Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

My Pinks All Out Experience (LONG!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Pinks All Out Experience (LONG!!!)

As some of you know I built my car to compete in Pinks All Out. Don aka Slowhawk thrashed on my car the last 3 weeks to get me ready. First off I cannot thank Don enough for all the time and effort he put into getting this car ready for the show.

Wednesday we were ready to do a track rental, and headed up to New England Dragway. I had no seat time in the car and was really going to take advantage of getting used to the car. The other thing was hoping something would break then and we could fix the problem in time for the show.

As we are heading up there we get north of Boston and New England Dragway calls to tell me they canceled the rental due to the bad weather coming in. I was so pissed

I had to make a decision to take the car all the way to NJ or not. I decided why not, this is a chance of a lifetime to possibly be on TV.

We arrive at Etown around 8:30am. It took 2 hours to get registered and finally get into the track. We unloaded and setup our pit. I had to wait 5 hours to be teched in. That was ridiculous!

Finally they call my group to the staging lanes. I get up there and do my first burnout. I stage up and was already expecting the protree. I foot braked the car to around 2500 on the first beam, the car on the side of me broke the first beam so I bumped the 2nd beam. Boom the lights dropped I floor it. I was like ok we hooked but why the **** is this car ******* it. Some reason the car is taking forever to go, oh ****! I'm in 2nd gear. When I launched I had my hand on the shifter and I pulled it into 2nd right off the launch. So finally about the 8th I tap out 2nd and shift 3rd. At this point I was so upset about my run. I figured I probably ran in the 12s. I got my slip and I was surprised to see i had ran a 11.4 with a 1.52 60ft.

I get back to the pits and of course my friends who were expecting a 10 second slip call me to say what the **** happened. I tell them I launched in 2nd and we all agreed the car should run 10s no problem.

Here is where the fun begins. I was ready to go back to the staging lanes and went to start my car. The car makes the nastiest sound I ever heard. **** the starter is bad So we jack the car up and find out that I snapped the starter. ****!!! First thing that pops in my head is ok QTP has a booth here, they gotta have a starter or at least know where to get one. We head over there and meet Rick aka Firehawk441. He tells me theres a pepboys in the area and that if I can't find a starter he'll get me one for tomorrow morning. We exchanged phone numbers and off I went to Pepboys. I really wanted to get the car fixed to make another pass before the next days event. Well to my luck pepboys did not have any starters but there was 1 20 miles away. So i was debating on driving that far when Rick calls me back and says I got a starter for you. He talked to PJ aka N2Ostroker and hes going to bring me one in the morning. At the point I realized another run wasnt going to happen so lets just pack up and head to the hotel.

Next morning on the way to the track I asked my friends to stop at a bank so I can use the ATM. I had fuel for the tow truck,hotel, and a starter to pay for. To my surprise the ATM doesn't allow me to take out any cash. I call my bank and they tell me they shut my debit card off because I had filed a payment fraud on my account . So they sent me a new card in the mail.

Great so now I have no money for the starter and no money to put fuel in the tow rig. And you guys should of seen this tow rig

My buddy says don't worry I'll pay for the starter. I meet Rick as soon as we get to the track and go to town to install the starter. We go to crank it over and bang the same nasty grining sound happens. Now i'm like WTF. So i had a junk battery in the car that we had to keep charging. I had brought a brand new battery with me but of course when we put it in the car its completely dead

We decided to charge the new battery and I take off to goto the drivers meeting. I sat with JL and The Chef and I told him all the bullshit I was going through. Rich comes out and goes over all the rules and whats going to happen. At this point I'm like God please let the car start

We charge the new battery and to my surprise the car reacts the same way. I call Rick to tell him the starter didn't help me out and I must have another problem. He tells me no problem get the starter out and I'll give you your money back. I'm like great that will pay for the fuel

To my surprise my cousin pulls out the starter and this one broke too
I call Rick and ask him to come over, he we are all shocked that this happened again. After looking things over and calling Don back and forth. We agree that its possible fuel is getting in the cylinders and preventing the starter to be able to crank the car over. So we decided to pack it up and head home.

I feel like I let everyone down, and it really bummed me out. 5 of my buddies came with me to make it all happen. I can't thank those guys enough.

I want to thank alot of people for putting in there time and effort into getting this car finished so bare with me and if I forget anyone I am sorry.

Don(slowhawk) he is the man, no ifs ands or buts, you guys have no idea how much work he put into this car. When we get things sorted out this car is going to fly
Danny Reis from Reis Racing
Steve Reis from Reis Racing
Mike Carvalho of Top Dog Racing
Billy from Top Dog Racing
Keith(badpewterZ)
Justin(justins00ss)
Kirk from Kirks Transmission

I'm sure I am forgetting people, and if i did I am sorry

We are coming back better than ever so watch out!
Old 07-27-2008, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im sorry man... that really sux... but at least no one said u didnt try! and im guessing pinks with show up at NED one of these upcoming years...
Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

First off it was nice meeting you. It sucks when you have problems, but it happens with race cars. You were really pressed for time, and there's a # of reasons that what happened could have happened, none which are really anyone's fault.

