Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Removable Roof Panel cars and Racing. (T-Top)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thoughts on Removable Roof Panel cars and Racing. (T-Top)

Now I believe I understand the problem, and here is what one possible solution could be:

The track officials have a legitimate safety concern with unsecured panels blowing off the cars at high speed. Nobody wants this. Not the car owner, not the track guys who clean up the mess, not the other racers who must wait for cleanup, and not the spectators who could be hit by one.

Removeable parts on cars must be secured. It's a safety thing. How can we make this situation safer for all?

At tech, the car owner should demonstrate a locking device that secures the top(s). The driver shall lock the tops on during tech. If there is no locking device, the car cannot run with the top(s), a circle with a slash through it would be written on the top. If it does have a locking device, a circle gets written on it.

When the car is gets to the front of pregrid, the track official can ask the racer to check the top. He can easily see whether the car is a RRP car or not.

I believe this solution will work for everyone involved and should be easier (and cheaper) to implement than rollbars.

Any thoughts before I fire off a letter to the NHRA?

Old 08-24-2003, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Thoughts on Removable Roof Panel cars and Racing. (T-Top)

Sounds like a good idea to me. I always make sure my t-tops are locked before I go running down the track.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

That sounds like a great idea... quick, easy, and safe for everyone.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a great idea, BUT, I don't think it has anything to do with them all of a sudden wanting us to have a cage in the car. A rollbar wouldn't prevent the tops from flying off.

Like I said, great idea, and one i'd be willing to work with anytime i went to the track.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason they want a rollbar in your car is because with the tops removed, they consider it in the same class as a convertible. Right now, they want you to remove your tops, which forces you into that class.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Whats the point of the circle and circle/slash? I will not be writing anything on my top.

Eric
Old 08-24-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got what you meant after I read the other post about the t-top flying off incident.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats the point of the circle and circle/slash? I will not be writing anything on my top.

Eric
To show the grid guy that your top is proven to be secure and can be run with it in place, or that it is not secure and must be removed prior to racing.

Shoe white comes off my car, but that is a good point. Maybe there is some other way to verify that a top has be checked.

Our other option might be just putting rollbars in the cars and running with the tops off.

Old 08-24-2003, 08:58 PM
7 Second Club

I have a cage in my car certified to 7.50.I'm not concerned about the cage part of the rules as much running down the track with the t-tops out.I hope sensible minds will realize a t-top that is locked will not come out.I can't imagine the aero drag at 150 mph.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Old 08-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I don't think they are asking you to add a cage to your car to keep a T-Top from flying off. Makes no sense. Locking the T-top is common sense.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

If you remove the T-top during a run and the car flips, roll cage or no roll cage your gonna get your hands ground off when they fly out of the cockpit. You can't run with the window down so how could they insist you run with the T-tops off. Dumb. I guess they will want arm restraints too.

We HAVE a keyed locking mechanism. The tech guy makes sure the t-tops are locked and puts a paper sticker over the key hole with his initials. Simple as that. The only way a t-top is flying off if it was not latched properly and locked.

I have a 12 point cage and I'll be danged if I'm going to run without the t-tops. I'll run at IHRA tracks ONLY. Hope they don't follow suit.

Tech guy: Take your t-tops off

Me: I can't, they are locked and I lost the key.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

My car does not have a lock on the top, but if this is their concern I would be more than willing to have a set of bolt together brackets made to replace the factory latches. If this rule happens I guess I'll start petitioning Speedworld in Phoenix to switch to IHRA.

Eric
Old 08-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Restricted User

McRat, yep its a golden idea, but thats the problem. Relies to much on integrity. You check my tops, I run once, head out of the track for a cold brew and decide to tpop the tops, return, put tops on, forget to lock em and run my 10sec run with one top in the wind...who's to blame?

We all know the answer here, and I personally dont know anyone that has ran with their tops unlocked...except myself cuz i forgot to for like 4 mid-11 runs. Lock em and call it good. They arent going to seriously initiate this rule.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

McRat, yep its a golden idea, but thats the problem. Relies to much on integrity. You check my tops, I run once, head out of the track for a cold brew and decide to tpop the tops, return, put tops on, forget to lock em and run my 10sec run with one top in the wind...who's to blame?

We all know the answer here, and I personally dont know anyone that has ran with their tops unlocked...except myself cuz i forgot to for like 4 mid-11 runs. Lock em and call it good. They arent going to seriously initiate this rule.
Thats bogus, if you drink and drive (RACE) at the track you could cause alot more serious accidents than a t-top flying off. That has NOTHING AT ALL to do with the subject. Bogus.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Pat, that's a good idea ... but I like Tom's suggestion of adding an initialled sticker to the lock. If it is removed, then the tech guy (that let's you back in) will see the 'seal' broken and will have you relock the tops and apply another sticker. Same at the staging lane.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

screw nhra lets just race ihra and enjoy life lol
Old 08-29-2003, 07:11 AM
Launching!

If drag is lifting the top there's a simple solution...

Lock the top and tape the seams.

That's the way I do it, they don't budge.