Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Tunning in CT

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Little off topic but Matt were you the guy who came to my house to buy my high mileage longblock a few months back and we had a little disagreement? If so no hard feelings business is business man. Good luck with everything. Don't waste ur time just go straight to slowhawk, there's a reason he's a sponsor and others arent. Do it right the first time.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

As far as a Trailor just rent a uhaul one theyre pretty cheaP
Old 07-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah man thats me no hard feelings as well, dude all these places in ct are a joke hows your camaro running?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

When I had my LS-1 I drove back / fourth to Don before he opened a shop.(Slowhawk)
As said - well worth the drive. He takes the time to set your car up for you - not just get a power number and take your money.
He even dialed my car in at the track a few passes and it drove home better than my initial tune.
Don came from the f-body crowd, does not look at us as another job to do.
Your tune may be close enough after the cam to drive there - give him a call.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

i live in trumbull ct. it sucks hauling the car all the way up to dons but if you want it done right you have to deal with it.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn! where did all these CT people come from!??? i could count on one hand how many CT guys there were on the board before this thread! lol!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMtechmatt
yeah man thats me no hard feelings as well, dude all these places in ct are a joke hows your camaro running?
yea they all suck. my cars running pretty good got a few little bugs to workout with it but i drive it everyday.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NXPRSS
damn! where did all these CT people come from!??? i could count on one hand how many CT guys there were on the board before this thread! lol!
There are alot of CT people. We tune atleast 1 car a week from CT.Last week we did 3 .
Old 07-25-2012, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I told you we need a slowhawk bus lol
Old 07-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Launching!

The bus would be nice! My car is done and I have the day off.
Just need to find a ride now.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mjs1012
yea they all suck. my cars running pretty good got a few little bugs to workout with it but i drive it everyday.
come by the dealership chevy sometime after 5 man
Old 07-27-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I've dealt with Jannetty on a number of occasions, nice guy, friendly but he is all business and he tuned my LT1 car a number of years ago, paid out the *** and that is what you get.

His main clientel are guys with money who drop a car off and leave a blank check, and when it comes to guys who do not have unlimited funds, he still charges good $$$.

There are other shops in CT and if your looking for 3 pulls, wait for a dyno day or something, cheap, and they may throw in some A/F to give you an idea.

Slowhawk did right by me last year with a bothersome DTC error and I would recommend you see him.
Met Ted a couple times at his rentals and he seems like a good guy. Judging by their facebook posts they seem to tune a LOT of different stuff, Fords, Dodges, a lot of 5th gen's, and corral people from quite a distance. But I had heard they were pushing $1K for their work. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say a bad thing about Slowhawk's work over all these years I've been on tech.

I do miss Eastside, those guys were relatively close by and always treated me great.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
Met Ted a couple times at his rentals and he seems like a good guy. Judging by their facebook posts they seem to tune a LOT of different stuff, Fords, Dodges, a lot of 5th gen's, and corral people from quite a distance. But I had heard they were pushing $1K for their work. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say a bad thing about Slowhawk's work over all these years I've been on tech.

I do miss Eastside, those guys were relatively close by and always treated me great.
Yea Ted and I used to live in the same neighborhood and used his shop back when I had my Chevelle (1999/2000) and with my LT1 383 and current car.

Ted for a few years has been into "pulling" weight in trucks and was getting into fab work, his son for years had a MR2 which he spent tons of time getting that to run fast for the type of turbo on the car. He does a ton of stuff and when down there tons of different cars going through.

I like the guy and never try to say anything bad but I have had him do some jobs and I got a "quote" and by the time he was done and work was done it was double if not triple the cost and I sucked it up and paid as I wanted my car back and when it came to a rear gear swap in my Moser, he got the first call and his quote was 300$ over Eastside and I went there. He got pissed, made me feel bad for it but its like you never felt that it was too much to kill me on the previous job.

- last quick ted story and this was a personal one. My brother had a 92 Notch LX with a 306 and E303 cam and a bread box intake 5 speed. Basically his deal with Ted was with a set of injectors which Ted said he had. Brother bought them through the shop, turns out it was off a customer's car which he was doing work and ted was taking the parts in trade or paying for them or whatever. Turns out the guy wanted to keep them and thus not for sale. But ted has my bro's money and my bro wants the money back and ted did not want to give it back and wanted him to pay more to buy new through the shop and as much as I was not invovled, ted was coming up to me about my brother and I was like that is yours and his deal.

