Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Did ur insurance company send an agent to check mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did ur insurance company send an agent to check mods?

Car is worth aound 10 grand and invested 15 grand on mods including a supercharger. It's a 96 SS and isn't driveable yet but started thinking about insurance. Called my insurance company and they said they have to send an agent to verify all the mods to give me a new quote. I have no experience what so ever in this and thought to ask you guys.

As many of you out there, I keep my car in a garage, rain/snow is not an option. I understand the more mods the more expensive isurance will be but wanted to ask your opinion about this thing, do you mention every mod, do insurance companies have "special" policies for supercharged cars ? Whatever you can tell me regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated, just trying to do my home work using info from your own experience.

Thank you guys.

Adam
Old 02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my insurance company doesnt have a clue what is done to my car...

2900#'s
fully built ls1 skinnies yada yada yada...

never would know.. if yu wreck it.. pull everything off and put it back to stock, then let em have it.. or buy it back..
Old 02-03-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see, that was another question I wanted to ask, how many of you notify the insurance.
I understand your point, however, what if the wreck was bad enough to destroy most of your mods, then what !!

Last edited by powerhousecamaro; 02-03-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i have full coverage with limited driving. i'm not supposed to drive over 3k a year.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by powerhousecamaro
I see, that was another question I wanted to ask, how many of you notify the insurance.
I understand your point, however, what if the wreck was bad enough to distroy most of your mods, then what !!
if a wreck destroys my heads, cam, intake, etc... im not worried about my car.. im worried about if im going to make it..

thats an honest opinion, not a smart answer.

other than that, i dont know..
Old 02-03-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12
if a wreck destroys my heads, cam, intake, etc... im not worried about my car.. im worried about if im going to make it..

I totally agree with you on that one man, that's above everything ofcourse.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hawk584
i have full coverage with limited driving. i'm not supposed to drive over 3k a year.

Waw, do you keep the mileage within that range? (not that I drive more than that a year on it).
Old 02-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Banned

well when my caddy burnt to the ground. (me not in it) it totally runined the block. fire investagtor est the temp of fire to be around 1200degrees. then fire dept put cold water on it. well hot aluminum and cold water don't mix.

so in this story you would be fine but lost your investment.

after mine is done i will pay for the increase. i fgure if i already got X(a lot of money) amount in to it. what is another 100 or so a month.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Waw, do you keep the mileage within that range? (not that I drive more than that a year on it).
it changes every. every year for my renewal, the paper has a mileage range 0-1500, 0-3000, 0-6000, or something like that. i can't remember. but i check the box that best applies to me, usually i click the one that's closest to 0-3000. StateFarms. i have two cars, the neon is under daily driver and the hawk is the pleasure vehicle
Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hawk584
it changes every. every year for my renewal, the paper has a mileage range 0-1500, 0-3000, 0-6000, or something like that. i can't remember. but i check the box that best applies to me, usually i click the one that's closest to 0-3000. StateFarms. i have two cars, the neon is under daily driver and the hawk is the pleasure vehicle
do they check your mileage?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:34 PM
10 Second Club

You got me wondering about this too now. You may want to contact a company that insures classic and custom cars. I think Haggerty is one I saw on "My Classic Car" once. Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

I went and got my car appraised by a local guy here took him the car and all reciepts. He then wrote up an appraisal for me stating what the car was now worth with all the mods. I went to Hagerty Insurance and now my TA is insured for everything that i have it, plus the car so no worrys for me they told me that if it is totaled, stolen, etc. No questions asked they pay me what the car is worth. Plus my insurance is only $1000 a year. You only have to have a 2003 or newer everyday vehicle. If i went threw another insurance company and just had an estated value then my insurance was going to be $3500 a year.
Not sure if that is what you were looking for but just my .02
Old 02-03-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OneMean01
I went and got my car appraised by a local guy here took him the car and all reciepts. He then wrote up an appraisal for me stating what the car was now worth with all the mods. I went to Hagerty Insurance and now my TA is insured for everything that i have it, plus the car so no worrys for me they told me that if it is totaled, stolen, etc. No questions asked they pay me what the car is worth. Plus my insurance is only $1000 a year. You only have to have a 2003 or newer everyday vehicle. If i went threw another insurance company and just had an estated value then my insurance was going to be $3500 a year.
Not sure if that is what you were looking for but just my .02
Who is that "Local Guy"? Is he a Hagerty agent? Great info and really good to know, not only for me but for other guys here I'm sure.
In this case Hagerty won't insure my car then, since you mentioned it's gotta be a 2003 or newer. Anyone knows about a different company like this. $1000 a year is a heck of a deal for me.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

