Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cam ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam ?

ive seen that there r 2 different LS6 cams the first with 520 lift and the later 1 with 550 lift.i see lots of guys useing a LS6 cam in there turbo build and just want to know if everyone is using the bigger 1 or is anybody running good with the smaller 1 or maybe its better to go with a custom turbo cam ? Thanks for any help you can give Chris
Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Bump up
Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 186 Likes on 111 Posts

The later LS6 cam is the more desirable one of the two. Just a little bigger. Neither one is a giant step up from the stock LS whatever cam you have now. It works good for whatever mod you're considering. Folks like it because it's just about impossible to mess up. It will produce more power vs a stock cam in just about any application you use it in.....f/i or n/a. It's cheap and available (although not as cheap and avialable as it used to be).

Having said all that, the fact is that it's not magic. The cam is a pretty important piece to the puzzle. If you're trying to optimize your set up, why not optimize the cam you're using to get everything just right? I've seen this cam used in everything from stock 4.8L trucks to 800hp drag racing rigs. I'm not quite convinced that it's the best cam for both set ups.

There are folks around that are pretty good at coming up with cams that are optimized for the mods you're considering. Patrick G has speced a couple of cams for me. Both did exactly as I wanted. An LS6 cam will cost you 150 to 200 bucks. Custom speced cam will cost a couple hundred more. It's worth it to get it just right.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

we are setting this guys car up as a budget build 370 cu. in. motor with an 88mm turbo(probably)

do you guys think the ls6 cam will be okay in the 370
we know its not optimal but it is budget friendly and has provided decent results for many
Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedcrazy2
we are setting this guys car up as a budget build 370 cu. in. motor with an 88mm turbo(probably)

do you guys think the ls6 cam will be okay in the 370
we know its not optimal but it is budget friendly and has provided decent results for many
Not for a moment saying there's anything wrong with going with that cam in your build. I'm using it in my MP122 blown GMC truck. My son had it in his turbo 5.7L truck too. It made enough power in his truck at 9psi to break a con rod. If I had it on the shelf, and didn't want to spend the $ for a custom spec cam, I'd damn sure use it.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Not for a moment saying there's anything wrong with going with that cam in your build. I'm using it in my MP122 blown GMC truck. My son had it in his turbo 5.7L truck too. It made enough power in his truck at 9psi to break a con rod. If I had it on the shelf, and didn't want to spend the $ for a custom spec cam, I'd damn sure use it.
well you got one you want to sell?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedcrazy2
well you got one you want to sell?
My son's cam was damaged when his motor cratered. When I build a new motor for my truck, the cam will be for sale. Not just yet though.

Quick Reply: cam ?