Get the issues figured out and get some seat time in the car, you'll have that car knocking on mid 10's as soon as you have it sorted out I am sure of it.

Car looks great man, hang in there and you'll get it.

Hey, it could be worse, you could be like me, sitting here waiting for 6 months for a TV show to come on and wonder how much of a chooch you look like because you forgot to turn the bottle on after ya swapped them
Old 07-27-2008, 10:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sorry things didn't work out. Can't say you didn't try. That car is going to fly once you get everything worked out. Nice meeting you and your crew. Stay in touch!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Marco look at this way Pinks will be back in the area next year, you'll get a second shot
Old 07-27-2008, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the props. We just need to work out a few bugs and the car will be great.I'm still surprised it ran a 11.4 without ussing 1st gear.Expecially with the restrictive exhaust and totally wrong converter.

I'll have the car this week and we'll get it sorted.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Race your car!

Please do, there's at least a second if not more left in that car, and Marco's put alot of effort into getting that car to where it is I could tell after talking to him.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

You win some you lose some, have to take the bad with the good sometimes. You put A LOT of effort into making this happen and in the end you still made it there. Sorry to hear of the mishaps. You'll have the car and everything figured out and finished up in no time... and now you're not pressed to get it done.

11.4 launching in 2nd.... Well you know you have a strong car and it will be a beast once it's complete. Don't feel like you let anyone down, this is all a part of racing and we all "know the ropes".

Let's see if we can schedule some time at the track to get a bunch of guys up there for some runs and good times....

All I can say now is Great Job Marco, Don and everyone else that was there to help out!!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow dude, sounds like you really had one of those days... at least your had friends on hand to help you out! it could always have been worse
Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't worry Marco, it'll all come together real soon. Not having a chance to ring out any little bugs a freshly-put-together race car always has at the cancelled rental really hurt. I give you credit to tow all the way to E-town for the Pinks qualifier w/out having any test passes on the car...you'll have a smile on your face from this car real soon. Best wishes. WJ
Old 07-27-2008, 09:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Cars gonna be a beast once the kinks are worked out.

Josh
Old 07-27-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well...Damn well better see you at 1320X at LVD AUG 16-17th.. we need enterants!!! As you know , its a Pink produced event with he grassroots hub-bub and grudge matches too! This is Nate Prichards deal. Spread the word..see you there! www.1320x.com

albanyunderground.net
Old 07-27-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jammer
Well...Damn well better see you at 1320X at LVD AUG 16-17th.. we need enterants!!! As you know , its a Pink produced event with he grassroots hub-bub and grudge matches too! This is Nate Prichards deal. Spread the word..see you there! www.1320x.com

albanyunderground.net
Yeah they handed me a flyer on that, it's a tough weekend for my crew because that happens to be Fun Ford Weekend at NED and they live for that event every year.

We are thinking of bringing our 9 second notchback to that event.

Marco
Old 07-27-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks everyone for the kind words

Believe me we'll be back real soon, only problem is I don't think I can convince Don to goto Memphis now
Old 07-28-2008, 04:51 AM
Race your car!

I would love to grudge race the black mustang that got teh by into the finals this past weekend, just so he could watch my taillights the whole way down the track.

The guy that won, I wouldn't mind catching a race with him too, just to see if I had got there, would he have won, or would he have fallen victim too.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Launching!

Sorry to hear about the bad luck Marco. Im sure you and Don will get all the bugs worked out shortly. Are you gonna run quick street with it this year ?
Old 07-28-2008, 06:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car has a lot of potential. That's what sucks about last minute rushing and no seat time. Sorry to hear about all the problems. You will be ready next time.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

soory to hear about the starter issue marco but once the bugs are tweeaked car will rip

11.4 in 2nd is pretty damn good start though
Old 07-28-2008, 08:16 AM
8 second mod

Marco, sounds like the car is going to rip.
part of racing is the **** that goes with it, you have to take it as it comes. thats why i stopped doing the **** that made it no fun.

as for your problem with the starter, sounds to me to be timming issue i had the same problem on my car a few years back, i had problem after problem i kept searching for fuel leaks checking the tune for start up timming, checking crank sensors checking wiring etc etc, i just couldnt figure it out. finnaly we pulled the motor apart and found my reluctor wheel spun and was throwing off my timming. (this was when everyone thought my crank moving was funny)

but to me it sounds like timming issue, maybe not the reluctor wheel, but either a crank sensor, cam sensor, or somthing in the tune. I now carry a spare starter in my trailor because of this. lol

also, last year when i first started to do my own tunes i had a couple bad kick backs i let out befor it cracked the starter, but it sounded bad. i pulled more timming out during cranking and its all good now. with the high compression you need to pull more timming.

good luck and i hope this info helps you out
Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our plan is for Marco to run the 10.5 class due to the 6 point cage.

As for the problem he is having anything is possible.We had no problems up here with street driving,dynoing ect so something definitely happened down there.The head gaskets might not of liked the high load of 2nd down the whole track or possibly the timing did move.Who knows ,we'll find out soon enough.