Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Day: times, probs, questions, PICS added

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Day: times, probs, questions, PICS added

Over the winter i added and FLP level 4 tranny with 4200 stall yank converter, stage 2 heads, ET drags )instead of ET street) and a line lock. ALL runs were NA because i didnt find out my bottle was empty til i got there
First run i get: 1.60 sixty
7.41 1/8
92.39 mph
11.69 1/4
115.38 mph

i thought ok decent since its my first run in a year. should only get better with a harder launch right? LOL
Second run launch is real hard, wheels come off and when i hit the dash lights flash and i lose gas, but repress the pedal and im moving again, so i just drove at 50 mph down there lol. ILL EXPLAIN THAT LATER.

Third and Fourth run i blew the coolant level sesnor off the radiator and still ran 11.7x's
Finally fixed the metal clip to keep from popping off.

Then i get a couple more 11.7x's in. I couldnt launch greater than 2500 rpm's with a 4200 stall, it would pull forward, WHATS UP WITH THAT?

Then the lights flashed and gas cutoff again. found out that when i was getting real hard launches and BOTH wheels come up that my battery was rotating towards me and contacting the frame shorting it out so i ended up strapping it down.

Next run i used the SHORT BELT. Didnt help my times any and when i got back to the pits i notcied OIL running down the front side of the passenger head Im thinking its my INTAKE GASKET??? Could this be what is causing me to hurt on the top end, i was thinking i should run much better?

Made one more run with an 11.8x pissed me off so i left LOL

Traction was OK. felt i could do a better 60' if i could launch higher but it wont let me get that high in rpm's. burnouts were great with the line lock. sorry NO VIDS OR PICS as i forgot the camera at the house LOL.

Help/comments?

what ya think ill run with a 100 shot? or so

Jerry
Old 05-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: My Day: times, probs, questions...LONG

i dont care what you say...that car ran awesome to me. i know you can do better, but that thing is a monster!
i obviously cant help you, but goodluck

dave
Old 05-10-2003, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the converter is normal. you will not be able to brake stall a converter anywhere near its true stall speed.

build yourself a serious metal battery hold down, not only to fix your problem, but also because this is one of the things tech inspectors check the most.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any insight on how the intake oil leak affected me?
i've heard it causes a vacuum effect??? wondering how much it hurt me.
Jerry
Old 05-10-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

if oils leaking there must be a gasket not sealing 100% somewhere.. i wouldnt spray untill you get that fixed first

but back to the stall.. 2500 is about the max any car will foot stall to before braking loose. You cant stall to 4200 rpms with a 4200 stall lol
Old 05-11-2003, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Err, no oil "should" go past the intake manifold gasket. The lifter valley is sealed, so there is no oiling at the front or rear of the intake. And since the runner areas are 'dry', there should be no oil there either.

Sounds more like a valve cover gasket. Either that, or PCV problems.

-Andrew
Old 05-12-2003, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 05-13-2003, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

haha I had the EXACT same problem with my battery
It is now in the trunk in a battery box with cutoff switch
Old 05-13-2003, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: My Day: times, probs, questions, PICS added

Jerry,
your heads had to be welded around the top of the head because of the nicks and imperfections they came with...it shouldn't be leaking after they were welded but it is still a possibility....check around the valve cover area and add some selant around it to be sure....

I am willing to bet after you get your problems down you should be running anywhere from 11.0-11.3ET with a decent 60ft....that track looks like **** in the pics...I am looking forward to seing some fast times from your car!
Rick
Old 05-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice pics! The converter will stall much higher if you flash it off the line, that is, just idle and stab the gas at launch. This will flash the converter to near stall speed for a harder launch. Only downfall is that you can't "load-up" the suspension. Foot braking will not usually even get you to 3000rpm
Old 05-13-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks, for the tip reckless.

as far as that oil leak. could it be from the shitty pcv system? it was only a couple spots the size of quarters on the front of the head area, looked like it dripped down from top of head/lower intake. and only happened on my last two hard launches. maybe this info will help. im certain its not from the valve covers and almost certain not from the head gasket area.

Jerry