Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV
View Poll Results: am i wrong for being a lil upset?
yes ur an asshole and u should of sent the money back right away
3.41%
no, ur not the one who messed up they are. they should be more apologetic...
96.59%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Alright i need everyone's opinion, am i wrong for being a lil upset?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Alright i need everyone's opinion, am i wrong for being a lil upset?

ok yea its long but im kinda upset lol

ok well as many of you know i race the weekly et points series at new england dragway. i am 19 and the majority of the racers are older. some have not really welcomed me with open arms (i think u get it) well on july 6th i raced a gamblers race and was the runner up. i was pretty happy about that. the week later i recieved a check from new england dragway in my name for $165. i was surprised and thrilled, it was my first prize money! i thought it was for runner up, so i put it away in my savings and totally forgot about it. 3 weeks later exactly i recieve a call from new england dragway not asking, but DEMANDING i returned the money to them, explaining how they sent it to the wrong person and that was the winner's money, they also explained how it was totally my fault for not returning it the day i revieved it. (how the hell was i suppose to know???) i explained that i will return it next time i go to the track and asked if i was going to get anything for my inconvience, they said absolutly not and continued to say it was my fault and that i should of sent the money back the day i revieved it. now i just revieved a call today (i havent been to NED yet) from the track manager once again demanding the money and explaining how it was my fault for not sending it back. also he threatened me saying "if you dont bring the money to me by the next time you come up here you cant race" I called the attorny general's office for NH and asked them legally if i was at fault. they explained to me that when i recieved the money if i thought i deserved it (which i did, i thought it was runner up money) then legally it was the track's fault and by law i could keep the money.

I AM NOT GOING TO KEEP THE MONEY. it isnt right, it dosent belong to me. but i really just feel like im getting walked all over by the way the track has been treating me. it isnt my fault they messed up, and now they are just saying its my fault and they are giving me attitude. i would be very happy with a simple "i am sorry about our mistake and ur inconvience and we would appreciate it if u could return the money asap" hell i would drive all the way up their during the week if they were that nice about it...

now am i wrong for being a bit upset? or am i the jerk for not sending the money that i thought i won straight back to them the day i recieved it?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

their error in your favor. don't return the money. you already spoke to the NH attorney general. how were you supposed to know it wasn't for you, espically when the check is in your name?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should return the money, and move on
Old 08-03-2008, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

i am def going to return the money, im not like that... i wouldnt keep it.. i just feel like im getting walked on by them and i hate that feeling... and its really getting me upset
Old 08-03-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly, this is what I would do:

Call the track manager and inform him of who you are, and tell him you have not cashed the check, but have contacted the AG's office and have been told you can legally keep the check if you want. Then, interrupt him (because he is going to start to get upset), and tell him you don't want the money - but you do want an apology for the way you have been talked to/treated throughout the situation. Tell him after you receive the apology, you will being the check to him on your next visit to the track.

Fact is, it was there mistake, and they treated you like a criminal and threatened you too! You have sought legal advice and you can keep the check if you want.

That's what I would do.. I wouldn't give them **** without an apology from the track manager. Maybe try and get some coupons for food/free visits to race too!!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
honestly, this is what I would do:

Call the track manager and inform him of who you are, and tell him you have not cashed the check, but have contacted the AG's office and have been told you can legally keep the check if you want. Then, interrupt him (because he is going to start to get upset), and tell him you don't want the money - but you do want an apology for the way you have been talked to/treated throughout the situation. Tell him after you receive the apology, you will being the check to him on your next visit to the track.

Fact is, it was there mistake, and they treated you like a criminal and threatened you too! You have sought legal advice and you can keep the check if you want.

That's what I would do.. I wouldn't give them **** without an apology from the track manager. Maybe try and get some coupons for food/free visits to race too!!

i think im going to do that but in person...
Old 08-03-2008, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Yea go down there, everyone is tough on the phone. He will probably fold right in front of you.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

they like to push me around cuz im young, i bet if it was a 40 or 50 year old racer they would be all apologetic to him...
Old 08-03-2008, 05:29 PM
9 Second Club

I have never seen a gamblers race that the winning payout was 165.00 I think the track should have some shame for that payout as a winner. I hope there were not more then 15 cars in that gamblers race....

If the track manager was as ignorant as you say? Remeber there are 2 sides to every story... I would demand an apologie before returning the money....
Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had a similiar thing happen to me. this company (who i have never heard of or got stuff from) sent me a package with my name and address on it and since i had ordered a boost gauge 2 days before i thought it was my order so i opened the package to find some spark plugs, a tach and oil pressure gauge for a Cessna. i called them up after realizing it was a mistake and they said UPS would come and pick it up. UPS never came but trying to be a decent person i stayed on them only to get royally bitched at by them for opening the package, etc. they told me to ship it back to them on my dime and they would pay me back so i used the oil pressure gauge for my tractor and gave the plugs to a friend. moral of my long *** story, if you want people to do things you have to be nice to them. you are well in your rights to keep the money, but they probably wont let you back so id give them it back right after they kiss your *** for being such dicks
Old 08-03-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Go to the bank, request $165 in pennies, remove them from the paper rolls and give it to the track manager in a bag. If the guy wants to be a dick head, just give him the money back. Life is too short to worry about being tossed from a points series over a bullshit mistake.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikep2002
I have never seen a gamblers race that the winning payout was 165.00 I think the track should have some shame for that payout as a winner. I hope there were not more then 15 cars in that gamblers race....

If the track manager was as ignorant as you say? Remeber there are 2 sides to every story... I would demand an apologie before returning the money....
lol i know right? thats why i assumed it was runner's up $$ there had to be at least 12 - 15 guys in the gamblers race... $30 extra each racer... about $400?

Originally Posted by Zger
Go to the bank, request $165 in pennies, remove them from the paper rolls and give it to the track manager in a bag. If the guy wants to be a dick head, just give him the money back. Life is too short to worry about being tossed from a points series over a bullshit mistake.
haha thats a good idea but would probably worsen the situation...
Old 08-03-2008, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

im not a bad kid, i kno many of the guys i have met on here can vouch for that... im not a punk,im honest and respectful and i love racing... but i can not let myself be walked on, i just cant
Old 08-03-2008, 06:13 PM

I'd be pissed. The $ is nothing I spend close to that just to go to the track and race for a day or nite. Gas up & back, Food,etc., The problem is the way they handled it. It was their mistake, not yours. If you ever want to ract there again, you do have to give the $ back. I would just call and tell them you will do it on your time, or just send them a check.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM

I'll bet they are holding up paying the winner, because you have the $.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

either way your fucked, you have to bring it back or they will never let you race there again
Old 08-03-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zger
hahahahaha
Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krazy98Z28
either way your fucked, you have to bring it back or they will never let you race there again
exactly! it freakin blows! and where is the closest track other then NED? lebanon valley? 3 hours away? lol they really do have a monoply on the business in this area...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

WTF??? All this for $165????

They are cheap bastards.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Don't you have another track you can go to? The hell w/ them and their track!