Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cheap turbo build??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question cheap turbo build??

can I do a turbo kit for around $2000? I already have a walbro 255 in tank, 36lb @ 2bar cobra injectors, i can get FP and boost gauges for $20, and was looking at a t-70 turbonetics new for ~$600. I want to keep my a/c and was thinking of puting the turbo in the battery location. also couldnt I run the driver side pipe infront of the engine instead of under or around the back, etc?
Old 07-03-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yes its possible, If you can make all your own exhaust stuff and do everything yourself. The 36# injectors wont get you very far though....they are damn near stock.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

they are 36lb at 2 bar, I think they should be around 45lb at my FP. does anyone know the best way to route hot side to keep a/c and best place to mount turbo?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 PM
8 Second Club

you will need a bmr turbo k member and the c6/truck manifolds to keep the ac. i just finished my build and had it tuned yesterday. i have about 4k in it, and thats with buying some used parts. paid 1k for the new turbonetics tc78 i had a friend that owns an exhaust shop build my hot side parts. the 36lb injectors wont do it.

you could also pick up one of the flea bay kits. it will keep ac.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not buy a cheap MIG welder or spend a little more and buy a TIG set up and make your own? I ordered a hot and cold side from KYTP. I also ordered my own TIG machine, I'm going to teach myself to make my own manifolds and turbo parts
Old 07-03-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
why not buy a cheap MIG welder or spend a little more and buy a TIG set up and make your own? I ordered a hot and cold side from KYTP. I also ordered my own TIG machine, I'm going to teach myself to make my own manifolds and turbo parts

I was thinking of that. I was also thinking of buying the one on flebay and fitting that. I have access to a NASCAR race shop and could do that, but I wouldnt be able to get my car in there just the piping and would have to mock and fit it out in the parking lot.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

I agree learn something wile your doing it! i rather pay twice as much to buy the tools and learn something then pay someone to make it for you!
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 PM
Banned

I was just talking about teaching myself to weld, with a friend the other day, lol. A buddy of mine has a Gassless TIG (electric) - I think it's a TIG, it has the wire coming form the tip of the gun - and I asked to borrow it for this very reason, if not others.

BTW - Another buddy of mine that can roll nickels with a welder (ie; clean weld) said that the gassless leave a messier bead if you do not know what your doing, he said there is a lot of spatter. So if I were to buy one, I guess from what he said, that would lead me to purchasing a gas TIG. -FWIW

DM
Old 07-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Well sometimes lerning cost more then just paying others to do work. well for $3,700 you well have a complete turbo kit. with no hidden fees . build your own kit will cost a ton if you mess up and buy the wroung part. then need to ctorsbuy the right part with less money.

also i hope you can trade the 36lbs injectors out for something bigger. you will need 60 or 80lbs injectors. You can pick up some 06 or 80 HI Z injectors for $400/ the last thing you want to do is run out of fuel!

www.ky-turbo.com

Standard A/C delete 6.0L manifold Setups

The standard Street/Strip:

TC76 Turbo Setup:
-6.0L Manifolds
-Mild Steel 2.5” Charge Pipes with a T4 Flange and Integrated Waste Gate mount and narrow band O2 bungs
-Mild Steel 3” Down Pipe with a Wide band O2 bung run over the k-member
-Turbonetics TC76mm Turbo
-TurboSmart 38mm Waste Gate
-TurboSmart Blow Off Valve
-Front Mount Intercooler 31”x12”x4”
-Stainless steel 3” Intercooler Pipes with Integrated BOV mount
-4 Ply Silicone Couplings
-T-Bolt Clamps
$3700 + Shipping

Options:
-Alternator Relocation Bracket $125
-Oil Feed and Drain lines $110
-Pusher Fan setup $250
-Aftermarket Radiator $250

-TC78 Turbo + $150
-Stainless Steel Pipes + $400
Old 07-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Teching In

There is a few nice kits out there . that come wih everything you need. That way you can get everything you need sent to you ina box. install in and go. It may seem like a lot of money but you save your self time. Also dont forget paying for parts you mess up.

