack, rear seats, seat belts, speakers, carpet backing/sound deadener, stock hood, moved battery to rear in sealed box, QA1 shocks/front springs (they're lighter)

Soon BMR K member A arm set up, that's probably where its gonna stop. I'm keeping AC PS PB cause I plan on driving it (and I don't want to hear my wife complain). I may ditch the air bags, as the car now has a 6 point, and 5 point harnesses.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is my daily driver/weekend bracket racing car. It is a 99 Z28, hardtop with cloth interior and stock 16x8 five spokes. The only things I have removed for weight reduction are the rear seats, spare tire & jack, front sway bar, and all of the air conditioning. I have QA1 "R"s up front, a chrome moly torque arm, chrome moly lower control arms, a chrome moly panhard rod, and mild steel boxed subframe connectors. It weighs 3250 with four gallons of 93 octane in it. I still have to remove the front bumper support, replace the hood with a fiberglass one, remove the true duals and go to just mufflers off of the headers, and put on the Convo Pro slicks & skinnies.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

I basicly got the same stuff removed as matt d. Allso the pass. seat, but only on race day.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have most all the Free weight out, and a few of the money weight reductions I am down to around a 3250 raceweight.

Dan
Old 03-19-2007, 07:30 PM
12 Second Club

in street form it weighs 3200 without me in it and about 3/8 tank of gas. Weighed it today. More to go.