Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post build questions

i was looking to see what i could do with a motor that has blown headgaskets its a 1996 lt1 stock motor 120k miles with a t56 tranny so while its apart i was looking to see what i could do with $2000 as far as machining cam kits headers intake tuning and what ever is possible within that price range im not too sure i was going to get longtube headers, ypipe, timing set, hotcam kit ,all gaskets, clean intake manifold

let me know if you have any suggestions on what i should do . product types, good machine shops for a decent price, also a decent place i could get a street/dyno tune

im located in the brookesville springhill florida area west of orlando
feel free to e-mail me anytime @ littlehery005@hotmail.com
Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

If you're going to retain the stock heads I would suggest a CC503 cam, or one with similar specs. LT's, CAI, a tune and some 4.10's will definitely wake it up.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:43 PM
Teching In

why not the hotcam ? like why the cc503 ? whats the difference
Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt waste my time with a hotcam. With a budget like that I would get the block checked. Crank and rods magnafluxed. Install new bearings. Get some speedpro forged pistions with the dome raised .100 With stock heads it should be around 11:1. That will be about 800 bucks. With your budget I would then do some basic porting to the heads and port match it to the intake. Get atleast some roller tip rocker arms NSA 1.6 and a few guideplates. Buy some comp beehive springs with retainers and keepers. Look into a gm847 or a cc306. I usually recommend custom grind BUT you can pick one of those cams up used in good condition for CHEAP. Then find some cheap headers preferably long tubes. Get a LT4 knock module because you will have alot of false knock. Get it tuned and have fun with a budget build
Old 08-31-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Lt4 hc and cc503 limits you. If you dont mind some lope and dont mind reving to 6350-6600 find a gm 847 or a cc306
Old 08-31-2009, 06:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some heads, cam, and a 100 shot and be very happy.

Clutch I am sure everyone is leaving out as well.

Cam kit 500-700 bucks, NOS low 300 used. Heads and hardware 1000. You will have a nice build. Get in touch with one of the sponsors.

You really need to ask yourself a few questions. Will you be daily driving this car? What is your power goals? What is the car inteeded use?- street?-strip? lil bit of both? There is so many different ways you can take a build with 2k.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

I use to have a low 11 sec budget LT1 It was fun waxing cars with alot of money in them
Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Teching In

heres the story behind this build i bought this car not too long ago & i blew my head gaskets .. shitty i know so i drained out a gallon and a half of water before the oil decided to say hello. so i figured why not get some things done while its apart .... so therefore im intending to use this car as a daily but i would like some power behind it i dont intend to spray this car yet so thats not in the equation . im aware that there is countless ways to setup a lt1 budget build so thats why i made this thread to come up with a direction i would like to go .. now the cars going to be used as a daily/street car and occasionally see the track

waxing cars with alot of money in them would be nice around town if somebody decides to be a wise guy lol

i am in need of alot of things so if you have any parts your looking to sell just shoot me a pm and ill let you know

as far as cams go i would like to just get a kit so i dont have to mess around with this and that getting multiple things shipped can get costly and take away from the project in hand
Old 09-01-2009, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Here ya' go http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=22705

I feel if you go with any more cam than this with stock heads it's just a waste, unless you plan on getting some decent heads, then get a monster cam. Of course all of this is just my 2 cents.

Maybe plan on a new opti & water pump, if they're old.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Teching In

yeah thats the cam i was looking at and was gunna have some porting done to my heads cleaned & machined and same with my intake manifold i was gunna have that cleaned and ported then i was gunna get long tube headers a oil pump water pump thermostat and intake and have some sort of tune done then idk what else i can do without goin over the limit cuz the tune must be included in this build budget
Old 09-02-2009, 05:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

before you get to far tearing it apart. take some good quality pics of sensors and wiring for reference, it may help. labeling does'nt hurt either.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Teching In

well im most definitely labeling things and taking pictures is quite the brilliant idea lol

Quick Reply: build questions