Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

anyone know about BMWs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone know about BMWs???

Any of you got any experience with BMWs???
I got a chance to pick up a 2002 BMW 540i for a real deal $12k with 64k on it old man owned and dealer maintained. its mint. Blue book i saw on line is anywhere from 17k-20k
I am thinking of picking this up and maybe flipping it for some cash as im not really a BMW type person but the car is pretty pimp
Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

i worked on a friend's Z3 once. different motor (1.9L I4)... but in general, the parts are unnecessarily expensive.

check out www.bimmerforums.com for some tech info on the cars and find out what the common problems are.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

540i's are really the only BMW I'd ever consider...they're very very very similar to the M5 in that year range and they are nice cars...just be VERY careful that it doesn't have any electrical bugs or climate control issues...cause they might cause you to lose money on the deal if has them...that seems to be the most common problem to see in BMW's.

Is it a stick or an auto? If it's an auto it might be tougher to flip it for a profit as well.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say stay away. BMW is overpriced problems. i have not had good luck working on those.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Launching!

Wife had a 330i for a few years. nice car but very expensive for parts. had to replace front suspension bushings at 48k miles. They try to make you buy the entire control arm assemblies for huge money but you can rebuild them yourself.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

I had a 328i. If I had a problem, I bought used parts. There's a place in Cali called Bavarian Auto Parts or something like that, they sell a lot of used BMW parts.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

A friend of mine had a 2001 540 and it was a very nice quick car. I would say buy it. Not to often you have a chance to get something that is comfortable and fast and at a good price. Is it a 6 speed?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Hey chef, my old boss had a 1999 530i (I know its not the same exact car) but she had nothing but problems with it. She kept on having issues with the electrical system and the rear defroster. She eventually popped the motor at around 80k miles after she blew the head gaskets and kept on driving it. Moral of the story, they have some issues. However, they are pretty pimp when they actually work like they should!

My opinion would be that if the car is clean and in good mechanical shape, pick that bitch up, cruise it for a while and then sell it and make a profit!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

ive owned about 7 BMWs in the past 3 years, and still have one 323i, i lived in germany so i worked on them alot, they arnt bad cars aslong as they are properly maintained, take it out for a spin and see how it feels and if you like it then go ahead and buy it, i dont like 5 series i prefer 3 series
Old 02-18-2008, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
540i's are really the only BMW I'd ever consider...they're very very very similar to the M5 in that year range and they are nice cars...just be VERY careful that it doesn't have any electrical bugs or climate control issues...cause they might cause you to lose money on the deal if has them...that seems to be the most common problem to see in BMW's.

Is it a stick or an auto? If it's an auto it might be tougher to flip it for a profit as well.
This car is totally different from the M5 and really should be confused with anything close to the M5. I had a 2003 540i sport (M Par. wheels, M5 front/rear air dam, beefy exhaust, custom interior and blacked out bright trim). Gave it up about two years ago on lease. Nothing but good things to say about this car!

Car is rather quick, quiet, elegant, subdued - not flashy. Watch out for problems with the alternator/electrical, and suspension. These cars have a tendency of wearing out wheel bearings and alternators. Neither issue is a big problem.

Chef, you might not want to flip the 5er until after the summer. With the sun-roof/windows down in the summer, the 540 is really a fun car to drive. I had a 6 speed, grey/black, sedan. Really a nice well rounded, nicely balanced car.

This is coming from a man who has had a family of BMW's.
1981 320i, 1987 528e, 1997 740IL, 2001 M3, 2003 540i (All purchased new)and my baby now... 1985 528e with 67,000 original miles.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:47 AM

yea i am thinking it would be neat to keep till the summer, its black, sunroof,leather nice wheels etc its a auto though but thats of for a DD

i just figure if i can flip it and make a few grand i can have ken build me a killer motor for the ws6
Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

the only real problem i ever had with a bmw was the damn water pumps, i would blow them like crazy cause the insinde was mad of ******* plastic
Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thechef
Any of you got any experience with BMWs???
I got a chance to pick up a 2002 BMW 540i for a real deal $12k with 64k on it old man owned and dealer maintained. its mint. Blue book i saw on line is anywhere from 17k-20k
I am thinking of picking this up and maybe flipping it for some cash as im not really a BMW type person but the car is pretty pimp
Pretty much like everyone said the major problems are with the electrical and water pump. Some do have suspension problems, it is like every other car they have some issues one way or another. If the car has been dealer maintained then most of the issues might have already been fixed. I have a 2006 325i 6 speed and the thing is a blast, I love it. Much rather drive the TBSS as I have always been a truck guy. When I was over in Germany I got a good taste of the reliability of these vehicles. Drivetrain is solid, motor, tranny, and what not. The only problem that was accurent with them were water pumps. Had 3 people I know that had them go out in the summer when it warmed up. Now these were all mid 80s to early 90s. The only issue I have had with mine was the 1 touch up/down on the drivers window went bad, fixed under warranty. Starting in 2006 they started the free maintenance program that covers pretty much everything. Bought the extended bumper to bumper 6yr/100k mile bumper to bumper warranty and will be keeping it til then and most likely trading it in on another. Hope this helps. Just ask the guy to see the service records and to some research on that model on the internet. Good luck man.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Humvee z28
Just ask the guy to see the service records and to some research on that model on the internet. Good luck man.
If he does not have the records handy (maybe he tossed them?) you can call just about any dealer with the vin and if you talk to the right dealer, you can have them fax you the records. I did this with my current e28 and I was faxed a good 1/8 inch stack of records. The new cars are even easier to obtain records for.