Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

How to tune on a load-bearing dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Default How to tune on a load-bearing dyno?

I have a 98 and HPT, so no real-time tuning for me. I'm running OLSD now, although the stock MAF is installed. Not sure if I'll remove it or upgrade to a 85mm+ MAF. However, the former sponsor shop with the 224xlc favors MAF tunes and I guess that means I'll need to be more involved. What are the steps you follow for a final tune to find the right numbers at all load cells?

Do you some how enter the vehicles weight with driver to emulate road resistance? Since the VE has been street tuned up to 4000RPM and is within a few % pts, then I should see the same differences on the dyno, right? Do I now go through all the VE cells, getting say 50 hits until fuel is only off a few pts? What tables do I need to touch and in which order?

What process do I use to find the right balance of spark and fuel for WOT vs. the ideal balance at non-WOT for drivability? I take it I need to use the HPT VCM controls to move fuel and absolute spark around to see what it likes at each cell, and then write those values down separately for each cell? That seems tedious as hell.