Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo timers which ones do you use

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo timers which ones do you use

I am looking to into getting a turbo timer for a 2000 Camaro SS. Was wondering which turbo timers are the best for the Camaro and its ignition system. I have seen a lot of Evo owners using the Greddy turbo timers, but Greddy does not make the harness for the GM cars. So any help in this area would help me out a lot thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RsSean
I am looking to into getting a turbo timer for a 2000 Camaro SS. Was wondering which turbo timers are the best for the Camaro and its ignition system. I have seen a lot of Evo owners using the Greddy turbo timers, but Greddy does not make the harness for the GM cars. So any help in this area would help me out a lot thanks
I haven't really read much about using them on the LS platform. I would imagine if you just let the car idle a few minutes right after a WOT run then you should be ok... If you do a roll race, by the time you are done and have found a place to stop, you "should" be ok
Old 09-21-2009, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Well at the track most of the time after I run, and get the car back to the trailer, I have hurry back to the starting line for the my brother, or dad is running and needs help staging thier cars. So I f could set up a turbo timer I can just let it run and walk away from it and let it cool down if you get where I am coming from.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You just need the pinout for your computer the greddy i have (which was on my evo, then my wrx) didn't come with English instructions anyway so I just figured it out.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you run synthetic almost no reason to run one. Or simply do it manually if you have been in boost normal non or low boost driving also doubt you need them.They were mostly to help with oil coking and don't think synthetic oil cokes up. I have one in my 97 talon though but really think its waste of money .
Old 09-21-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've always used the Apexi "Pen" style turbo timers. Super easy to install. As far as the wire's go:

You tap into the ignition wire twice, one is the "in" feed for the timer, the other is the "out". then there is a 12v constant, ground, and one that taps into your hand brake as a security measure. It kills the motor if the hand brake is released. Plus you can find them on ebay for $99 all day long
Old 09-21-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

save your money for something useful.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

unless you plan on making boost in your driveway then you dont need one.
your car came from the factory N/A with around 300hp, evo's and wrx's came with turbos to get those small motors to make 300hp.
most factory turbo cars have undersized exhaust wheels so they spool up quicker, but that creates more backpressure, the power drops off sooner, and more heat gets put into the turbo because of the restriction do to the small exhaust wheel
this is why many people put turbo timers on there cars
Old 09-22-2009, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS
You just need the pinout for your computer the greddy i have (which was on my evo, then my wrx) didn't come with English instructions anyway so I just figured it out.
Originally Posted by The Beast
I've always used the Apexi "Pen" style turbo timers. Super easy to install. As far as the wire's go:

You tap into the ignition wire twice, one is the "in" feed for the timer, the other is the "out". then there is a 12v constant, ground, and one that taps into your hand brake as a security measure. It kills the motor if the hand brake is released. Plus you can find them on ebay for $99 all day long
Thanks I will look it to this. Super slow do you have any pics of the install? Just wondering.

Quick Reply: Turbo timers which ones do you use