Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Bad oil seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad oil seal

Hey guys heres the deal: my friend and I are installing a rear mount turbo on his Charger (yea yea...I know this isnt the LX forums but they dont know a whole lot over there, and I want another point of view before I talk to the seller of the kit, who happens to be the owner of the company).

We got everything installed and wired and it fired up and looked under the car and we noticed 3 small leaks. Two we fixed quickly: the power steering line that you need to move for this kit, and the oil filter sandwitch plate. The last was a leak we found below the turbo, and after looking over to make sure all the oil lines were secure, we noticed oil coming out of the V-band clamp, and out of the exhaust where it meets the waste gate (pictues below):

Then as we were looking at the oil coming from the V-band and near the wastegate we noticed the oil started dripping from another spot, a little hole drilled in the exhaust right before the mufflers. This was hard to get a picture of, but you can see the drip:

Seconds later we could only watch as oil POURED out of that same little hole in the exhaust. Here are some pictures of the mess after it stopped coming out:

Now were kinda pissed off cause our dyno appointment was Wenesday, we start to take the turbo down and find more oil. On the cold side there is clean brown oil, and on the hotside the oil looks as if it is mixed with gas (its running very rich without a tune). Heres are pics of the turbo after we took the air filter tube and the line to the MBC off...

My phone died, but we took the turbo down and drained the rest of the oil out of it. We took some of the charge pipe down and found oil through all the tubes we took down (luckily when we took the 90 elbow off to the TB it was dry).

My friend bought the kit used, however this kit was from the owner of the company and it was the prototype kit that he had on his car. The kit has some miles on it, but the turbo was refreshed 4,000 miles ago:
As such, I have removed the original prototype CIS 5.7 turbo system from the vehicle. I am offering it for sale at a substantial savings.

The system will be cleaned and refurbished. The turbo was refreshed about 4000 miles ago. The system has been installed and in use for over 31,000 trouble free miles.
LINK to for sale thread

Here are the questions:
1) What would you do in this situation?! This is our first turbo install, but the turbo is obviously getting oil and the pump is working and oil is returning to the motor. I am not sure of anyother way we could have messed this up
2) If we need to have it rebuilt, how much would that roughly cost? My friends dad has had a turbo rebuilt at a local place (Orlando) but doesn't remember the cost.

Sorry for the long write up, Im just trying to figure out what to do next and if this is our fault. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

also curious where all thats coming from as i had about an inch of that clean brown milky oil stuff (looks exactly the same as yours) collecting in the bottom of my intercooler.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might just need to restrict some of the oil going into the turbo. When I did my twin setup on my fox body back a few years ago I had a simiar issue, to restrict the oil I put some nitrous jets in the fitting that went into the oil feed on the turbo to restric how much oil goes into it. Basically if the pressure is really high it might provide more oil than the return can feed back into the motor and it will cause a build up of oil in the turbo and since it has no where to go it will push through the seals.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

If this was a custom build (i.e. not a kit that has been running before and all other kits use the same setup) I would totally understand that it could be getting to much oil and then pushing its way out; but I dont think that is out issue as this kit has been running before without issue.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every motor is different and runs different oil pressure. If the oil pressure for the motor the kit is on now is higher than the other cars it has been on then in theory the higher pressure could push more oil into the turbo. Just a thought.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want tocheck the check valve it could be backwards, and make sure the scavenger pump is running even after the car is started. The relays may click on but sometimes the click off. I just ran a seprate line for mine.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

I took the turbo to a local desiel turbo builder and he said, bacically the only way that it could leak like that is if the turbo is getting more oil than the pump is pushing out, like you said tording99Z28. I know that the pump is on because it is loud as ever, and with this particular kit there is a sort of timer that runs the oil pump for ~30 seconds after you turn the car of to pull oil out of the turbo.

He was going to take it apart and make sure the turbo still looked good inside and hes going to give my friend a call back. Im still confused
Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
Every motor is different and runs different oil pressure. If the oil pressure for the motor the kit is on now is higher than the other cars it has been on then in theory the higher pressure could push more oil into the turbo. Just a thought.
What size N2O jet do you reccomend? I cant think of anything else other than having to much pressure (his car sees 60psi of oil pressure at idle!). The owner of the company said that if everything is routed properly thats the only thing he can think of as well..