I used to always say good things inspite of the local comments on his pricing but I find it hard now especially since its easy to "make money with the pen" if anyone out there has done service managing you would know what that means and a "blank check" is preferred above all other forms of payment.

The guy is in business for a reason and to cover that overhead he has to make a buck and I get that but sometimes not everyone has unlimited funds if I did, I would probably go to him for most things but again I would getting him to agree on the price before work starts.

Live and Learn

**Last note, I am literally 4 minutes away from Eastside's old shop, def sucks not having that sort of access.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMtechmatt
come by the dealership chevy sometime after 5 man
Ya ill have to stop in one of these days.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Teching In

We appreciate the feedback positive and negative, helps us keep tabs on how we are doing.

We realize we are Not for everyone, just the nature of the business.

Although some of the comments are unjustified, as you probably have never dealt with me personally, usually second or third hand hearsay.

Having been in business for 26 years and dealing with different employees throughout those years has it's challenges.

The Team I have now is Second to none and have been with me for the last 7 years or more.

I can only fix problems I know about, so if you have a problem with me Please contact me directly and I will address your concerns.

I have an open door policy, come by Meet Me, and see for your self ,so you can make your own decisions.

Ted.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Agreed, whatever you do, avoid J&M in manchester like the plague. I wouldnt even let them change the oil on my Jeep.
Do not go to J&M. Guy is a ****** hack and I took it into my own hands to straighten out his hack job. He ripped me off, shoulda gone to Slowhawk.. The more I learn about tuning, and the more I learn about how Don operates, the more I realize he's pretty text-book and reliable with his tunes.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Word of mouth carries far and wide. That is with any business. The stories are out there you just need to ask around and that is with any business.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I still don't understand how J&M is even in business.. they have got to be doing something shady other then working on cars out of that place or something becuase I don't know a single person that's ever gone there, and ever gone back for anything... how they even get anyone in the door is beyond me, you'd think the bad rap would have gotten around by now.

Or, there's just alot of really clueless people out there that just don't know any better, or even know enough to ask around. You do a yahoo search on them, and see what comes up LOL. It's nothing but complaints!
I was at the weekly BK Cruise-in one saturday night and this guy was there with a newer stang and said he was gonna drop it off at J&M to get some work done. I warned him and warned him and warned him and he was still defending the guy. I told him the guy charges astronomical prices and he didn't seem to care.. I just found so much **** wrong with that tune.. Unreal.

Long story short, the guy left the show early, Mike from J&M Showed up after a crowd of J&M bashers gathered (Ears were burning), and I never saw the stang owner again. Maybe his car is no-more.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 07-30-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

^ I've only seen mike there once in the past season and a half I've been going.. And I usually hang out with a couple older guys. Real chill, just sit there and relax and BS all night. It's my release at the end of the week. We occasionally get a couple F-cars that show up (LS) but it just seems like the owners are just looking to find a race. Starting to seem like I don't really get along with the younger LS crowd. Not arguments, I just don't care much for their stories or cocky attitudes.

I'd love to have a track car, but 1: mine's a 6 speed (woudl rpeferr an auto for the track), 2: it's turning into a street car and 3: I'd like to still have a streetable car. Went to the track once in El Paso and ran a low 12, but I was on very old and dried tires, quite inexperienced, altitude of 4300ft, and was still on the stock 10b.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 07-31-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, I've had mine for about ten years now, but only lived in CT for a couple years out of that. Was out west for a while. I just got to one cruise-in now. Shows witht this car are pretty pointless. Bristol show sucks. It's suck a click and I get really tired of the same idiots and the same 68 Camaros and 65 Mustangs. And it seems this area has a massive veiny one for Mustangs. Even the Vatos seem to drool over my stock 06 GTI more than my Camaro.. Maybe they think it's a grand am or something... I dunno.

And I started stripping stuff out of my car years ago, but stopped when I still wanted to cruise it around and wanted it to be comfortable. I'd like to build a dedicated drag car some day, but I can barely afford to mod this one as it is... or replace worn and out dated mods.

Quick Reply: Tunning in CT