Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

T67 gave out on dyno...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T67 gave out on dyno...

I was getting a tune earlier today (Jeremy Formato) and after a few pulls on the dyno, the T67 turbo (Garret) on my rear mount kit gave out. Here is how it went down: after adjusting the boost controller, we couldn't get more than 8 psi, with an 11.5 psi spring in the wastegate. Jeremy said the dyno's were weird, very good A/F across the entire RPM range with plenty of fuel left to play with. The top end felt "shaky", boost was fluttering between 7 and 8 psi. The timing was a safe 18* on my fully built 370 8.7:1. The last pull made NO boost, when the car went WOT, it stayed in vacuum and RPMs did not climb. Blue smoke and the smell of burnt oil quickly followed the last pull. After it cooled down, we check the compressor housing and tried to spin the wheel and it just wouldn't spin much and compressor wheel is contacting something as it tries to spins.

So I'm here trying to stay optimistic by thinking ( woot! time for a bigger turbo!) but the reality is I'm kind of down. I recently spent 8 months not being able to drive due to a blown motor. I saved money like hell for many months, bought a new forged motor, finally got to break it in and try to tune and the turbo gives out. Haven't been able to go WOT in over a year now.

Looking to save money like hell again to buy a new turbo with a warranty. Any sponsors with sympathy want to help me out with a Christmas discount on a new Turbonetics TC78 or a similar T4, you would be my hero. I'm fucked, instead of buying my family Christmas presents, I have to save every penny I can just to be able to get my car back on the road, and feel like a douche on Xmas when I receive gifts and I can't afford a gift for anyone.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks for sure man. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. I smoked my forged motor after breaking a valve and built a bigger one. Then I smoked the transmission. Then I smoked the clutch. It never ends. Hang in there bro. You'll get your boost one day. Hopefully It'll come along with a Porsche kill where the driver is an arrogant ***** trying to show off to his girlfriend.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel your pain you wouldn't believe the hell I went through with my car and now I am forced to do a 4L80 install now because my 60 took a dive on my so now 2.5grand later here I am getting it built. Now I just need someone to donate a 12 bolt and I will be set.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by omore001
I was getting a tune earlier today (Jeremy Formato) and after a few pulls on the dyno, the T67 turbo (Garret) on my rear mount kit gave out. Here is how it went down: after adjusting the boost controller, we couldn't get more than 8 psi, with an 11.5 psi spring in the wastegate. Jeremy said the dyno's were weird, very good A/F across the entire RPM range with plenty of fuel left to play with. The top end felt "shaky", boost was fluttering between 7 and 8 psi. The timing was a safe 18* on my fully built 370 8.7:1. The last pull made NO boost, when the car went WOT, it stayed in vacuum and RPMs did not climb. Blue smoke and the smell of burnt oil quickly followed the last pull. After it cooled down, we check the compressor housing and tried to spin the wheel and it just wouldn't spin much and compressor wheel is contacting something as it tries to spins.

So I'm here trying to stay optimistic by thinking ( woot! time for a bigger turbo!) but the reality is I'm kind of down. I recently spent 8 months not being able to drive due to a blown motor. I saved money like hell for many months, bought a new forged motor, finally got to break it in and try to tune and the turbo gives out. Haven't been able to go WOT in over a year now.

Looking to save money like hell again to buy a new turbo with a warranty. Any sponsors with sympathy want to help me out with a Christmas discount on a new Turbonetics TC78 or a similar T4, you would be my hero. I'm fucked, instead of buying my family Christmas presents, I have to save every penny I can just to be able to get my car back on the road, and feel like a douche on Xmas when I receive gifts and I can't afford a gift for anyone.

Call us on Monday. We are closed till then, but I'm sure we can get you squared away. Turbonetics is also closed till Monday as well.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can come WOT my car if it make you feel better!!! Sorry for the setback, but atleast you didnt granade it and suck something in!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

I learned this lesson long ago. Thats why I have 2 cars now, the $500 daily beater pickup and the project car! Good luck with your car!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

I lost a T67 this summer. Sheared the shaft.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you really got to go broke befor christmas to spend money on your car, I would recommend telling everyone else not to get you a gift for christmas cause you dont have the money. OR do what I would do since my family knows I like presents for my car, have them get the turbo for you DUH!!! would make a good christmas present from the family.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
If you really got to go broke befor christmas to spend money on your car, I would recommend telling everyone else not to get you a gift for christmas cause you dont have the money. OR do what I would do since my family knows I like presents for my car, have them get the turbo for you DUH!!! would make a good christmas present from the family.
I can't ask of my family to get me the turbo as a gift, way too much to ask for although I know they would want to help me partially, thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted by mike13

I lost a T67 this summer. Sheared the shaft.
I bet mine will look the same when I take it down...

Originally Posted by Otto-813
I learned this lesson long ago. Thats why I have 2 cars now, the $500 daily beater pickup and the project car! Good luck with your car!
I need a beater, my 2nd vehicle is a borrowed vehicle from someone close who owns 3 vehicles.

Originally Posted by 06colorado
You can come WOT my car if it make you feel better!!! Sorry for the setback, but at least you didn't granade it and suck something in!!!
LoL! Thanks for the cheer up, I think two more months without WOT will be a breeze after a year.

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Call us on Monday. We are closed till then, but I'm sure we can get you squared away. Turbonetics is also closed till Monday as well.
DrTurbo, you're the man! You will be hearing from me real soon.

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
I feel your pain you wouldn't believe the hell I went through with my car and now I am forced to do a 4L80 install now because my 60 took a dive on my so now 2.5grand later here I am getting it built. Now I just need someone to donate a 12 bolt and I will be set.
I feel for you, I'm scared shitless that the 4L60E in mine will crap out on me (even though mine is "upgraded"). Stay on street tires till you find the 12 bolt/ 9".

Originally Posted by BLOWNBLUEZ06
Sucks for sure man. Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. I smoked my forged motor after breaking a valve and built a bigger one. Then I smoked the transmission. Then I smoked the clutch. It never ends. Hang in there bro. You'll get your boost one day. Hopefully It'll come along with a Porsche kill where the driver is an arrogant ***** trying to show off to his girlfriend.
I would shed tears if my forged motor were to give out. You are the man for doing the motor all over again and the transmission.

Last edited by omore001; 11-24-2009 at 10:55 PM.