Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Thought I'd Try Here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thought I'd Try Here.

I have a thread under Parts Wanted but I had no luck. So I am trying to expand it a little bit. I am looking into getting rid of my APS kit and I want to replace it with something that will be a little better and will last longer. I'm looking to make in the range of 1000whp or 1100whp.

The only reason why I am getting rid of the kit is because I think it wont get me there nor will it last getting there. I also don't really want to spend another 2500 on turbo upgrades because the kit cost me close to 8k when I first bought it.

So if you know anyone who is willing to get rid of something that will get me there that would be awesome. Please let me know.

PS. I am also trying to keep it twin instead of a single larger unit, because my car is setup for that setup and I don't really want to completely re-do my exhaust setup. Unless I don't have to. So if anyone has insight on What I can do please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Also I am open to procharger options. Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Youre better off keeping the kit and just upgrading turbos.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Why so?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

im thinking go with the LGM upgrades and the APS kit should get you there, that would be way cheaper than totally switching setups too
Old 03-07-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if he gets decent price for his kit hard to say as the LG are 2800 bucks plus shipping,tax,etc. I think I paid 5500 or 5999 for my aps kit ,not sure what the OP paid, then you need the kmember and just ordered the turbo upgrade,likely get the upgraded inlets if they make another run of those..So like 10k into the aps kit and still would like to tweak it a bit more ,maybe add scavenger pump for another 300 or so,already got one to install if need be ,go to stainless oil drain hoses,maybe even change up some silicone and clamps to nicer stuff.etc.

But the main thing is the aps kit is already in his car. So just a matter of dropping the kmember and plug and playing the lg center carts and LG cars are already close to the 1000rwhp point and can't see why they won't get there if they are 70lb/min as LG says.
Fact 70lb/min should do over 1000rwhp.
And sounds like there are few other options.Big Bird is checking into billet centers. Kwikkar has got some modded turbos doing good numbers in his car..etc.

But hey its his car and if he wants to switch out setups thats up to him. Modulars and kentuckys are two options and an F1 or whatever is another one.
Personally would never trade my turbo car for a procharged one.That said might still get a procharger at some point on my 96z.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me on this: Keep the kit and upgrade it if you need to. Don't sell it on the for sale forum. You WILL take it in the shorts. That isn't a stab at any potential buyers on there cause I'm one of them. I will tell you that everyone including me and you are going on the for sale forum for one reason- we're looking for deals. Changing your mind on your build direction will cost you more money than you'd care to spend. Don't ask me how I know this. Run what ya got and just make improvements where you need em. Do the upgrades. You've already paved the road now try it out.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I see what you guys are saying. I think I will just get the upgrades and see where it takes me. I really do like the setup of the kit, I just don't like the idea of having the people at APS treat you like crap when you need something. By that I mean them ever getting back to you. I've done a fair amount of research and I think that with these upgrades It should do what it's supposed to. But I would still like to keep other options on the table.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well one thing to say in regards to the service you get from aps: even if you don't get help from them there are many knowledgeable people on here who can help out.
That is the great beauty about a site like this. The only thing you need to do is be able to sift through the b.s. that some people post up. Take advice from those who have been in the game a lot and those who are always trying to be one step ahead of the rest of the pack (the proven setups). Do a lot of research on the products and compare all brands. Don't go out and buy the first product a company puts out. Wait awhile and let the product "get the bugs worked out of it". If there's one thing this forum is known for is constructive criticism. After a product is on the street for a while you'll know just about every querk there is to know about it. Anyways good luck to ya. Chris
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks Chris, I have been sifting all the information on here for a little while. Lots of good stuff on here. I think i'm just going to stick to the FP or LG upgrades and see where it takes me. I mean I did make 710rwhp on 10psi and pump gas. I should have no problem hitting close to or 1000rwhp with the upgrades. Thanks guys.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Great to have another upgraded LG car. We already have several nearing that 1000rwhp mark and sure it will be achieved as more guys get their setups dialed in.
Besides really even 900rwhp heck even 800rwhp is pretty crazy power.
I was running at base 7.5 psi springs and no boost controller,my nitrous not even wired up yet and still my car was pretty wild,managed to scare silly 99% of the people I gave rides in it. My biggest problem even at that boost level and mabye 600 or so rwhp on the standard turbos was traction not power.
I got the bigger LG mainly for reliability not so much for more power.
I hope to have my car out and about in a month or so and hope to get some numbers track and dyno this season for sure.Just to be clear my LG are on order not on the car yet.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Great to have another upgraded LG car. We already have several nearing that 1000rwhp mark and sure it will be achieved as more guys get their setups dialed in.
Besides really even 900rwhp heck even 800rwhp is pretty crazy power.
I was running at base 7.5 psi springs and no boost controller,my nitrous not even wired up yet and still my car was pretty wild,managed to scare silly 99% of the people I gave rides in it. My biggest problem even at that boost level and mabye 600 or so rwhp on the standard turbos was traction not power.
I got the bigger LG mainly for reliability not so much for more power.
I hope to have my car out and about in a month or so and hope to get some numbers track and dyno this season for sure.Just to be clear my LG are on order not on the car yet.
Sounds good. What shot are you running on the car? Yeah I hope to be another LG upgrade person, but since I haven't really heard of many with the LG upgrades and my setup I just don't know what to expect. What scav. pump are you going to be running on yours also?
Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I will likely run 75 to 125 shot here and there. Mostly put in the direct port for intimidation..nothing intimidates like a nitrous purge.! LOL and for car shows..
Spray will instant spool up the bigger turbos as well and supercools things and power from spray is usually higher than the rated shot when combined with boost.
So 75 shot might yield 100 or more actual gain.

