Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

ZL1 Wrecked By Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ZL1 Wrecked By Dealer!

A guy from church I'm friends with told me that his father in law bought a new ZL1 that he had custom painted from First State Chevrolet in DE but the paint started peeling so obviously it was a shoddy job so he made arrangements to take it in and have the car repainted.

While the car was at the dealership, one of the service guys, a 37 yr old, not a kid, took his car out for a joy ride and totaled the car. He smashed into a telephone pole, but all the tires popped and the wheels were all bent also so they think the car went airborne during the incident. When OnStar came on they asked if he was ok, using the owners name. And he said yes and when the cops showed up he said he was friends with the owner.

Now if that wasn't bad enough, First State Chevrolet is trying not to cover the replacement of the car. They told my friends father in law that he has insurance so it should be covered under that!!

He talked to a lawyer but by the time the lawyer got their cut it probably wouldn't be worth hiring someone for him. Now his insurance called the dealership and wanted their insurance info and the dealer refused to give out their insurance info to Geico.

They're gonna let me know what happens, but I just wanted to get this story out there about First State Chevrolet in Delaware. Also, the guy who wrecked the car was fired, only to be re-hired a few days later because he came in crying saying he has a girlfriend and a kid and it's close to Christmas...
Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, thats rough. I think I would be calling every radio and tv station and anyone else that would listen to the story.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd tell them to keep the car and file a lawsuit. The dealer will settle because they won't want the publicity of a lawsuit (that they will more than likely lose!).
Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's insane, hate to hear that kinda news. I would be very furious
Old 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

His insurance will probably cover it, then go after the dealership themselves.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 412 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
His insurance will probably cover it, then go after the dealership themselves.
X2

My sister had a Tahoe stolen from the dealer while in there possession for service work.

Onstar wouldn't track the car until the Police were called and a report was filed. They will only track if the police make the call and request it's location. By this time the module has usually been disabled or removed.

Her insurance paid the claim and we assume they had to go after the dealer based on what the agent said.

Funny part was they wouldn't even give her a good enough discount on a new unit. And yes she purchased the original one that was stolen from them.

She took her business elsewhere as there are plenty of dealers willing to give a better discount especially after hearing what happened and knowing she would bring the car in for regular service.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Bump! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153652020830725
Old 12-27-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

He should post that video on Chevrolet's Facebook page. That is bad publicity. That dealership should just be ashamed of themselves for not offering him another ZL1
Old 12-27-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Regular

back in 2006 or so a guy brought in his 02 SS 35th anniversary edition to get his oil changed and "tune up" because it was sitting (only 1,000 miles on the clock) and the service tech dropped the car off the lift and it hit a tool box. owner refused to take the car back and it sat in the lot for a few months. convertible top ended up getting ruined while sitting out there for so long. i never heard what became of it but similar story.

i wouldnt take that ****, if i ended up getting screwed i would find a nice beater to drive right through their showroom floor.

never take your car into a dealership for any service. any idiot can touch your car, techs (usually) dont care about the car. obviously there are your exceptions.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Why does a body shop employee have keys to the gates and doors of the dealership? Kind of beside the point I guess just odd to me.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wonder if power plant is for sale
Old 12-28-2013, 11:23 AM
12 Second Club

this is where owning a tuner can come in handy , set the top speed limiter to 10 mph , tell the service manager you have done this ( preferably via e mail so you have record of it) as there is no need to road test for paint work and that the car is not to leave the lot.

Dealership tools cant change a tune a la carte like aftermarket tuners like hp tuners ,efi live can-they dont want techs having the keys to pandoras box , they could flash a stock or updated tune for that vehicle I guess but at that point they just made their day in court much more difficult since they pre meditated taking your car out to beat on it.

The only time I ever owned a new enough car to be under warranty I still never brought it to the dealer just took care of what it needed which wasnt much , nothing good ever seems to happen there....
Old 12-30-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the link to the video, I just texted him and asked what is going on with the situation.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

That's a definite mess. I wanted to follow along see what happens with this.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:16 PM
11 Second Club

Damn...someone would be getting slapped!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

I would have every news crew I could find on that ****
Old 12-31-2013, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

If I have a problem I can't fix with my car I usually bring it to Race Proven Motorsports right on route 13 New castle. Bill and Fran are awesome guys and keep every car that is being worked on or pending being worked on in the shop and away from any public reach.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Why would the dealer care? When you drop your car off at any dealer YOU assume the risk. If you read the fine print it states that they are going to driving your car on YOUR insurance. That's why If I have to go to a dealer or any repair place I make them write on the repair no driving the car. If it needs a road test then I drive it or I go someplace else.

I had one dealer challenge me on this so I simply told them I'd go someplace else and walked out.

Back on the 1970's I worked at a Chevy dealer as a "TECH" <what a bunch of BS. I was a young dumbass that fucked up peoples cars! I seen so much crap happen while working there NOONE will ever drive my cars alone.

I can tell you story after story and usually the customer took it up the rear.

I'll tell you a few......almost new TA with came in for a bucking problem. I changed the plugs and "TEST DROVE" it<beat the crap out of it. I over heated the front rotors and ruined the brake lining because I was going over 100mph in SOME ELSES car and had to stop fast. The customer took it up the azz on this one and had to pay to fix the brakes.

Brand new corvette comes in for oil change, "TECH"<dumb azz werkin for next to nothing takes corvette out for joy ride and LOSSES it doing a burn out. Knocks down row of mail boxes and damages car badly....YEP YOU GUESSED IT customer takes another azz shot.

I got lots of stories because the BS never ends at a dealership.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Teching In

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/dealer-wre...12-zl1-camaro/
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333504

I would like to get together and write a letter letting GM know our club will be boycotting them until this is resolved, that means no new cars, no used cars, no AC Delco parts. But this won't work unless they get 100's or 1000's of clubs boycotting them, I am gonna post this on several other enthusiast websites and see what kind of response I get or if anyone thinks this is a good idea or pointless. It won't take much time for each club to accomplish, even businesses would be helpful. We know the dealer in Delaware doesn't care what someone in AZ thinks but GM should and social media can spread it world wide, and has to a point, so repost this if u think its worth a shot. We can also copy media outlets and magazines. For those who don't know this car has a base MSRP of $55,000 and approximately 1900 of these were produced out of approximately 90,000 Camaros for 2012 making it very rare. This is a piece of automotive history that has been destroyed and the dealer is only offering to SELL him another lesser car for a discount!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I emailed my best friends dad who is a Service Manager for a GM/Cadillac dealer. His response:

"G.M. has no obligation, dealerships are privately owned. The first thing I would do is contact my insurance so they can go after the dealerships insurance company. All dealerships have a disclaimer for road testing vehicles by authorized personal for testing purposes, since the vehicle has taken from their care, custody and control on a day they were closed and not for test purposes this persons lawyer should have a field day. It’s hard to believe they are being this difficult! I would go after them hard, the person should of first gone to owner or the executive of the company and told him to make it right or I will go to the media; he lost that bargaining chip since the media was already involved, at least to my knowledge. The only legal thing that is required by the dealership is for their insurance to cover the claim. If his attorney thinks there is a civil suit he would know? One thing is for sure I would not buy anything from them!"

Quick Reply: ZL1 Wrecked By Dealer!