Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Personal turbo design?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personal turbo design?

I have a 2005 silverado that I am considering building my own turbo kit due to seeing some other company's poor design that does not give true o2 bank reading because they share the same bank into the turbo so my design is to flip the manifolds forward and directing both over to the airfilter position into an 2 into 1 turbo merge collector with the T4 flange and dual 2.5" inlets, so were could I get such a collector, and what are your thoughts on this idea?
Old 04-04-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who's kit you reffering to?
You sure they share the same bank or is it wideband and ecm O2 you see?
Your idea is fine plenty of people have done it on both trucks & cars.I am really curious as to where you seen the O2's on the same bank though?
Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 AM
12 Second Club

columbia river mandrel bends has just about everything you need to build turbo piping.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Well I wont name any of the turbo companys but I will say that nelson performance is the company that does not share the banks designed for silverado's and I appreciate your help it seems like I can build my own turbo well under $5k, what turbo would you recommend and don't say master power?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

Man that place is pretty cheap it seems like there flange part# is the same as stainless works but they are alot cheaper!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Launching!

I build my last bike's exhaust out of stuff I bought from Columbia, so I'll vouch for em!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Banned

Yeah I just cut my flanges off my stock exhaust manifolds for v-band assembly, I will probably run across the engine in the front somewhere near the ballancer 2.5" to the factory airfilter location where I will probably put the turbo this way I can isolate a o2 sensor in each bank. What would you guys recommmend for the hot pipes SS or mild I know I have seen alot of SS welds crack after a while and I am wondering if there will to much heat up front, I like how detroit diesel does there turbos put them right on top of the engine with equal lengths hot pipes going to it and is precission a good turbo?
Old 04-05-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Precision seems to work well for a lot of people.Its what i am going to use.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverCC
.... What would you guys recommmend for the hot pipes SS or mild I know I have seen alot of SS welds crack after a while and I am wondering if there will to much heat up front, I like how detroit diesel does there turbos put them right on top of the engine with equal lengths hot pipes going to it and is precission a good turbo?
I chose 304 stainless (purge welded) on my build. I am embarrassed to say how much $$$ I have tied up in stainless (once I got into the actual build, the design changed a few times)...but can say that not all suppliers are selling the same quality "304"....so do some research and talk to folks that have bought from a given vendor. You'd think that 304 is 304...but some vendors sell crap as 304. I'm not going to name names, but one of the most-often-mentioned companies sold me some ****...and I'll never do business with them again. I have also read somewhere that 321 is better for the high heat, but can't remember where. We just made sure that the turbo's weight was braced with a couple of hangers/braces, and had the whole system purge welded. I'm hoping it all holds up....I'm thinking it will be fine. As far as who has the cheapest prices....well, the price seems to fluctuate fairly often with a given vendor. If they are sitting on a bunch of "old stock" that cost them a premium...but current market price is lower...you'll still pay the higher price, because they are not going to take a loss on their inventory. Bottom line....shop around, this **** is not cheap, that is for sure :-)
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

I would like to think that I could build my whole turbo kit under $3k but the forged engine and built trans is another story I wish I could do the whole build under $10k I mean it seems like you don't need to go all drastic on heads and cams just needs to be forged!
Old 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

I was wondering what you guys think I should build the hot pipes out of 304 ss or the aluminumized I know that ss cracks sometimes but I am using the flipped exhaust manifolds so it will be more heavy duty and is columbia river a good tubing supplier?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Ryan, you can keep creating screenames and I can keep banning them, jsut because youre on the tech side doesnt mean you fly under the radar
Old 04-06-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilverCC
I have a 2005 silverado that I am considering building my own turbo kit due to seeing some other company's poor design that does not give true o2 bank reading because they share the same bank into the turbo so my design is to flip the manifolds forward and directing both over to the airfilter position into an 2 into 1 turbo merge collector with the T4 flange and dual 2.5" inlets, so were could I get such a collector, and what are your thoughts on this idea?
I guess those "poor" designs are only good for running 9's and 140mph+ hu??? Probable made out of fence post too... ...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Yeah what the hell do you know Kyle? Everyone knows your fence post log manifolds only work good enough to push a 5000# 4wd truck down the 1/4 in the mid 9 second range and with a few more tweaks trap close to 150 all on a huge 370 cubic inch motor

Quick Reply: Personal turbo design?