do they check your mileage?
they don't physically check it's an integrity thing and it's coming up again at the end of this month. if remember right, on the renewal paper work i have to write down how many miles i put on in 2008. write down the current millage and select the box for the 0 to what ever mileage i plan for this year. I think that if i get in a wreck and state farms check the millage and if it is over the max per year i selected they might have the option to not cover me. kinda scary, but i don't drive it that much. there also is a thing called collector car or show car insurance, i can't remember what the limitations are for that.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Last year I just changed insurance companies. I figured I was turning 25 and thought I would see how bad I am going to get raped. I was under my parents plan and on a different vehicle. I was paying about $66 a month for full coverage.

I bought my Trans Am last spring and did the whole insurance shopping. My main driver is a 98 Grand Prix GTP and my other car is a 01 Trans Am WS6. My insurance premiums a month total was $126 or something like that. When I called to take the Trans Am off, my insurance rates only dropped $20 a month. So I am paying $106 a month for the Grand Prix and $20 a month for the WS6. I am not sure how that works but I like it! To top it off, I guess the first minor moving violation won't increase my premiums.

I was expecting to pay about $100 a month for my WS6 alone. I never had to have the insurance guy check out the car. I just gave him the VIN for both and I was on my way.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
Last year I just changed insurance companies. I figured I was turning 25 and thought I would see how bad I am going to get raped. I was under my parents plan and on a different vehicle. I was paying about $66 a month for full coverage.

I bought my Trans Am last spring and did the whole insurance shopping. My main driver is a 98 Grand Prix GTP and my other car is a 01 Trans Am WS6. My insurance premiums a month total was $126 or something like that. When I called to take the Trans Am off, my insurance rates only dropped $20 a month. So I am paying $106 a month for the Grand Prix and $20 a month for the WS6. I am not sure how that works but I like it! To top it off, I guess the first minor moving violation won't increase my premiums.

I was expecting to pay about $100 a month for my WS6 alone. I never had to have the insurance guy check out the car. I just gave him the VIN for both and I was on my way.
I understand, but it seems like you didn't mention any mod to insurance, so if you'd wreck the WS6 (GOD FORBID OFCOURSE) you would only get what the car is worth without the mods. So did you prefer not to report mods to keep insurance low? Just curious.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

I have mine insured for replacement value. Have all reciepts in a file with pics taken at the insurance company of everything I did. They DO NOT condone drag racing, (enter at your own risk). Limited to 3000 miles per season. Under $1000.00 per year. Grundy, announced on My Classic Car, no mileage limits, custom built insurance, very reasonable prices. As a side note, F-Bodies are considered "Sports Cars", and are catagorized D-25 like Vettes, B-mers, etc. I called my regular insurance guy, (who is excellent), and the best deal with my house, shop, 2 trailers, 2 snowmobiles, and 4 cars was $2800.00 per year with a perfect record. Hagerty is $788.00 with flatbed emergency. This is in Michigan. Other states are different. Basically, it's a money thing. If they can insure original cars for hundreds of thousands of dollars and customs for the same, they can insure ours for a measely $20,000.00 + . It's a mind set. They know we DON'T want to wreck our cars, so they will take a chance with a good rate. My daughter's Taurus is $620.00/year. I feel I got a good rate.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My insurance company, just to cover simple mods like rims and exhaust, wanted 10% of the value of the mods every month! In addition to the basic insurance. So you'd basically buy an entire mod set every 10 months. What a raping. I didn't do it.

Jim
Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

I understand, but it seems like you didn't mention any mod to insurance, so if you'd wreck the WS6 (GOD FORBID OFCOURSE) you would only get what the car is worth without the mods. So did you prefer not to report mods to keep insurance low? Just curious.
I didn't report any of the mods. Didn't even consider it. The insurance companies make enough money as it is. I don't get too reckless with my car. I figure somebody will pile into me and that is unfortunate or should it get away from me, it is my fault as is.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Only ERO's
I didn't report any of the mods. Didn't even consider it. The insurance companies make enough money as it is. I don't get too reckless with my car. I figure somebody will pile into me and that is unfortunate or should it get away from me, it is my fault as is.
What company are you under?

Quick Reply: Did ur insurance company send an agent to check mods?