Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is better for drag racing?Shorter Chassis Mnt Tq Arm or stock length relocated?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is better for drag racing?Shorter Chassis Mnt Tq Arm or stock length relocated?

As you can see what do you think is better for drag racing and better 60ft? A chassis mount like the spohn or umi or a stock length relocated with one of the relocation kits?? Any input is much appreciated. Thanks

Brian
Old 12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like madmans arm, it's short and hits the tire harder than a stock length arm would.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Longer, ive seen quite a few cars with short tq arms being put on bumpers.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Adjusting the torque arm and intersection has a lot to do with a car wheel standing or not.

Take a 4 link car, the bars are only 18-20" you move the intersection a few holes and put it on the bumper, move the intersection in another spot it hangs the tires 5" and shoots out like a rocket.

Also a lot of FAST stock suspension cars have trouble running really long torque arms and end up going to mid length or shorter styles. Not every car is the same, the length of the torque arm isn't the main factor in a car wheel standing, it's all about how the car is setup.

If you look at all the cars madman has done that have his torque arm that are hauling ***, they are not all on the bumper and 90% are faster than what we race.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

I have a one of custom TQ arm and it's short, on a 1.42 60 ft it maybe just maybe lifted the tires 1-2". I am no expert but I've seen the success that people had locally and just copied it , kinda. Transmission Physicians of Tampa Fl built it for me!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM
8 Second Club

vmax1500 had some custom made long torque arm and ended up switching it out to a shorter BMR. here is the link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...653589&page=15
Old 12-12-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Longer, ive seen quite a few cars with short tq arms being put on bumpers.
Travel limiters are your friend.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

I'm liking the shorter arm better so far. We'll see how i like it when i toss in the 9" and slicks.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

From what I have been told a short torque arm for the 700 hp and less or a longer one if going over 800hp. Depends on what you have availible when leaving the line.

The chassis shop that is building my cage and helping set up the suspension wants me to run a longer torque arm. I have pulled 1.48 60'ft with about 550 hp foot braking it. There was more in it too.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

it seems most recommend a shorter TA

who makes a short TA besides Madman's?
Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Addict

BMR, UMI, Spohn are the more popular ones. Jeg's has one also.

I have the BMR Trac Bar.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Launching!

On my third gen car, I had the stock length relocated arm on my car and it would pull the front tires. Switched to a short style (jegs) and the car wouldn't do it anymore, but it planted the rear tires harder and made the rear end seperate from the body (like it should)

Think about it... You have a long lever (long torque arm) its going to be able to lift the front of the car easier, and putting the mounting point further away from the rear axle means less direct (downward force) on the axle.
With a short arm, you have a shorter lever, which cannot lift the front end as easily, but its relative close location to rear end, means it can apply more direct, downward force.

I think the reason people say they see short torque arm cars going on the bumper is because the folks that spend $700+ on a torque arm such as Madman's have more money in their engines and are simply making enough power to actually put the car on the bumper, and they dont have the suspension tune completely worked out.

My .02
Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take a broom stick and lift it from the nearest end with one hand then repeat it with your hand further out on the stick. The further out you lift the stick the less the effort it takes.

The longer the TA the further forward your placing the lift point and the more the front will want to lift. The more power you have off the line the more you need to move your lift point to the rear of the car so it makes it harder to lift the nose of the car. The shorter the arm the more it will shock the tires at launch also.

This is the way it was explained to me, if im wrong someone will correct me.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Take a broom stick and lift it from the nearest end with one hand then repeat it with your hand further out on the stick. The further out you lift the stick the less the effort it takes.

The longer the TA the further forward your placing the lift point and the more the front will want to lift. The more power you have off the line the more you need to move your lift point to the rear of the car so it makes it harder to lift the nose of the car. The shorter the arm the more it will shock the tires at launch also.

This is the way it was explained to me, if im wrong someone will correct me.
Yep, looks exactly what I said above.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rogue86
Yep, looks exactly what I said above.
lol... yea damn close.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

for some reason these discussions turn to well this guy said........and that guy said thats all wrong, so keep your head down now that you started it lol.
I have a long (stock length) arm, and i can put the car on the bumper at will, i can also do 1.2's in the 60 ft, on the rear tires, the fronts usually wait awhile to come down, i can also foot brake it in the 1.3's . so i am not really positive that confirms anybodys statements or throws them out the window, but thats whats under my car, which by the way is a 3rd gen, but the rear suspension is very close. in any case the torque arm needs to be taken off the trans, thats asking for trouble
Old 12-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Retired Street Racer

I have gone 1.47 60fts on an 8" slick, with 340hp and a UMI trans mounted torque arm. I don't plan on changing it out until it breaks.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by car_fixer
for some reason these discussions turn to well this guy said........and that guy said thats all wrong, so keep your head down now that you started it lol.
Just think of how this site would be affected if we all stopped saying things..
Old 12-13-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
Just think of how this site would be affected if we all stopped saying things..
It would be wonderful if people would stop regurgitating false information that they read on the internet. If they read it online, then it certainly must be accurate. It's almost as annoying as the "which headers should I buy???" and "which cam should I buy???" threads that are breeding like gerbils in the LS1-LS2-LS3-LS6-LS7 PERFORMANCE section.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:21 PM
9 Second Club

hmm, metal image of pukeing gerbil lol. I was saying what happens every time torque arms come up is sometimes um..well crazy at times. not to hijack the thread but i would like to shorten mine, but then everyone will say it will wheely more, so i usually point out that then ladder bar cars should flip over backwards.
regardless of that, there is no one answer that is the best for all cars, and what works one way in freds car might work different in barneys car. most of the aftermarket t/a's are pretty good, and most are stronger than stock. without knowing his car or goals i dont think anyone can tell him the best one, but with enough research i think he can find one that fits his budget and abilities to install.

Quick Reply: Which is better for drag racing?Shorter Chassis Mnt Tq Arm or stock length relocated?