Last edited by camaroe3; 07-05-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor
I was just talking about teaching myself to weld, with a friend the other day, lol. A buddy of mine has a Gassless TIG (electric) - I think it's a TIG, it has the wire coming form the tip of the gun - and I asked to borrow it for this very reason, if not others.
Thats probably a MIG since it has wire coming from the gun. tig has a tungsten rod that isnt comsumable. gasless is not the way to go. it leaves crappy contaminated welds. I do have access to MIG, TIG, ARC, and oxy. Also a tubing bender but it only bends up to 2 in. theres also various breaks, shrinker-stretchers, bead rollers, english wheels, etc. I go to NTI. I could weld up the tubing, but I can have my car in the shop. I already know how to mig, tig.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Devils Mentor

BTW - Another buddy of mine that can roll nickels with a welder (ie; clean weld) said that the gassless leave a messier bead if you do not know what your doing, he said there is a lot of spatter. So if I were to buy one, I guess from what he said, that would lead me to purchasing a gas TIG. -FWIW

DM

if you have wire coming from the end of the gun its a mig welder.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroe3
Well sometimes lerning cost more then just paying others to do work. well for $3,700 you well have a complete turbo kit. with no hidden fees . build your own kit will cost a ton if you mess up and buy the wroung part. then need to ctorsbuy the right part with less money.

also i hope you can trade the 36lbs injectors out for something bigger. you will need 60 or 80lbs injectors. You can pick up some 06 or 80 HI Z injectors for $400/ the last thing you want to do is run out of fuel!

www.ky-turbo.com

Standard A/C delete 6.0L manifold Setups

The standard Street/Strip:

TC76 Turbo Setup:
-6.0L Manifolds
-Mild Steel 2.5” Charge Pipes with a T4 Flange and Integrated Waste Gate mount and narrow band O2 bungs
-Mild Steel 3” Down Pipe with a Wide band O2 bung run over the k-member
-Turbonetics TC76mm Turbo
-TurboSmart 38mm Waste Gate
-TurboSmart Blow Off Valve
-Front Mount Intercooler 31”x12”x4”
-Stainless steel 3” Intercooler Pipes with Integrated BOV mount
-4 Ply Silicone Couplings
-T-Bolt Clamps
$3700 + Shipping

Options:
-Alternator Relocation Bracket $125
-Oil Feed and Drain lines $110
-Pusher Fan setup $250
-Aftermarket Radiator $250

-TC78 Turbo + $150
-Stainless Steel Pipes + $400
Not necessarily. If you buy some cheap metal and teach yourself how to penetrate correctly for that specific thickness on the metal, you would be ready to go when you got the real project parts started. I bought myself a "cheap" TIG welder and I'm just going to teach myself to do mild and aluminum
Old 07-04-2009, 03:26 AM
TECH Addict

buy a 600. turbo, buy a 350. wastegate, injectors New Era performance on here is way cheaper than 400. for 60# injectors. He price matched the ones on ebay for me.
Everything else can be bought cheap. A stock BOV off a DMS car is like $30 on ebay....they work. The rest of it is no rocket science. Put the exhaust from the engine into the turbo. I wouldnt worry about restrictiveness, seeing that you cramming all those exh ports into a small 2"x3" flange anyway.....the "forced" induction kind of takes over. Sounds like you got access to everything you need. MIG welder will work fine, if you can mig weld good, its just as good as 90% of people TIG welding on here, if not better. Buying a "kit" is a joke for me I think. All you do is pay like $2k more just because someone gathered the parts for you and put them all together.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Do yourself a favor and read this: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...induction.html
Old 07-05-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Reckless
Thats good if your not capable of doing anything to your car besides putting gas in it.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

if you know the future then you already know how much you will spend
Old 07-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

Red face

Originally Posted by IKnowtheFuture
Thats probably a MIG since it has wire coming from the gun. tig has a tungsten rod that isnt comsumable. gasless is not the way to go. it leaves crappy contaminated welds. I do have access to MIG, TIG, ARC, and oxy. Also a tubing bender but it only bends up to 2 in. theres also various breaks, shrinker-stretchers, bead rollers, english wheels, etc. I go to NTI. I could weld up the tubing, but I can have my car in the shop. I already know how to mig, tig.
Originally Posted by 73 nova guy
if you have wire coming from the end of the gun its a mig welder.

lol, Yeah I told you I knew nothing about welding, lol... Thanks for correcting me guys

DM
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cheap turbo build

cheap turbo build is not real. It is about the same as "horny wife" lol
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ta02zx10r
cheap turbo build is not real. It is about the same as "horny wife" lol
The attractivness your wife has to you has nothing to do with this thread

On the other hand there are quite a few people with cheap turbo builds that work and are very reliable. And for people that have the resources and abilities, there is no reason for them to spend thousands extra on a kit....unless they want to. Some people pay $50 for an oil change on their car, if you know how and have the tools you can do the same for like $15.
Would doing it yourself the cheaper way with the same oil/filter make your car junk? Or "cheap"? No. But for someone with zero knowledge they have the fear that since they didnt pay a lot.....they didnt get a lot.
Thats a very poor way to look at anything.... Unless were talking about thee wife forementioned.. That could very well be true with that... the more money you give her the more you might get.

Quick Reply: cheap turbo build??