I have no doubt can go past 1000rwhp with spray and boost. My fuel system is only good for about 1000rwhp anyway. And not sure want to go much higher than that on even a 6.0 iron block. I did'n't do stud girdle or concrete in the block and don't have six bolt heads. If do want to go high power down the road would build LSX 427 or something with 6 bolt heads.

I cam going to try ramping by rpm with my eboost 2 and possibly ramping by time on the track. Will likley only be making few track runs. No real intention to put in rollbar or rollcage. I have dedicated talon race car project for that sort of thing. Just hope to get my 800rwhp for most daily driving...get a trophy 1000rwhp dyno maybe with possibly combination of boost and small shot. And hit a 9.xx even 9.99 and call it a day for the cars track career. It was built to be an all around street toy. Not lightened up .Full weight,heavy subframes, stereo,dana ,4l80,mags,etc. Don't care have enough power even with stock aps turbos on the built 408.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I might throw in a little spray just to help with turbo spool. But that should really be no problem with these turbos. My build is pretty close to yours. If you would like; just for me to get an idea of what your setup is really like PM me the cam specs or post them on here. I'm pretty interested.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Lingenfelter GT7 208/230 .554/.546 –121CL with 1.8 yella terra rockers lift should be around 590.Duration a touch higher also from the 1.8 rockers..,ls7 lifters. afr 8019 springs.Afr 225 heads. Currently ls7 head gaskets but should change them out to ls9 or cometic. They are not perfect in terms of think steam holes.
408 iron block ..Callies crank,callies rods,arp main studs,rod bolts,head studs. 9.5 to one with wiseco pistons,hellfire rings. Rest as in sig..fast 90/nick williams 90 tb. slp oil pump,double roller timing chain,fluidampr balancer.

I bought a turbowerks scavenger pump..forget the model but pretty sure their best one. I have not installed it yet. I do have some oil smoke on decel. not really seeing any idle or wot. I am going to see how the LG are and then maybe put in the scavenger if it is needed. I will use an fittings and stainless lines.

As for other tips and tricks.. stented stock inlets with 3inch oval muffler pipe. Will maybe buy upgraded inlets they are like six week backorder or can possibly use hard pipe since bought bmr custom for aps kmember.

Only came close to one overheat but it was partly tuning as it was only 70 out that day. Fixed tuning and did'nt see any other overheat but it don't get that hot up here where I live. Still have ordered Ron Davis rad, have bought high flow water pump and run 160 stat,fans set to come on both low temp and redline water wetter.
Not sure if anyroom for aux fans or bigger /more high flow fans.See how it goes this year.

Going to make some spacers and shorten endlinks and put my front sway bar on the car this year. Also for sure going to replace the oil drain hoses even if don't do the scavenger pump. I already replaced aps coolant overflow hose it was crap. Might also buy some better t bolt clamps and possibly some better silicone couplers.Aps cut corners on those.

Think that pretty much covers the aps little issues. Big issue of course is unreliable likely knock off turbos. I did get 6000 miles out of mine but was shipped with kit one dud cracked internally that could have took out my new engine. It put coolant into oil big time. We caught it within couple minutes of start up so hopefully didn't toast bearings and stuff. I didn't bother sending it back in for warranty. Peter did say I could but didn't want to put car down ,driving season is so short and oil cooling is mandatory on the mits 20 g, water cooling is optional although still a good idea.
We gave the car like 5 oil changes in first 500 miles! I disconnected water cooling lines to both turbos not sure which one is the cracked one. And have ran oil cooling only for those 6000 miles.
Car is only driven 7 months of year up here.And not daily driver.

I ran the turbos at stock gate boost ,didn't hook up my eboost 2 control side. Just using it for monitoring. Was scared to up the boost on the standard likely knock off turbos.

Any other questions come to mind on my build just ask away.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
(Same thoughts here!) Your just throwing your money away even if you sold the APS kit for $4000 or so. You can easly reach 1000HP with the APS with LG turbos with no problem at all .Trust me my man ,,,,you'll regreat saling it. Ive allready upgraded to the LG turbos as well and no problems at all. Ill be retunning here in the next few months or so. I put down 633 RWHP on the stock APS turbos with the stock 7psi springs with the rear tires still breaking loose on the dyno last summer ,so im allready close to 800engine HP threw my Rossler (Stage 3) 4L60. I just installed the 10 PSI waste gate springs while i was switching out my turbos and went ahead and installed one of my belt driven scavanging pumps as an added insurance policy since these turbos were close to $2500.There alot of guys that just been hard lineing their turbo oil return lines with no problems either

Last edited by barnat; 03-08-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

What about this kit guys? Instead of the APS?

Last edited by corpserodeo666; 03-09-2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: pic.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 AM
Staging Lane

^^^ I like my a/c!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corpserodeo666
What about this kit guys? Instead of the APS?
If you want something like that then you really need to take it to someone linke Speed Inc and get them to do the work......They will beable to do anything you want!

Regards,

Chris.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RocTex31
^^^ I like my a/c!
This kit retains A/C and this one is for sale also.

Quick Reply: Thought I'd Try Here.