Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

racing/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racing/opinions

I raced my 02 T/A a few weeks ago at grudge night with my co-workers.My T/A has 12,000 miles on it.I was approached by at least four of my co-workers who said i shouldn't be racing a new car...your going to ruin it.They said it can't take that kind of punishment.

I told them an LS1 is designed to run like that.From what i've learned on this board...these motors are very durable.

I hope i'm right.They all think i'm nuts.These guys are not familiar with the LS1.I want to keep racing.I use Mobile 1 synthetic oil and changr it every 3000 mi.

Will i hurt the car?It's stock w/lid and a catback.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Rok
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: racing/opinions

the only thing you have to worry about would be the rear if your a M6, if you an auto you should be fine. That said things do happen at the track and stuff can brake. But if you major concern is your engine, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rok,
I have an A4.How do you think the A4 will hold up? Should i power brake it to like 2500rpm or so to get it to launch.I don't have a stall.This is the first time i've raced an auto trans.

Any advise would be helpfull....new LS1 racer here.
Old 05-16-2003, 01:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,222 Likes on 779 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

As long as you take care of the fluids and maybe upgrade a few items it will last a long time.

I used to mod old cars and frankly it's a lot of fun but you end up spending as much money because you buy a 68 Camaro for $4K and then proceed to put $15K into it. Isn't a 68 Camaro rare ?

You won't be able to footbrake the stock 'verter to 2500 the back tires will be spinning and you will do a burnout at the starting line (been there).

With a converter, trans cooler, drag radials and some other little stuff you can hit 12.4-12.7 no problem with a ragtop.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear what you're saying Prostock.My brother inlaw has 8 years and $40,000.invested in a 56 cadillac vert.and he's still not done. I think my sister is about to divorce his A$$...he lives in his garage.

It's a beautiful car though..red w/white int...continental kit too!

Old 05-16-2003, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Obviously, the more times you take it to the track, the more wear and tear you'll put on the car.

Making passes down the track is a bit more stressful on the car than "normal" driving would be, but like the others said, if you take care of it and maintain it well, you aren't going to run into any major "racing" related problems any time soon.

I think your co-workers are just jealous of your nice new hot-rod!
Old 05-17-2003, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Coach,
I definitely caught everyones attention on race night.These guys are racing old school cars,their mods are for racing...not appearance.

I show up in a slammed T/A vert. w/many coats of Zaino.The guy who beat me with the 69 502 chevelle told me that my car could never run like his because i'm tied to government restraints,emission laws and blah,blah,blah.

I know my T/A is no match for a 502.I also know there is plenty of LS1s that would give him a race he wouldn't forget.
Old 05-17-2003, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

I show up in a slammed T/A vert. w/many coats of Zaino.The guy who beat me with the 69 502 chevelle told me that my car could never run like his because i'm tied to government restraints,emission laws and blah,blah,blah.

I know my T/A is no match for a 502.I also know there is plenty of LS1s that would give him a race he wouldn't forget.
What kind of times was the Chevelle running?
Old 05-17-2003, 02:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,222 Likes on 779 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I was at Byron Dragway a few years ago with my car, and a guy in a 69 Malibu dogged me out for modifying a fairly new car.

I went 11.75@114 and he went 12.4@109mph.

I passed him on the highway as I drove the car home.

Oh and he had open headers.

I went to GLD a year or two ago and ran into my old buddy Herb. Herb has a 69 Camaro SS with a Dart head'd 383ci that runs 11.7@117mph. He was a bit taken aback when I went 11.2@121mph and then drove home.

Put a converter and trans cooler and then watch some jaws drop.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The chevelle ran a 7.4,i ran 8.1.I've been told this is a fast track.He smoked everyones A$$ that night.The only thing that bothers me is when he said my car could never run like his

It sounds like i would benefit more with a purchase of a stall before i do headers,it would be cheaper too.I want to keep the car streetable,i've been hesitant with getting the stall for that reason.
Old 05-17-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Junkie

The chevelle ran a 7.4,i ran 8.1.I've been told this is a fast track.He smoked everyones A$$ that night.The only thing that bothers me is when he said my car could never run like his
It isn't too tough to get a full weight car like yours to click off mid 7's in the 1/8th... Actually, not too tough at all.

A typical heads/cam/converter setup would meet or surpass those numbers easily.

It still amazes me that some folks think these high-tech late model cars are inferior to old-school stuff.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:40 AM
7 Second Club

The vast majority of old muscle I race get stomped.As far as that chevelle with 502 those numbers are weak.Dont sell yourself short on beating the old stuff,with mods it will be easy.I remember going to National Trails for the first time and pulling into the slick car staging lane.A group of chevelles,old camaros guys asked me what it ran I said low 11s hi 10s they bust out laughing,I just smile.After a 10.98 pass I search them out,they acted like the guys in the Dodge hemi pickup commercial,not much too say.I enjoy beating other cars at the track but the overconfident old muscle crowd is a little more satisfying.