Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Part Gen-TT, mostly custom, Part APS knock-off TT build :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Part Gen-TT, mostly custom, Part APS knock-off TT build :)

I couldn't really think of a better title to represent this build but that about sums it up.

I decided to purchase a Gen-TT kit and after getting started installing it, realized I was in WAY over my head for starters, and that those turbos were going to be really freakin' low to the ground. I then decided if I had to do custom stuff anyway, I wanted several things from this build and didn't really want to sacrifice. I wanted to keep my foglights, I wasn't going to lose my front bumper support or foam, and I wanted an IC like the APS one.

I started on the kit myself and didn't quite realize the undertaking or what I was getting myself into. I got the old headers off and the new manifolds from the kit put on and then put on the midpipes the turbos mounted to. OK, easy enough...let's mount the turbos. So, I go to get the oil drain fittings to put on the turbos and realize the kit came with the wrong ones! OK, first major snag. I get on ebay and order some. They come in and I get those put on and the turbos are mounted. I then went to tap the oil feed and they say to use a xx size BPT tap. I think ok sure, and run down to my local ACE hardware and look up that tap and apparently nobody sells a british pipe thread tap! Damnit! OK second big snag. I ordered the oil feed fitting and put it in and got all my oil feed lines run to the turbos. I ran the wiring harness for the oil pump down next to the trans where the pump was going to mount and had to solder the connector on one side of the harness. That wasn't a big deal. Now I decided I'd look at the intercooler. After pulling the front bumper off that's about the point I realized I wasn't willing to lose that front support and I had to get some outside help. I called up a local shop (Morgan Performance Fabrication) and told him what I needed to do and got a price. I loaded the car up on a trailer and brought it up there. He made me a custom APS-style intercooler and he didn't like the idea of the piping running under the k-member to the front of the car so he redid all the charge pipes also. Those particular turbos were internal WGs but we decided to convert to 2 TiAL 38mm wastegates and he welded the others shut. Then, I got word that the BOVs that came with the kit didn't hold pressure very well and we decided to go with a single TiAL BOV also. With those three items alone the build got a lot more expensive. He didn't want to make the neck of the IC thin enough to fit between the radiator and the support so he notched the support then welded a piece in to reinforce the section he cut out. This allowed him to use round pipe right off the IC up to the intake. So, I guess it's time for some pictures....

This is the IC finished...

This is the IC mocked up...

This is the IC mounted...

IC top tank...

Here's what was done with the support...

Here's some shots of the piping/WG/Turbos from the bottom...

WG piping...

Top inlet piping...

Here's some info on the current setup
Stock Bottom End
226/226 581/581 114LSA cam
42lb injectors (60s waiting to be installed)
Gen-TT kit with "upgraded turbos"
SPEK Electronic Boost Controller (about to be installed)
SPEK fuel pressure gauge (about to be installed)
LC-1 digital pod gauge (about to be installed)

One of the few PROs from this particular kit was it came with the Weldon oil pump. The guy who did my work said the welds and piping also looked good but it just was too low to the ground running under the K-member. I have a UMI roadrace version K-member so I'm sure that didn't make the piping any easier.

When I picked it up I had problems with it smoking like a train. We decided there needed to be a smaller restrictor in the feed line and once that was installed the bad smoke went away. I still think a little oil is in the exhaust but hopefully it'll all burn out soon. I got started tuning it today and still have a little bit to go before it goes on the dyno. I might be blowing out the spark also becuase under boost it feels like it misses every now and then. I think I gapped the plugs in the mid 30s and they're TR6IX. I'm only planning on running enough boost to make 500-550 rwhp for now until I get another motor built for it. The jury is also still out on these turbos. I hope they last because they're not a well-known brand but they are basically twin 60s.

So, I'll report back after dyno time hopefully with some good news!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK I'll shrink those big ones down tomorrow....it's getting late!

Last edited by WS6 GreeN; 12-07-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Very nice setup, good luck with the rest of your journey
Old 12-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Banned

WoW that looks really good. Im talking a college welding class. i hope to one day be that amazing at TIG. Good job!
Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

VERY NICE AND IMPRESSIVE !look like your definatly going to need a scavange pump on that baby LOL Looks like those drains are pretty darn close to being past the very bottom of your oil pan, huh?
Not that it matters LOL even the APS 's still need em as they were still located to low to drain properly Heres how i did my scavanging can and pump can just incase you didnt get that far yet ,,,,which im sure you are LOL
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...20pump%20pics/

Last edited by barnat; 12-08-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:22 PM
9 Second Club

great build!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here are a few quick vids we took. It was dark and cold so I'll get more during the day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V916d3JAvvc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKIYnNA5frw
Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did walker do the work? Looks good!!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

how low are those turbos sitting? I wouldnt want that as my lowest point unless this is a pure track car..
Old 12-11-2009, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

Yep, missed it, walker is one of the best fabricators I have ever seen, definitely a man with talent! I want to ride his 250 cc turbo motard
Old 12-15-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The turbos are lower than I would like. I may see if we can get them another couple inches up. I'll take a picture of clearance.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Awsome work!!! Set up looks really nice. I've heard that Walker does really nice work.

Quick Reply: Part Gen-TT, mostly custom, Part APS knock-off TT build :)