Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NED last Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NED last Sunday?

Anyone here see the Tasca Ford gang up at the track w/a new Mustang Cobra Jet/drag pack car? People tell me that they were clicking off consistent 9.90's w/ stick car. Anyone see this? WJ
Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

I seen the car at Camaro/Firebird day. It was pulling 9.90s.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Tasca drag car....

Marco, did you go over and get a close look at the thing? Full slicks, Drag radials, etc? Any idea what the raceweight is? Those times are killer...and a STICK, no less....WJ
Old 06-20-2009, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

If only times were better could you imagine a new dealership backed clash of Ford/Mopar/GM muscle cars ripping it up at the strip.....
Old 06-20-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BoostedLT5
If only times were better could you imagine a new dealership backed clash of Ford/Mopar/GM muscle cars ripping it up at the strip.....
When I was in my 20's that's JUST the way it was! You could go to a sanctioned New England NHRA track every wknd of the month: Connecticut Dragway, Sanford, Maine, LVD, and Orange, Ma. and see the big Fords, Mopars, the killer Buicks, Olds and Chevys----most all dealer-sponsored cars running for the bragging rights. It was nothing to have a field of 40-50 Superstockers battling it out on a Sun. afternoon at any one of those tracks.....Racefuel was around $2 per gal., as well...it was much easier financially to own a track car back then..... WJ
Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
Marco, did you go over and get a close look at the thing? Full slicks, Drag radials, etc? Any idea what the raceweight is? Those times are killer...and a STICK, no less....WJ
I didnt look over it too much, Just watched it blast out of the hole and rip a 9.90
Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Did a little research last nite and found that the Drag-Pak cars run the A/Stock class in the Stock Eliminator NHRA bracket. Actually one of the early production '08 cars won Stock Eliminator at the '09 Winternationals in Pomona, Cali. back in Feb, but I haven't done further NHRA research yet to see if they've won any other stock eliminator National events so far this season. John Calvert, the guy who owns "Cal-Trac", mfg. of rear traction bar products is the guy who won at the Winternats. He was dialing 10.1-10.0 w/his, and Tasca's is banging out consistent 9.90's, so Tasca must really have their's dialed in. Remember, these cars come pretty much as a factory modded racecar, basically a 500K Cobra motor, supercharged, w/headers, computer tuning race mods, Bogart wheels, skinnies, 9" Goodyear slicks, rollbar, drag rear suspension mods, and more. Supposedly, they're making only 50 for each build year, making them very hard to get....I'm pretty sure Tasca will be running theirs at the big Divison I race at LVD on July 3-5. Supposedly, the Dodge boys have some special edition Charger stuff available for drag racing, and Camaro is supposed to have something special soon available for the racers. IMO, the new Camaro IRS rear sucks if you're a serious drag racer, and unless it's changed back to a straight rear axle, you just won't compete w/the big boys, especially after you start adding some hp and bolt on a good pair of slicks... Seems like GM just can't get that rear axle thing right---first the rubbish 10 bolts in the 4th gen Fbods, then the p.o.s. GTO and 2010 Camaro rears.....Anyway, it should be interesting to see if Chrysler comes back from being "nipples up", if GM can do the same, or will Ford, who didn't take the bail-out $ from the Feds, soon become the new late-model Muscle car 1/4 mile king..... All you need is a pocketfull of $$$ WJ

Last edited by WJ SOM SS; 06-21-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

You can make the IRS in our cars live. The only thing that sucks for us is finding gears as we have to order them from Australia. That shouldnt be an issue with the Camaro. Our stock IRS' have been well into the 9's and even the 8's back in Australia with 1.3 60's in full weight cars.....
Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BoostedLT5
You can make the IRS in our cars live. The only thing that sucks for us is finding gears as we have to order them from Australia. That shouldnt be an issue with the Camaro. Our stock IRS' have been well into the 9's and even the 8's back in Australia with 1.3 60's in full weight cars.....
Time will tell. When someone starts campaigning a few of these cars w/ (IRS rears) seriously on a weekly basis, (not just a few track times per season)--let's say like in a weekly class points program at a track, w/a small amt. of additional horsepower, high rpm stick launches, or hard-hitting converter launches w/3.73's, 4.10's, or even 4.56's, w/slicks-- I'm betting they will be grenading as numerously as the old 10 bolts did.....I'm thinking the majority of serious 1/4 mile guys will be installing conventional straight axle rears (12 bolts or better)for strength AND reliability in place of their IRS rear. Just my opinion....WJ

Last edited by WJ SOM SS; 06-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

We'll see, i have hundreds of passes (250+) on mine in the last 3 years and it is sticking together with 6krpm clutch drops on slicks with 60's in the 1.5-1.60 range at a 3995lb race weight, i am hoping to get the 60's into the 1.4's once i get the new suspension set up later this season. There are kits out there to bolt in a Ford 9", Ford 8.8" and GM 12 bolt center section and still keep the IRS for racing classes that prohibit non factory style suspensions.

I have broken tons of stuff in the process, 4 t56 trannys, twisited the original half shafts, snapped the after market half shafts, and probably stuff i can't remember at this point haha, but i think people will be able to make them work.

Hopefully next year i'll be running with you guys in the CMDR races since i have gotten a little more consistent with the stick shift!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

That would be great. (CMDR) Good luck w/the rest of your season. I'm kind of hoping there will be someone running a well-set-up '010 Camaro at the NHRA Divison 1 race at LVD on July 3-5 so I can see just what they're running for a rear and just what class they will be put in.... WJ
Old 06-22-2009, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WJ SOM SS
When I was in my 20's that's JUST the way it was! You could go to a sanctioned New England NHRA track every wknd of the month: Connecticut Dragway, Sanford, Maine, LVD, and Orange, Ma. and see the big Fords, Mopars, the killer Buicks, Olds and Chevys----most all dealer-sponsored cars running for the bragging rights. It was nothing to have a field of 40-50 Superstockers battling it out on a Sun. afternoon at any one of those tracks.....Racefuel was around $2 per gal., as well...it was much easier financially to own a track car back then..... WJ
Yep ! I remember those days, Too bad there gone.