Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TTi driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TTi driving impressions

I just finished my 50 min 42 mile very windy (wine'de) commute...the fog left a lot of humidity on the road in certain places, so I had to be careful...I am in shock at how smooth the car runs and the way the Turbo power comes in..its unbelievable..I know now what all the hype is when the Turbo crowd has oooohhh'd and awwwwhhdd about their Turbo setup. The hi price tags have really kept alot of the fun out of many vette owners financial ability to own a TT Vette. Did I forget to mention that my clutch slips after PEAK TQ/HP and still is recording 590/709 rwhp/tq.....if you chart the graph it records approximately 620/730 rwhp/rwtq...I need the McGleod clutch but I am not even worried about that now because I am not running the Boost Controller (requires 104 ocatane for hi setting 16.5lbs)...so with the Base Boost setting of 12lbs (91 octane 530/560 rear hp/tq) the tires are still useless except for 4th gear roll ons..but the nice thing is that the power is very easily controlled and I can't believe how quiet the car is even with Borla Stingers the Turbos really absorb alot of resonance..and they are very quiet....I only hear the HKS BOV's between shifts and then exhaust as the RPMS go up....the rpms go up faster than the tach can move....(not that our tachs are that great) nevertheless I need a shift light..

The problem now is my wife has driven the car..and what a huge mistake that was..because now she wants to drive it...she never used to ask..now I am making up excuses to come up with reasons why she shouldn't drive it...but she ain't buying it..so I am letting her drive it tomorrow...I hope it rains...then all bets are off.

Its ok I can drive one of the Birds! But now I want to Turbo charge one of my 91 FBodies.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats!..

I think we need a ride along video in this beast..!!
Old 12-22-2003, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by MoNkEyZQ8
Congrats!..

I think we need a ride along video in this beast..!!
Sorry bud...all I have is the dyno run now that made over 600/700 rwhp/rwtq..click on link
http://www.xmsengineering.com/media/SheridanTT1.wmv

I should get some runs in at the track in the spring.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

What are your engine mods? Nice #'s!!

- Dug
Old 12-22-2003, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sweet Can I drive it?
Old 12-22-2003, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,110 Likes on 728 Posts

Whose kit do you have?

What size turbos?
Old 12-22-2003, 02:38 PM

Here is my setup there are some things that could be done to improve it that I will mention.
347 Cid (3.905 bore size) Compression Ratio 9.68:1
Stock Crank
6.125" Lunati Pro Billet Rods
Diamond Forged Pistons (-2cc valve reliefs)
LPE Oil Pump
ARP Head Stud Kit
SLP Double Roller Timing Chain
Comp Xer 224/224 .581/.581 114 lsa cam
Comp Chromoly Pushrods
LS6 Stage II 2.02/1.57 (72cc) Heads (REV 1116 Valve Springs)
2002 MLS Gaskets
SPEC Stage IV Clutch
Ron Davis Radiator
Oil Cooler
Custom TTi Turbo Kit...I believe to be in production. (Single I/C, Bigger Turbos)
Greddy Boost Controller
Valve Cover Breather
Borla Stingers
LPE Fuel Pump
50lb injectors

If I had to do it over again
Motor (build up)
I would have probably used more dish on the pistons....like a -8cc dish. However when the new AFR heads come out they will have 76cc which would effectively drop my CR down to 9.29:1. So those with -2cc forged pistons already could opt for these new heads if they wanted a Turbo setup..or just use a 72cc head. More timing could be added to my setup if they were 1/2 (.5) a compression point down.

Cam (choice)
Also I would consider a reverse split pattern cam on a tighter LSA like a 115 or 117. I don't think I would make a whole lot more hp but I think it might help with reversion..which would smooth out the boost a little more...but it was not worth changing the cam for to me...if I decide to go to the AFR 76cc heads then I will probably switch out the cam when I have it apart.

[Modified by Shinobi'sZ, 9:43 PM 12/12/2003]
Old 12-22-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad to hear it! Sorry about the spousal take-over. PSJ.... Thats one fugly Avaitar
Old 12-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Turbo Addict

good to hear..... and very nice car!

I am running a reverse split cam... i got it because i thought it would be a good turbo cam..a little aggressive but better than the hotcam the car had in it when i bought it.

You say you would prefer a tighter lsa... when do you see full boost now?
It does seem a bit peaky from the video...... damn i bet that is a little hard to keep going straight

Thanks for any input,

-Jarrod
Old 12-23-2003, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats a sweet ride, sounds awesome.......
Old 12-23-2003, 03:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Turbo's are addictive..I've learned on my wife's GN that when the exhaust goes quiet,the tires are boiling!!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
good to hear..... and very nice car!

I am running a reverse split cam... i got it because i thought it would be a good turbo cam..a little aggressive but better than the hotcam the car had in it when i bought it.

You say you would prefer a tighter lsa... when do you see full boost now?
It does seem a bit peaky from the video...... damn i bet that is a little hard to keep going straight

Thanks for any input,

-Jarrod
Hi Jarrod,
I mean less overlap like a 115 or 117 lsa.
My boost comes in at 2200 rpms and makes max boost by 3000 rpms and power is done by 6000 rpms. Roughly the low boost threshold is 30% of my redline and street driveability is very controllable...

I have to laugh at the guy who said..when the Turbos go quiet the tires are boiling...you are so right.

I was used to where my ATI Procharger (D1) made its power at...610/545 rwhp/tq (Stock heads but the same cam that I have now). It would usually start to break the tires loose around 5000 rpms in 3rd....this Turbo setup starts to do that at 3000 rpms...in fact I have been shifting out of 3rd about 5000 rpms..having to constantly feather the throttle to control wheel spin....I have decided after some practice I am just goint to short shift 3rd like I do 1st and 2nd..and then roll it on to WOT in 4th.

I have been talking to 93Pony about some cam choices...I am wondering if I really need to change the cam. I will go get the first dyno graph and post it here. This dyno is the first run with the SPEC Clutch...it slips at Peak Tq/HP and the numbers are lower than the 2nd dyno run that we did 1 week later...which yielded 590/709 rwhp/tq..clutch is still slipping after peak..if you chart the graph on the other sheet and pencil in where the clutch slips...it makes about 620/730 rwhp/rwtq..pretty good for 9.68 CR and a straight up Hi Lift Cam. Anyway heres the link.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=708973
Old 12-23-2003, 12:01 PM
Turbo Addict

yea that's what i meant.... i am wondering how much difference your cam profile would do on a 116 or so lsa. Even so, full boost by 3000 or so is fine by me.

93Pony is VERY knowledgeable on cams. I used to talk with him alot on the turbomustangs forum when i had my 87. He can definitely answer your questions.
I refered someone on this board to him awhile back... can't remember who though.

Thanks again for the input.... and post up your results if you make a cam swap.

-Jarrod
Old 12-28-2003, 01:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Damn your car is awesome, thats one hell of a dyno.

Quick Reply: TTi driving impressions